Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Egr Nightmare...help!

lucycg

Hi everyone. New to this forum and don't know a blinking thing about cars but doing a few searches led me here.

I've got a 59 model auto. Its always been a bit hesitant pulling out at junctions but I just assumed this was the way the car was. Since winter we have had issues of not being able to reverse out of my slight hill of a driveway. No power at all. Took to local dealer and they couldn't replicate problem. Yesterday the car stalled 4 times at junctions on the way to work. Took to dealer today and the egr has failed and I need a new catalytic converter. As I only had a 3 year warranty my bill is £1400. Yes you read right, £1400.

My question is this. If this is a well known fault as it appears to be from these threads then how do you think I should tackle this? I resent paying this for a fault that so blatantly should have been recalled and this is a serious safety issue. I know some of you have written to HQ etc. if someone could give me an update about the situation so I can go well armed to the dealer tomorrow I would, be so grateful. I've tried reading the threads but get a bit confused with all the car talk! Thanks x

Has the car got a Toyota service history?

Yes. Fully serviced at local dealer, bought brand new

Ha ha thanks fr the welcome! Would have been better to join on a nicer note! :)

Welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

The recall system in the UK is managed by the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (formerly VOSA). For there to be a safety recall, owners need to report any issue to DVSA in sufficient numbers for DVSA to investigate the potential safety problem with the manufacturer. One member of TOC did go through the formal reporting process, and asked for the support of other members who were experiencing the same issue, in reporting their issue to DVSA. However, as far as I recall, there were insufficient numbers of complaints for DVSA to take the matter further - so there has been no formal recall action taken.

I think your best way forward would be to ask your dealer to raise the problem you've experienced with your EGR and catalytic convertor, formally with Toyota GB, and, given that your car has a fulll Toyota service history, ask whether Toyota would consider a goodwill contribution towards the repair costs. If it falls to you to make contact with Toyota GB, contact them by letter and keep the tone of the letter measured, accurate and to the point. By all means mention in your letter that you are concerned for your safety with this issue, but remember that the issue hasn't actually been formerly investigated and proved to be an actual safety issue - despite what may have been said in topics on TOC.

A measured approach, rather than an irate one, will usually achieve a better response.

• Like 1

Remember there is a Toyota Bulletin number on the subject

Mine was very dangerous especially on

Round a bouts

I would contact Bobneal on here and get a copy of his excellent letter in case your first attempt with Toyota fails

David

Can you remember the bulletin number?

Thanks for your help. I'll go and discuss with dealer tomorrow. Sorry for lack of knowledge here, but what's a bulletin number?

Send a PM to Bobneal

He will have it i had a look as i was the first to discover there was one but it takes a while to find on here

Here is the address you should send your complaints to but you really could do with a copy of Bobs letter. It really is in your best interest to PM him

Mr Jon Williams, President and Managing Director of Toyota GB,

Toyota (GB) plc

PO Box 814

Portsmouth

PO6 9AY

United Kingdom

David

Hi Lucy

What part of the UK do you live?

If you live near me i might be able to help you with my local dealer

David

Hi David

I just looked for Bobneal on the membership list and he's not there. Perhaps he left?

I live in hertfordshire. I think I'm a bit far down the line with my local dealer as it's being fixed either today or Monday.

Where's your local dealer?

Lucy

I am still here, name is "bobkneale"

I wrote to Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (formerly VOSA) and filled in all the correct complaint forms, as a formal safety complaint against Toyota, re EGR issue and they fully investigated it and wrote back to me stating that they did not believe it was a safety issue in spite of me saying it was, so no action was taken.

The reason I believe they did not force Toyota to make the EGR a recall is because not enough people complained to them (VOSA) I was the only one, I posted this all on the forum some months ago, and still no one filled out the complaint forms to VOSA so no action was ever taken against Toyota to make this re call item based upon "safety" so my view is that the people who have had the problem and were aware of VOSA and never made a formal complaint only have themselfs to blame, because if not enough people make a formal complaint then nothing happens !

I did make a formal complaint to VOSA and only did it for others as my EGR has already been changed under warranty. so it was of no personal benefit to me.

The letter I wrote to Toyota enabled Toyota to get the job done under the Warranty provided by Toyota for Second hand used approved Toyota's this is different to a new Toyota warranty because it is outsourced to a third party warranty company.

If you are out of "all" warranty cover then you are stuffed in my view.

Positive Regards, Bob

• Like 1

Sorry Bob. Forgot the "e" at the end. Overheated. My 59 plate had a year left on the 3yr warranty but was out of all warranty when the EGR problem started. Words at my local dealer when describing the fault were. "We cant have that, there is a bulletin about it. I will order the parts and call you when they are in. " and it was done.

Lucy, its not far with the potential of saving £1400. My dealer is Lancaster at Gallows corner

See how you get on with yours

David

Thanks so much. bob I would be very grateful if you could pm me a copy of your letter. I intend to discuss with dealer on Tuesday. I'll let you know how I get on. That's for all your help :)

Lucy - please keep us posted as to how you get on with this.

*thanks

Hi Lucy I have PM'd you with a brief extract of the key points in the letter I used to convince Toyota to fix my EGR valve problem under warranty.

Good Luck !

• Like 1

Hi all, well, the process for requesting this got corrected on Toyota was fairly simple. I spoke with customer relations on the phone and they requested that the dealer speak with them directly. The dealer phoned and talked through the issue and then had to complete an online warranty form (even though the car is 2 years out of warranty). This was done yesterday at 5.30pm and the result on the decision was made by 11.30am today, so a vary quick turnaround!

The good news is that Toyota accepted the claim and paid for the lot! I was amazed! Just goes to show that if you don't ask, you don't get! What great customer service.

So all I paid out for was a bottle of bubbly for the lovely lady who helped me at the dealer and saved myself £1400.

I hope this is helpful to anyone else who might go through this process. And I must say thank you to you guys on here for giving me the relevant info and drawing my attention to it being a known problem.

Virtual hugs :)

• Like 3

Well done!! and thanks for keeping us updated.

Great news for you! Wish Western Toyota here in Fife were that helpful!!

• Like 1

I have to say they were really great, I was very impressed with the extra mile. The car runs like a dream now. No hesitation pulling away from junctions and it ticks over nice and smoothly! Its nippier than when I first got it. No more taking a run up to overtake!

• Like 1

Quote No more taking a run up to overtake! unquote

They changed the engine to 1.3 ? LOL

Ok so I may be a little optimistic! Perhaps the run up will at least be shorter! Ha ha

• Like 1