Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

My Modifications And Upgrades

iQ-Chris

Hi everyone

I'm Chris, I'm in my mid-20s and I recently bought a Toyota iQ 2! It has red leather seats which I guess you'll either love or hate! In all honesty, I wasn't keen on the standard black fabric seats with the spotted seat bases which I feel don't match together very well.

I was all geared up to buying a Smart, almost by default as I wanted the smallest possible vehicle with the best possible specification. I test drove the Smart and it felt like I was riding on top of a lawnmower, rather than sitting inside a more stable car. The only thing it had over the iQ was the sunroof - but how often am I going to look up?

I decided I'd go for either a white or black iQ, never having owned a 'plain' car before. I'd always gone for bright colours (turquoise, orange, white, blue) but the iQ is quirky enough as it is. The rear windows and body plastic looked neater against the black paintwork, to my eyes.

I traded in my Mini (second generation, '07-'13) which was loaded with features normally only found on bigger cars. The iQ is a lot smaller but still has some of those features, but I'm planning on making some minor modifications (all cosmetic, nothing mechanical) to improve the practicality of this already very practical little car.

I've been reading this forum over the last couple of weeks and have really appreciated the handy tips and advice that you guys are giving. I'd like to share my plans for my iQ with you all.

Thanks!

post-141159-0-04169600-1403710277_thumb.

• Like 1

Here's my first mod, as recommended by forum member (and iQ guru) David, who was also kind enough to fit them for me. My poor contribution to the exercise was holding the interior door panel while David swapped the handles over! Thanks again, David!

Chrome isn't to everybody's taste, but I think it gives the cabin a premium look and the handles match in very nicely with the chrome around the audio speaker. The handles come in a set of four, so I went 50/50 with another forum member, Christophe. So, the two Chris' now have the same upgrade.

I made the journey to David's workshop for another reason, which I'll post shortly :)

post-141159-0-77314100-1403713993_thumb.

Spotted Black seats on IQ have been designed by Stev'y Wonder in my view !

• Like 2

Hi Chris, Nice colour for the iQ. Got to agree on the subject of the chrome look door handles, they do increase the ambiance somewhat, what!

Thanks for your replies. The standard-fit black seats with spotted seat bases not only look a bit mis-matched (to me!) but they look pretty uncomfortable with little support. Perhaps they're better to sit in than they look!

Here's the next mod: Upgraded central and rear lighting by David.

I know that a few of you have sent David your central light for modification but those who haven't, don't delay. The standard-fit light is almost useless (a basic torch would serve better) and is much improved by David's handy work. It surely gives an extra 80% light, brightening up much more of the cabin.

I travelled to David's workshop for him to fit this light, as well as two small LED lights above the rear headrests. David kindly forgave my indecisiveness while I pondered the pros and cons of having 1 or 2 LEDs, and where exactly they should be placed. I'd toyed with putting them just inside the rear windows, but I'm pleased David guided me towards having them where they are now. It means that with the seats up, they serve as reading/courtesy lamps for rear passengers and brighten up the tiny boot space. With the seats down, the entire area is illuminated. I'm really pleased with them, David did an incredibly neat job for a very fair price. Contact David (username: tarquin) if you're interested.

post-141159-0-07286100-1403901960_thumb.

Another satisfied member, its a day for good news, It looks really good.

Looks "very cool" to me !

When I bought the iQ a few weeks ago, I noticed that the most 'plasticky' area of the cabin is around the handbrake/gear shift. I noticed that the all-new Aygo has (questionable) splashes of gloss black/coloured trim around the dash and gear shift and wondered about having it in the iQ. Then I found pictures of the iQ EV which already has black gloss, and somebody on Facebook has painted theirs to match the bodywork on their car.

The centre console on the standard iQ (2011 onwards) isn't just black gloss, it has specks of glitter in it. So Toyota matched this around the gear shift in the EV (please see the smallest picture, inset, taken from a youtube video). I've never spray painted plastic trim before, so I'll have to investigate that. But, before I look into that, does anybody have any idea how I'd get the same gloss black with glitter? My first stop will be Toyota, but I can't imagine they'll be very interested :ermm:

post-141159-0-82371800-1403956740_thumb.

Hello,

for the centre console, I just glued a small chrome strip: fast and easy, and I like the result. :bye:

post-136862-0-04751700-1403979763_thumb.

Christophe

What unit us reading 11.7 in the picture

David

Hi David,

This is my voltmeter. 11.7 volts

Yes, my Battery starts to be old, I charge it quite often, but it rarely stays above 12 V.. :disgust:

• Like 1

Oh ok it looks like an original control when you have the manual A/C

David

That's right, it is exactly the same size,.. :flowers:

Thanks for the inspiration on the centre console :) I'm lacking the paint code and the skill, but I want to do something so I'll think on about it :D

In the meantime, I've bought the auto-locking door plug-in (mentioned in another thread) for £12ish, and I've started wondering how easy it would be to switch off the alarm/beep when:

1. the door is opened (but the warning light should still come on as usual)

2. the seat belt isn't worn

3. the radio is turned off (I get 2 long beeps and it's so obtrusive that I almost wonder if it's normal..?)

All thoughts greatly appreciated!

• Like 1

Hi David,

This is my voltmeter. 11.7 volts

Yes, my battery starts to be old, I charge it quite often, but it rarely stays above 12 V.. :disgust:

Great minds think alike ;)

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/139757-auxiliary-gauges/

In the meantime, I've bought the auto-locking door plug-in (mentioned in another thread) for £12ish, and I've started wondering how easy it would be to switch off the alarm/beep when:

3. the radio is turned off (I get 2 long beeps and it's so obtrusive that I almost wonder if it's normal..?)

A lot of settings (but not all !) can be adjusted from your computer if you buy a small OBD2-USB adapter, like the one called "mini-VCI"

for example, http://www.ebay.fr/itm/16-Pin-Mini-VCI-TIS-Techstream-diagnostic-v8-10-021-Version-unique-cable-Toyota-/161240463842?pt=FR_JG_Auto_Tuning&hash=item258aae39e2

This device will allow you to turn off the sound and/or the lights for every seat belt.

Christophe

• Like 1

A lot of settings (but not all !) can be adjusted from your computer if you buy a small OBD2-USB adapter, like the one called "mini-VCI"

for example, http://www.ebay.fr/itm/16-Pin-Mini-VCI-TIS-Techstream-diagnostic-v8-10-021-Version-unique-cable-Toyota-/161240463842?pt=FR_JG_Auto_Tuning&hash=item258aae39e2

This device will allow you to turn off the sound and/or the lights for every seat belt.

Christophe

Thanks for this Christophe -- I've just ordered one.

....will switch off the alarm/beep for open doors, seatbelts and radio?

I know it can switch off the beep for the seat belts (I did it for the driver's belt only)

For the door I think it cannot.

Actually there are many options in the software, and I never took the time to explore entirely.

What can also be done is programming one or 2 extra new keys for the smart entry system.

I now looking for an economical way to buy them.

But so far the best price I get is 125 euros, which I think is still too much. OK, it is much cheaper from Russia or India, but....

It can be interesting for people who lost a key...

Christophe, I'd be interested to see a screenshot of the software if possible, please. I just wonder how easy it is to navigate.

Tonight's job was changing the air filter. I presume the original has never been changed in the 2 years the car has been on the road and, although Toyota won't change it until the car's 4 years old, it seems sensible to do it sooner.

post-141159-140485446661_thumb.jpg

That was the easy part. Unfortunately for me, the windscreen wipers proved more difficult! I don't know why they won't come off and I'm afraid of breaking something. Any tips?

Sent from my iPhone using Toyota OC

Chris

What software are you referring to?

David

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links