Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Prius Plug In

tyrosmick

Thanks Ian for your answer to my query. I think I will wait to see what the new PIP is like and the new Gen 4. I may even be tempted to go for a late 2014 Prius.

It has been rumored that the next PiP might arrive in the UK in late 2015, early 2016. Also rumors that there are hundreds just waiting to be sold in UK car parks. You pays your money and takes your choice.

It you want one, I would get one, there is really no telling when the Gen 4 PiP will be introduced, if ever (I am sure it will be after the ordinary Gen 4 is) and I am sure Toyota know what they are doing over prices and shifting old stock, you could wait for literally years and still lose money.

For Ian and/or other PiP owners.

Do you charge at home using the supplied cable on your domestic circuit or something like the BG offer? Do you/can you use an extension cable?

Decision on purchase to be made this week!

Many thanks

It was always WAY overpriced for what it is or was. A new model is due out later this year. The PIP whilst very capable and will likely be very good at it's job, is very poor value compared to the competition. The 15 mile range will more likely be 10 miles in average driving conditions and one has to question whether it's worth the hassle.

If you get one at the right price then it's a good car and will last, but do not pay full book for it or the overly inflated second hand values demanded by dealers. The car is arguably £5,000 over priced.

The new Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV is cheaper and goes further on electric, goes faster, is larger etc. Also, Toyota have recently reduced the warranty on their hybrid cars from April 2014. My alarm bells are ringing on that one!

It was always WAY overpriced for what it is or was. A new model is due out later this year. The PIP whilst very capable and will likely be very good at it's job, is very poor value compared to the competition. The 15 mile range will more likely be 10 miles in average driving conditions and one has to question whether it's worth the hassle.

If you get one at the right price then it's a good car and will last, but do not pay full book for it or the overly inflated second hand values demanded by dealers. The car is arguably £5,000 over priced.

The new Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV is cheaper and goes further on electric, goes faster, is larger etc. Also, Toyota have recently reduced the warranty on their hybrid cars from April 2014. My alarm bells are ringing on that one!

I agree totally. The Mitsubishi PHEV also has a cabin pre-heat facility which is sadly missing from the PIP.

I normally charge at home using a PodPoint which was free, lots of others available as well. I have used the brick a couple of times, no real difference to using the the PodPoint.

I have used my and other people's extension cables with no problems. I cant understand the fuss made about them, if they are rated for the current they will carry the current.

I have never bothered with the type 2 to type 1 cable as the £175 cost would never be balanced by charging away from home. Any way it is not necessary, the PiP is a stupendous hybrid with low consumption even when the traction Battery is empty.

I normally charge at home using a PodPoint which was free, lots of others available as well. I have used the brick a couple of times, no real difference to using the the PodPoint.

I have used my and other people's extension cables with no problems. I cant understand the fuss made about them, if they are rated for the current they will carry the current.

I have never bothered with the type 2 to type 1 cable as the £175 cost would never be balanced by charging away from home. Any way it is not necessary, the PiP is a stupendous hybrid with low consumption even when the traction battery is empty.

Thanks Ian, very helpful as ever.

As a above.

Ian, did your PiP come with two leads from new, the 3 pin one with the inline brick, and one for EV street charging points (2 ends which look like either could go into the car). The one I test drove had two it I forgot to ask the dealer if they're both supplied.

Also where is the USB for the iPod connectivity? I forgot to look for this, but don't remember seeing one. Is it in the glove box?

There is no problem using an extension lead so long as it is rated and rated correctly for the long term high power use such as charging an EV or a fan heater etc.

The problem occurs when people think an extension lead is an extension lead and that they're all the same, and then try and charge their car off a £4.99 3 amp extension lead designed for a fan or bedside lamp. Or a cheap, dodgy, falsely rated Chinese special from eBay where it will either electrocute you, short out and burn your house down or just melt under load.

Use a correctly rated extension lead that is happy to take the load for hours and hours, plugged into a house with modern or uprated electrics and there shouldn't be a problem. They usually cost quite a few quid more, but they're designed for the job. You get what you pay for.

I think the car manufacturers just worry that some Wally will set fire to their house using one of the above eBay special extensions, plugging it into their 1950's bakerlite rusty socket in their garage and having an old 1930's fuse board with fuses made of bare fuse wire, all with a real dodgy earth. Most people will take precautions and uprate or have their electrics checked first when getting a PHEV or EV, but there's always one who doesn't. They're the one spoiling it for everyone else :)

ps, I'm NOT an electrician. Always seek their advice with any questions about anything electrical.

• Like 1

There is no problem using an extension lead so long as it is rated and rated correctly for the long term high power use such as charging an EV or a fan heater etc...

...I think the car manufacturers just worry that some Wally will set fire to their house...

Well said!

I would only add that if using a wind-up type extension lead you probably need to fully unwind it for that sort of load. Running significant power through it whilst partly coiled will generate more heat than when fully unwound.

I regularly used such a wind up, sufficiently rated for the load and fully unwound, when I used to charge a third party converted Gen 2 Prius that my firm at the time had. To start with I used a plug-in monitor from Maplins that told me how much electricity it used, plus instantaneous voltage, amps etc and felt the cable and plugs several times during the charging period for the first few times. No problems at all, and that was with a much bigger Battery (good for about 40 miles) than the official plug-in gets.

Just as a matter of interest, what sort of amperage are we talking about here? I don't have one of these so it's not going to affect me but, like a cat, I'm eternally curious :)

Just as a matter of interest, what sort of amperage are we talking about here?...

I'm sorry, it was 7 years ago and I really can't remember now, only that it was within the capabilities of the lead I was using.

Just as a matter of interest, what sort of amperage are we talking about here? I don't have one of these so it's not going to affect me but, like a cat, I'm eternally curious :)

To use in a UK plug it would have to be rated at, or over 13 amps. Found the following after a quick google;

http://www.industrialextensionleads.co.uk/13amp-extension-leads-729-c.asp

Now they look the business to me but I am happy to be corrected by someone who knows better. But I understand the cable also has to be a certain thickness too.

Anyone got details of one they actually use?

I had just the one cable supplied 'the brick' I would love the other one but not cost effective. I have never heard of it being supplied with the car, I suspect it was so the dealer could charge from their installed public charger.

I deliberately don't have an extension on a reel as it is so difficult to store. A loose cable will tuck in the rear storage slot neatly and when it is in use spreads itself out for cooling nicely. Not a problem.

The pull on charging is around 10A but the standard off the shelf 13A cable is fine. Mine has a RCD incorporated plug (not adapter) on the end which is also recommended so it can't be used without it and a weatherproof socket is also available.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SMJ-RCDPWC-RCD-Plug-Adaptor/dp/B00DUFB40W/ref=pd_sxp_grid_i_2_2

http://www.bamfordtrading.com/products/ips-ms-masterplug-weatherproof-outdoor-trailing-13a-socket-ip54-rated-rewireable-power.html

The socket was not available when I set up so I use a weatherproof cover (bulky) or just keep the brick and connector in the car.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CABLE-EXTENSION-COVER-WATERPROOF-OUTDOOR-PLUG-SOCKET-/221359577930?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Other&hash=item338a0f1b4a

I would only add that if using a wind-up type extension lead you probably need to fully unwind it for that sort of load. Running significant power through it whilst partly coiled will generate more heat than when fully unwound.

Yup.

You should always fully unwind extension leads. When coiled up, they are like an electric bar heater and will generate heat when a current flows. The higher the current, the more heat you get and if it is coiled up in its carrying case, there is nowhere for the heat to go...

Unwind it and leave the cable uncovered so it can cool in the air.

I understand the cable also has to be a certain thickness too.

Certainly does. The conductors and the insulation.

If you are using an extension lead for a long time at the top end of its rating, it is going to get very warm and any that are substandard will become dangerous.

Manufacturers of the cheaper products will cut corners by leaving out a strand of copper in the conductors and/or using less effective insulation.

If you are going to be using an extension lead to charge your car, get a proper one from a reputable dealer.

Put a deposit down on a PIP first thing this morning. 9 months old, 12k on the clock and has rear parking sensors and tinted rear windows (was this which made me choose this particular one as my current car has tinted rear windows and rear parking sensors).

Hoping to pick up in a fortnight once DVLA have returned paperwork for my private plate retention for my current car. Can't wait to collect, it's the other side of the country, but any excuse for a good road trip, and you can't beat getting to know a new car than my having a long drive home in it.

Ah, and I've found a new sealed 15 meter 13 amp extension lead in the garage rated to 3kw, which should be ample for the PIP. Result :D

Put a deposit down on a PIP first thing this morning. 9 months old, 12k on the clock and has rear parking sensors and tinted rear windows (was this which made me choose this particular one as my current car has tinted rear windows and rear parking sensors).

Hoping to pick up in a fortnight once DVLA have returned paperwork for my private plate retention for my current car. Can't wait to collect, it's the other side of the country, but any excuse for a good road trip, and you can't beat getting to know a new car than my having a long drive home in it.

Ah, and I've found a new sealed 15 meter 13 amp extension lead in the garage rated to 3kw, which should be ample for the PIP. Result :D

Well done you! Colour?

Well done you! Colour?

The most common of all it would seem, white :)

TBH its the best colour for the PIP imo, doesn't seem to be any other decent colours to pick from (not that one gets much of a choice when buying used and the most common colour is white).

Well done you! Colour?

TBH its the best colour for the PIP imo, doesn't seem to be any other decent colours to pick from (not that one gets much of a choice when buying used and the most common colour is white).

I would agree. Hope DVLA turn the retention around quick enough for you. I also have a private plate so would be interested to hear how well they do. Good luck!

Well done you! Colour?

I would agree. Hope DVLA turn the retention around quick enough for you. I also have a private plate so would be interested to hear how well they do. Good luck!

A friend removed his from his Alfa back in April, was a 10 day turn around, but looking on the DVLA site, that is correct for the change of plate, but the V5C (the all important part when it comes to trading in) could take up to 4 weeks, although I'm hoping not. WIll keep you up to date with it.

Am I right in understanding that when comparing the PIP to a T-Spirit, there is no option which includes a reverse camera with guidance lines showing the direction of travel nor radar cruise control?

Am I right in understanding that when comparing the PIP to a T-Spirit, there is no option which includes a reverse camera with guidance lines showing the direction of travel nor radar cruise control?

I don't think the option exists for radar cruise control (no mention of it when searching the net extensively) although it doesn't worry me, what I've not had I can't miss, and don't feel I'd use it much, It has a camera though, not sure about guidance lines though?

One reason for wanting sensors on the rear, I feel the camera is more gimmick, I'd rather an audible warning for the rear, while I can maintain all round observations, especially front wings when reversing on full lock, rather than concentrate on a screen and miss something which has moved in the mean time etc.

The PIP has a rear camera without the guidance lines. The T-Spirit gets radar (aka adaptive) cruise control if the pre-crash safety option is specified (uses the same radar), but that package is not available on the PIP (at least, not in the UK - not sure if the US gets the option, they certainly have more options on their PIP, including electrically operated driver seat).

I've driven some Lexus Hybrids with the adaptive cruise control, and whilst it's unnerving the first few times it applies the brakes when traffic in front slows or stops (I had my foot hovering over the brake pedal) it soon becomes second nature and I would certainly have it if I could. It was also amusing seeing little brake lights appear on the small car image in the dash when the system braked for you!

• Like 1

...One reason for wanting sensors on the rear, I feel the camera is more gimmick, I'd rather an audible warning for the rear, ....

I have both camera and front/rear sensors, but they both have their uses and limitations.

The camera can be obscured by raindrops or bright direct sunlight, but otherwise gives a very useful wide angle view where you can see the whole rear bumper - also handy when reversing up to yellow lines!

The sensors can miss very narrow posts, as my former partner discovered to her cost when they failed to detect a thin metal post that made a big (£400) mess of her rear bumper!

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links