Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Wobbly/loose Clutch

buklau111

This Auris seems to be full of problems here and there... Now the clutch is wobbly and loose. You can wiggle it forwards and backwards and when you depress it slowly it squeeks. I dont know what this is but it doesent look safe or anything, 1 thing i suspect is that it may be the switch for the stop/start but its really loose ( not like its going to fall off, its just the actual bit where you push the clutch, not the frame work of it). You cant wobble it sideways but back and forth works.

Presume it is the clutch pedal, not the actual clutch.

I'm struggling to understand this one. The clutch pedal should be strongly mounted and have very little "play" sideways. There should be a softer "feel" to the clutch at the top of the stroke, ie before it takes up the strain. It's possible to squeak, as is any metal moving part - a little lubrication to the squeaking section should cure it. Any ancillaries fitted to the clutch pedal mechanism should be fairly secure and not wobbly.

Its the actual pedal where the rubber is. The rubber its self is not loose, its the square shaped pedal, sideways play is very little but move it up and down, there is alot of play.

Ours is an auto so I can't compare, but it doesn't sound right. Are you saying that the clutch pedal consists of two sections - the actual operating lever mechanism, and the wide plate which your foot presses against (the bit with the rubber cover), and that the wide plate is loose from the pedal?

its the bit where you put your foot on, the rubber and the metal the rubber sits on is loose.

Doesn't sound right, have it checked by someone who knows Toyotas.

The pedal pad is welded and fixed to the clutch pedal only the rubber cover is available separately, when you say its loose, is it just the rubber pad sliding about or is the metal pedal pad moving separately from the clutch pedal itself?

Depending on model the pedal could also be a single piece plastic pedal again with a separately available rubber pad

None of the cars feature a hinged pedal pad which would allow it to pivot back and forwards

• Like 1

Hi Omar. I looked on ToyoDIY and the illustration seems to show a plastic type.

Anyway, I think a stop may have fallen off, or mounting bracket screws are loose. The other thing is the master cylinder may be slightly sticking, but I hope this is not the case. The worst case is the pivot hole has elongated.

As already stated there is play at the top of the clutch pedal travel.

Get the fixings checked and secured first.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links