Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

"eco Power Gauge"

Cowdenite

Does anyone know what the Eco Power Gauge measures on a Yaris Hybrid? I first thought RPM or Manifold vacuum then realised that it still shows a reading when running with the ICE stopped.

Had our car for about 4.5 months now and still pleased with it recently on a run of 115 miles with two passengers and holiday luggage it averaged 68.1 mpg on the car display (I know this can be a bit optimistic).

Sure - it basically shows the level of power being demanded or regenerated.

When you first switch on and remain stationary, the needle should be at the top of the "charge" area, as in the picture.

DSCF4094%20-%20Yaris%20Hybrid%20Instrume

The bottom quarter is the regeneration area - if you lift off the accelerator whilst moving above a few mph without braking, you'll see it move down slightly into this area. As you brake, the needle moves further into this area, and the harder you brake the further into the area it moves. When it reaches the bottom, you have maximum regenerative braking - pressing harder will start to use the friction brakes as well.

As you accelerate, the needle moves upward into the first half of the "Eco" area (the second quarter of the scale from the bottom) - whilst the needle stays in this area the car will use the electric motor as much as possible, unless there is insufficient charge or it needs to run the engine for other reasons (e.g. warming up, or heating the car).

The next half of the "Eco" area brings in the engine as well, unless you have selected EV mode.

The top quarter (pwr - power) means you're demanding more power at the expense of economy, but still fairly economical as long as you don't stay there too much. Continuing to press the accelerator after the needle has reached the top of the scale and you're into the realms of poorer mpg.

The Prius gauge gives the same information except it's a straight line graph on a display, and available in the HUD if required (on Gen 3s).

For best economy, you should try to brake early so that you don't press harder than needed to get the needle to the bottom of the scale. Accelerating up to the middle of the upper half of the "Eco" area pays dividends on the Prius, whether it does on the other Hybrids I'm not sure.

• Like 1

This is the Prius version (with additions that should help get the best economy)

post-84742-0-71211300-1405374358_thumb.j

• Like 2

Excuse me for being stupid :dontgetit: but is there not a European standard Toyota (and other manufacturers) adhere to with regards to calculating these MPG figures? what's the point of having something when its not correct!

Excuse me for being stupid :dontgetit: but is there not a European standard Toyota (and other manufacturers) adhere to with regards to calculating these MPG figures? what's the point of having something when its not correct!

OK, how do you design a 100% accurate fuel economy gauge?

It measures flow I guess, but it's in a vibrating environment with swinging temperature ranges. Also, and I think this might be why they're not 100% accurate; it has to be CHEAP!

You'll probably find the fuel economy meter on the Merc S600 is 99.8% accurate. I'll stick with the £2 sensor and a slight inaccuracy. ;)

It measures flow I guess, but it's in a vibrating environment with swinging temperature ranges. Also, and I think this might be why they're not 100% accurate; it has to be CHEAP!

You'll probably find the fuel economy meter on the Merc S600 is 99.8% accurate. I'll stick with the £2 sensor and a slight inaccuracy. ;)

It is even cheaper than you imagine, there is no fuel flow meter/sensor to measure the volume of fuel usage. I believe it is measured indirectly from other engine sensors and then the fuel consumed is estimated (in other words the computer display is a guess).

Is that seriously a Yaris screenshot....dials et al?

Blimey, are they going for the retro look? I love my digital displays, can't imagine ever going back :king:

• Like 1

Is that seriously a Yaris screenshot....dials et al?

Blimey, are they going for the retro look? I love my digital displays, can't imagine ever going back :king:

Yup! That's the dash on the whole range (non Hybrids get a tachometer instead of the HSI).

That's one reason I didn't get a Yaris or Auris Hybrid. I've had digital displays since 2000 in a Mk1 Yaris and several Prius. I also had a 2011 Yaris T-Spirit for a year between my previous and current Prius, but to my dismay it had dials in the central binnacle instead of the amazing reflected digital displays that looked like they were buried in the engine. I found I hated an 'ordinary' car that left the engine running all the time, hated gears (even with the excellent Multimode system) and hated the instruments, and took a massive loss by selling after just a year for half what I paid for it! :ermm:

My ex partner is happy though - she bought it and got a real bargain.

If they'd put the Hybrid system in a Mk1 or 2 Yaris, complete with digital instruments, sliding rear seats, masses of oddments space and spare wheel, I'd have been happy as larry. As it is, the latest Yaris had no internal storage space save one small glovebox (that wouldn't take my Prius manuals let alone anything else!), no sliding rear seat, and poor rear accommodation.

• Like 1

and another thing, the Gen 4 Prius is rumoured to be going retro as well - I hope this is wrong!

and another thing, the Gen 4 Prius is rumoured to be going retro as well - I hope this is wrong!

Well they'll be killing the golden goose if they do. Not only is it much more expensive now then the competition, but I bought mine on the modern looking interior. I love the little blue gearshift in the gen3. Sure it's weird but it's different; just like the Prius. I also love the 'flying bridge' under the gear shift, though I know some don't like this at all.

If they really are going the retro route, then they should just think about the Jaguar S type! Such a shame.

If they'd put the Hybrid system in a Mk1 or 2 Yaris, complete with digital instruments, sliding rear seats, masses of oddments space and spare wheel, I'd have been happy as larry.

Yes! Digital dash forevaaaar! :D

.... I also love the 'flying bridge' under the gear shift, though I know some don't like this at all.

well, I guess we'll have to agree to differ on that one - I fall firmly into the latter category. In fact, I think it should be illegal on the Prius with no hand brake, as it means if there's a passenger and the driver has a heart attack or something, there's no access to a usable braking system - If there was a conventional handbrake (like the Auris), it wouldn't matter too much.

Just before the Gen 3 was announced, the free magazine we used to get (from Club Toyota maybe?) carried a letter from someone where this had actually happened in a Gen 2 Prius, and the praised the open plan design that allowed the passenger to reach the brake pedal, and vowed to only buy cars with this open plan layout in future.

Also, partly due to being fat, plus having a bad back, I doubt very much that I could climb across from the passenger seat if someone parked too close to the driver's side. It's a pain that makes me pass many parking spaces in favour of one where I can minimise the risk of that happening. Frankly, even some 20 years ago when I was very fit and thin, I doubt it would have been easy to clamber over.

If that limited set of circumstances occur, then your time's up. Don't worry bout it. What if you're in a taxi and the driver snuffs it? You have a hammer proof screen between you and the driver? Or you're on a bus? You could worry about being in a hatch having folding seats which could give in an accident allowing luggage to hit you crushing you, but a saloon wouldn't. It's all 'what if's'.

The top end BMW's and Mercs all have weird handbrakes. The manual one we in the UK are all used to is just because we're used to manual cars. To slow a Prius you just put the car into Neutral or press and hold the Power button to turn the car off.

Seriously fella, you worry too much. Planning ahead incase someone parks too close to your drivers door, or incase a driver snuffs it when you're a passenger?

If you want to worry about something, let Mrs Cabbie take you for a spin in her IQ. That'd put the fear of God into you and bring a sweat on, not to mention white knuckles :)

I'm not a car manufacturer but see above, Mercedes manage it so why cant others others? :)

I'm not a car manufacturer but see above, Mercedes manage it so why cant others others? :)

I'm guessing in the same way a set of scales you buy for your kitchen cost £25 whereas a set of scientific scales for a laboratory cost £1,000. They're both scales right? Or maybe because one is accurate to within 5% and the other to within 0.0005%?

If you want to worry about something, let Mrs Cabbie take you for a spin in her IQ. That'd put the fear of God into you and bring a sweat on, not to mention white knuckles :)

Reminds me of a neighbour I had a few years ago. To her, throttle and brake pedals were on/off switches.

She gave me a lift once:

"Um, you just went right over that roundabout without even slowing down."

Starting to get worried...

"What roundabout?"

Getting that let me out of here feeling...

Amazingly we reached our destination in one piece and didn't even leave a trail of destruction behind us. More by luck than judgement I think.

• Like 1

I'm guessing in the same way a set of scales you buy for your kitchen cost £25 whereas a set of scientific scales for a laboratory cost £1,000. They're both scales right? Or maybe because one is accurate to within 5% and the other to within 0.0005%?

ok, your comparing scales with floats does that not then reflect on other components because one is made by Toyota and one by Mercedes does that then make my speedo miles out as well ? if thats the case I think i will start driving at 10 MPH :)

Eh?

The speedo is 'miles' out because it's mandated by law. The reasons are in another recent thread.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links