Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Battery Problem

Montelbano

Had car for 6 months. Battery discharging in less than 2 weeks. Been into dealer twice. Only outcome is they say Battery is ok. No testing done to check drain rate. Customer support not interested. No offer of any support. Dealer has offered to fit trickle charge unit and adaptor but wants me to pay for it. No answer to question, if I leave it at airport car park for 2 weeks what do I do on return when Battery is flat. Thought Toyota were quality business. Shows how mistaken you can be.
This is a common problem. Dealership demonstrator has same problem. Also internet research reveals same.

Update Feb 2015

Dealer eventually suppied and fitted FOC an Optimate 4 charge unit. They cabled this in to battery with sealed plug in adapter under front number plate. Dealer recommends this is connected at all times when vehicle parked in garage. Obviously prevents flat battery but not ideal solution.

Complaint through Toyota Customer Care never closed. After Optimate fitted all communication ended.

No answer to question, if I leave it at airport car park for 2 weeks what do I do on return when battery is flat.

Welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

Presumably you would need to make use of Toyota Roadside Assistance, to either jump start the car or get it recovered to a Toyota dealer.

No mention of Battery problems in the Honest John review - http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/toyota/gt86-2012/?section=good

and your topic is the first mention on TOC

It's battery there's a new one out for gt86 we have fitted loads

It's battery there's a new one out for gt86 we have fitted loads

What information do you use to offer this statement? There are no technical service bulletins nor has the factory fitted part number changed since the car was launched?

Which part genuine or Optifit?

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem, got back from a 2 week holiday last Sunday and Battery was flat as a pancake, luckily I had some jump leads in the back from helping a mate out previously otherwise I would have been p**sed. Not really good enough I have to agree. I've not contacted Toyota but may mention it next time it goes in for a service. I did give me more reason for some redline action on the drive back from the airport though :)

• 3 months later...

I have had the same problem with mine which I bought from new..... they even fitted a bigger Battery.... still only lasts 11 days..... went to go out in it yesterday.... cold weather has started and it was so flat there wasn't even an ignition light... Thank god for the 5 year warranty..

Had car for 6 months. Battery discharging in less than 2 weeks. Been into dealer twice. Only outcome is they say battery is ok. No testing done to check drain rate. Customer support not interested. No offer of any support. Dealer has offered to fit trickle charge unit and adaptor but wants me to pay for it. No answer to question, if I leave it at airport car park for 2 weeks what do I do on return when battery is flat. Thought Toyota were quality business. Shows how mistaken you can be.

This is a common problem. Dealership demonstrator has same problem. Also internet research reveals same.

I have had the same problem from new.... new Battery fitted so it lasts 11 days now.... very unhappy...

• 3 months later...

Constant problems with my Battery going flat if my GT86 is left unused for 5 days or more. At first service, Toyota Dealer ran an overnight check and said Battery was fine although I had already had to call out Toyota Roadside Assistance. Car is due it's second annual service and I will again complain but I have little hope that anything will be done. I too have seen all the complaints on the internet and some owners appear to have had replacement larger capacity batteries fitted and others like me have been refused.

• 1 month later...

I had the same problem, got back from a 2 week holiday last Sunday and battery was flat as a pancake, luckily I had some jump leads in the back from helping a mate out previously otherwise I would have been p**sed. Not really good enough I have to agree. I've not contacted Toyota but may mention it next time it goes in for a service. I did give me more reason for some redline action on the drive back from the airport though :)

Is it ok to jump start the GT86? Ive been told that this can confuse the electrics and you have to get it reprogrammed.

Our Toyota dealer eventually replaced my Battery at the second service with a larger capacity one.

Mine has been started with a booster pack by the AA but I usually put it on charge for a few hours if it is flat and then take it for a long drive.

I have recently bought a CTEK Battery charger/conditioner and wired in a quick connect socket so prepared for it going flat at home but obviously does not cover for 2 or 3 weeks left in an airport car park.

• 7 months later...

Presumably you would need to make use of Toyota Roadside Assistance,
to either jump start the car or get it recovered to a Toyota dealer.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links