Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Struggling To Set Timing After Belt Change..

Exvec

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/160613-crankshaft-pulley-puller will-this-do-the-job/page-2

Thought i would post a new thread as i seem to have come up against a small problem.

Is there a knack to getting the belt to line up with the timing marks after installing a new belt.

After lining up all marks and starting to fit the new belt it seems to jump a tooth on the crankshaft spocket so i'm finding myself starting over again but can't seem to get it right and i know it is paramount for the marks to line up ?am i doing some thing wrong here.

I have done quiet a few belts but never had this problem before.I must say that the job is involved due to everything that needs to be undone and taken off...started at 10am this morning but had to retire at 6 ish anyway.

The belt i bought for the job is a contitech kit with the tensioner pulley and idler pulley and i have cross referenced the belt with there on line catalogue and it is the right part for the job according to there list.

Appreciate any suggestions on this cheers.

Have you got the old one back on and correctly lined up?

If so you could try this.

Use tippex to mark the belt at the key points (a dab either side of the dots on the belt teeth will do).

When you remove the old belt - copy the dabs onto the new belt. Refitting should then be a breeze.

If you have no belt - the teeth on the side furthest from the tensioner must be applied over the cam pulley from the crank to start with. The pulley tensioner just takes up the slack.

• Like 1

Thanks Gary that's good advice will try putting the old belt back on tomorrow and mark it up.

I had same problem with the camshaft....what I did was loosen the tensioner again, then loosen the belt around the camshaft, I then with a spanner turned the sproket a tad..when tensioned up again it was all spot on bang on the money.....the original belt seemed half a tooth out looking at the crankshaft dot...it just would not line up on the dot....now it does...maybe the old belt had stretched? I dunno?

• Like 1

I always count the teeth on a new belt and make sure they're the same as the old one. Maybe worth a shot?

• Like 1

Finally got the belt on after 4 hours of faffin around with it,the old belt had stretched a tad marked it up as per Gazes suggestion and it did the trick so thanks for that Gaz,knocked off now though as it keeps on showering,will carry on with the rebuild to morrow which will be the third day of attack,oh well just as well I'm off work all this week.

I had same problem with the camshaft....what I did was loosen the tensioner again, then loosen the belt around the camshaft, I then with a spanner turned the sproket a tad..when tensioned up again it was all spot on bang on the money.....the original belt seemed half a tooth out looking at the crankshaft dot...it just would not line up on the dot....now it does...maybe the old belt had stretched? I dunno?

I always count the teeth on a new belt and make sure they're the same as the old one. Maybe worth a shot?

I did actually resort to that count Alan and it was the same amount of teeth on the new one (178) its just that the old one had stretched quite a lot ,anyway just goes to show it needed doing ,irrespective its only done 42 odd thousand miles but its 8 years old ,so anyone putting this off i would say first chance you get do it.

Turn engine by crank bolt a couple to times and make sure marks line up before rebuilding it all

• Like 1

I have read on another forum that kits come with a locking pin(essentially a fat long needle like) which locks sprockets and stuff in place so these dont move when you try to put the belt on.

Regards,

Waqar

Well the job is done and dusted after 2 good days spent on her but cant grumble ,i bought this kit..http://www.mister-auto.co.uk/en/timing-belt-kit/contitech-ct1043k1_g307_a031CT1043K1.html,

Pig of a job though this one,done a fair few belts in my time,this ranks as one of the most awkward due to the amount of things that need to be stripped off ,took a few pics as well which adds to the job time,will do a "how too" when i get the time.

Heres a tip for anyone doing this job,there's a steel carrier plate which holds the engine damper and the power steering pump,when re fixing make doubly sure that all the holes line up this is critical as the top cover wont go back on right and also the PSP bracket wont go back on which happened to me and i had to strip it all down again :ffs:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the tip,

I was going to do mine this weekend but looks like weather is not on my side.

you done the how2 yet mate?

Thanks for the tip,

I was going to do mine this weekend but looks like weather is not on my side.

you done the how2 yet mate?

Can't do the "How To" bud my Daughter has deleted the photos from my digi camera.by accident.

If you follow this how too you won't go far wrong and if you are struggling with something ,post up and we'll see if we can help.

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/110862-renew-timing-belt/

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links