Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Aygo _ Chris Evans

DazIQ

I just can't bring myself to pay 13k for an Aygo. That's an expression, five door, metallic paint with interest. You can buy some nearly new proper cars for that money!!!!!!! I don't believe I will be the only person in the show room thinking that. My original Aygo Black was £9,400 interest free just three years ago, unfortunately my wages haven't kept pace........

i think if we listened to every review on cars then we would proberbly be riding bikes instead, its all down to personal preferrance and i think its a great little car, the new aygo is as popular as the old 1s, the dealers cant get them quick enough for customers, we ordered our x-cite on the 3rd july and took delivery of it on the 7th august, was told if we wanted the standard models or different colour then they would be 3 weeks waiting list so i think they will be a big hit

Agreed looks to be a big jump in pricing on the above basic models, they're pricing themselves into the next segment of cars on the market, I wonder whether they're get the level of buyers when there's more choice available in that price range. Comparing similar specs on the C1 / 108 and they're £1500 cheaper, for what I'd be interested in I could get for £10k in a C1 / 108. £1500 extra for aygo's styling looks steeps for me and C1 / 108 styling looks suitable for what I like.

• Like 1

With Toyota discontinuing the IQ from the UK this year, and ceasing production of the furrent one at the end of 2014, we've known for a while that in Europe the New Aygo range was being broadened to fill the gap left by the IQ - which also means better equipped high end models (ie including climate control) and a wider range of prices.

I have checked the August 2014 price lists for Toyota, Citroen and Peugeot today - the list price for the top end Aygo is £12,395, the top end C1 £11,935, and the top end 108 £12,245.

Yes the C1 and 108 are available with PSA's 1.2 3 cylinder engine, whereas the Aygo retains the reworked Toyota 1.0 engine until next year - when Toyota's new Atkinson cycle 1.0 litre engine will be used offering potentially up to 30% better economy. There is also a 1.3 version of this engine but it is unknown which models this will be used in. Not sure whether Toyota will allow these units to be fitted into the C1/108.

I don't see many IQ's on the road so not sure this is a good strategy. I just can't afford to lose 8k in three and half years on a car where as if I sell the mk 1 Aygo now I would lose just 5.5k. Time will tell but I can see them offering bigger discounts once the initial rush dies down. I'm afraid I'm going for something bigger secondhand as I can't justify paying over 10k for any city car. That's my current limit and I doubt it will change anytime soon. The other factor is that I don't like buying cars until the teething troubles have been sorted. Did love my Aygo and not had any problems with it. Best bit has always been the cheap running costs. Worse bit for me is the comfort as the seats and ride are harsh. No doubt three years down the road I may get another.

Agreed looks to be a big jump in pricing on the above basic models, they're pricing themselves into the next segment of cars on the market, I wonder whether they're get the level of buyers when there's more choice available in that price range. Comparing similar specs on the C1 / 108 and they're £1500 cheaper, for what I'd be interested in I could get for £10k in a C1 / 108. £1500 extra for aygo's styling looks steeps for me and C1 / 108 styling looks suitable for what I like.

It's an improved car so of course there is going to be a price increase. & Toyota are deliberately trying to put water between the Aygo & it's siblings in terms of design etc.. PSA sales of the 1st generation C1/108 were noticeably greater than those of the Aygo but it didn't stop Toyota still shifting hundreds of thousands. & Toyota's profit margins are considerably better than PSA's (yes, it's a business & it needs to make profits to survive, continue to invest in new models & tech. etc.) - PSA has just been rescued bya ain investment from China..

It's the same with VW (all their profits are coming from Audi & Porsche). If you were Toyota would you rather sell 80,000 at a profit or 500,000 at break even?

Not as easy as that. You have your fixed costs so you need to judge how many you are gonna sell so that you can spread the fixed costs. If they don't meet the sales target then they don't make a profit. Think they may struggle if they can't or don't undercut the Up. I personally don't like the look if the Up but it seems to do a lot better on reviews. Be interesting to see how well they sell. Not seen a single one yet and I drive from London the Glasgow!!!!!

I don't see many IQ's on the road so not sure this is a good strategy.

It is a good strategy if one wishes to retain some of the IQ customer base, which they do.

Yes, but doing that they lost an Aygo customer as in me. To be honest colchester Toyota were never very good so I'm not sad leaving them and no doubt in the future I get another one. I shall stick around here though to see how people get on with their new Aygo's. Still think it's the best looking city car on the market.

I just can't bring myself to pay 13k for an Aygo ....... unfortunately my wages haven't kept pace........

The list price of the New Aygo starts at £8595, which is slightly less than the list price of the outgoing Aygo, which starts at £8700, and Toyota have a reduced this to £7995 for the launch.

At the end of the day, Toyota isn't responsible for your wages not keeping pace with inflation and affecting what replacement car you can afford.

The Aygo, the same as all cars, is priced to attract customers, be competitive with rival cars in the respective segment, and make a profit for the manufacturer (in this case the Joint Venture between Toyota and PSA).

Yes, but wage rises in the UK haven't kept pace so I don't think I am an isolated case. Just I personally think they have got the pricing wrong but only time will tell.

As I've already stated Toyota have priced the New Aygo from a similar starting point as the outgoing Aygo. Comparing the range of list prices, the old Aygo ranged from £8,700 to £11,620 and the New Aygo from £8,595 to 12,395.

The fact that you cannot get a similar spec New Aygo for a similar price you paid three years ago, is just one of the harsh realities of life.

Inflation is just one factor that can increase prices, and if you apply the Consumer Price Index rates of inflation for the last three years to the price you paid for your current Aygo, that equates to approx £10,100 to £10,200 today.

Even if you bought a base New Aygo today, compared to a base version of the outgoing Aygo, you're getting a stronger, better built, better equipped and safer car.

Think the time has come to end this part of the discussion on economics, and return to the actual topic of the New Aygo

10,100 seems a long way from 13k. I had 6k deposit, 4 k of that being a 60 plate Aygo Black, then it was £191 a month over three years. I told the dealer I can only manage £160 a month, any more than that and I'm going secondhand. He couldn't manage that so now buying a Honda Civic. Time will tell if I made the right choice. How much have people paid for theirs if they don't mind me asking?