Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Power Outlet Issue

Jumpinbeans

Morning all,

I have a power outlet issue on my Toyota Verso (2009) 59 plate car and was hoping I could get some guidance. A few weeks back i noticed that the cigarette outlet between the driver and passenger was not charging my satnav. I tried the outlet in the middle row which backs on the centre control box and that one failed to work either. I then tried the final power outlet in the boot of the car and that was working.

I checked the fuse under the bonnet and the one marked power outlet is fine (no break visible and outlet in rear still works). Interesting enough the light around the cigarette outlet still comes on when you turn the lights on.

It seems to me that it may be a wiring issue. Does anyone have any experience with this particular problem and/or advice on how much it would cost to fix?

cheers

Andrew

The socket may have a built in thermal fuse which would trip if the socket overheated, usually due to too much current over a long period of time. Thermal fuses are generally not resettable. The only way to find out will be to remove the socket assembly entirely and see if you're getting 12v to the wire feeding it.

Generally people plug in a sat nav to the power outlet and it gets furkled over time and usually the socket has to be replaced

Check for power at the socket, if you have power, the socket will usually need replacing

Kingo :thumbsup:

Thanks guys - will get hold of a voltmeter to check and let you know the results.

Multimeter arrived today and the first job was the car - front cigarette power outlet was showing nothing but the back working one showed a solid 12v.

I'll need to take off the centre console cover near the handbrake to do another check which isn't too bad but I was wondering...does the cigarette outlet and the one in the centre near the 2nd row seats run off the same cable because it is strange that those two have no power at all yet the one in the boot does. Also the light around the cigarette outlet comes on when i turn on the car lights but i presume that runs off a slightly different circuit.

Decided to take off the centre console cover - took that off and unplugged the connectors from the cigarette lighter.....tested the two sockets and and showed nothing when I checked with my multimeter on the cable. Cables seem to run through under the gear lever now and I haven't looked at how to get that part of the housing off.

From your guys opinion does this look like a visit to the dealership is required?

Might be worth checking if anything else is not working, interior lights, that sort of thing. Check all the small fuses in the kick panel down by the drivers feet, or the main fuse box under the bonnet, possibly called CIG or ACC power

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem. The cigarette lighter and the nearby power outlet in the passenger area both run off of one fuse, The one in the rear cargo area is on another fuse.

If you look in your Owner's Manual you will see that there are two fuseboxes in the Verso. One easily accessible in the engine compartment (which has the fuse for the cargo area power outlet), and another fuse panel under the dashboard near the steering column (for LHS drive cars) which has the fuse for the cig lighter (called CIG) plus that other outlet. IT'S A REAL PAIN TO GET AT!!! You have to remove a panel under the steering wheel, then lie on your back with your head under the dash! Why oh why did they make it so inaccessible???

At least the owner's manual shows the location of it. Note, the manual says it is in a different location under the dashboard for RH drive cars.

Michael

HI Michael - thanks for the response. The car I have is RHD which (I don't know why) seems to have a completely different electrical system to the LHD. I can understand the different location....maybe its to do with knee air bags....but to be so different I don't know. In the LHD model the fusebox inside the car has 26 distinct fuses but in the RHD there appears to be only 3 you can check and are the 7.5A wiper no 2 (charging system, driver support and system edu); 30A Def (rear window defogger, MIR HTR) and 30A Power (power windows on the driver side).

Assuming the engine fusebox is the same in both LHD and RHD, If the LHD needs 26 fuses inside the car.....anyidea where are these in the RHD? At the moment I have run a usb cable from the rear one in the boot through to the front sets but would prefer to get this sorted out...(without going to a dealership).

Ahhh, I had been looking at the fuse box in the globe box, not the fuse box under the glovebox which was behind another panel. You're right though - a real pain to get to. checked the 15A CIG fuse and its knackered - off to get some tomorrow :-)

http://s13.postimg.org/t2lp0jzc7/2014_07_30_19_33_55.jpg

Glad you found it! How's your neck? Mine hurt for a few hours after the contortions needed to get under there!

Michael

:-) yeah it is an awkward position to get to - ended up sort of lying half in and half out of the car to get a good look under the glovebox. Swapped the fuse using the clips from the engine compartment fuse box and worked first time. Really happy (although need to decide whether to leave the usb cable i had run from the boot of the car through to the front.......may do for the time being. I actually spent more time trying to get the footwell cover on afterwards than replacing the fuse.

Thanks for your help Michael - much appreciated.

• 9 months later...

Hi Juminbeans,

I have been trying to get to the wiring on the back of the power socket next to the hand brake, I think this is the one you removed. Can you give any advise on how it comes out?

I am worried about braking something.

Hi Juminbeans,

I have been trying to get to the wiring on the back of the power socket next to the hand brake, I think this is the one you removed. Can you give any advise on how it comes out?

I am worried about braking something.

The entire assembly including that accessory socket and the cup holders pops right off. Just squeeze it in on the sides and lift.

Many thanks,

I've now managed to connect some wiring ready for my dash cam.

• 7 months later...

Hello!

This is my first post to the forum.

In my 2012 Verso I do not have current to the cigarette lighter. I see that even the light around the lighter do not work.

I looked after the CIG fuse and is placed on an unaccesible place and from the owner manual chapter 4.3 seems that I have the Type B dashboard. This is a LHB car and I stayed on my back and found the fuse box under the steering wheel panels but I have no access to the fuses without removing the panels and in the way there is also ODB plug.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/138490178@N06/ZWSh6J

I was reading above and I saw that in one case the light around the lighter was on but in my case is off, can this indicate that the lighter is broken?

Can somebody help me and describe or share a design on how to remove the upper and lower instrument panel, please?

Cheers

• 2 years later...

Hiya I've got a 54 plate yaris verso t spirit now the cargo area power  supply doesn't work now but the cig lighter one does someone told me there is an in line fuse somewhere or is it from the under bonnet set of fuses 

• 2 years later...

Hiya all, well I've fixed the original issue, there is a 5amp fuse in (no not the main fuse box in side the car) but the fuse box under the bonnet now doesn't that make perfect sence 😂😂😂😂 

Yeah it's typical that you'd look under the bonnet for a fuse for inside the main cabin of the car