Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tips For Buying...

keeperofthegate

Hello all... I'm a newbie, another forum friend and member of this site recommended the site to me and it is great...!

I'm thinking of buying a used Yaris, any tips on what to look for? Also is the MMT semi-auto any good? Anything else I should look out for when looking?

Thanks for any help you can give..!

Hello and welcome :thumbsup:

not too much to worry about its a quality car.

The only niggle i have at 25k miles from new is a few rattles.

Im sure other members will point out a few things to look for too.

Welcome to the club

Niz

Just make sure its well looked after! If its nice and clean inside, u know its been looked after pretty well!

Cheers :thumbsup:

OK - firstly do your best to get one that's made in Japan there superior to the french built ones. To check look in the top corner of the drivers side of the windscreen to see where it's made.

As a guide, all the early Yaris' were made in Japan, from about 2001 onwards, most 1.0's were made in France but all others were made in Japan, after the facelift last year all except the T-sport are French.

The MMT box i'm not sure about, it seems similar to the Corsa's easytronic box which is OK but not ideal.

Personally, I would get a nice pre-facelift 1.3 Auto, preferably CDX that way your getting a high quality vehicle, with high-spec and a proper automatic gearbox - Toyota auto boxes are about the best in the world so I wouldn't hesitate getting one over the manual.

If your not fussed about performance. And you do a lot of miles stuck in trafic, then by all means go for the auto. But if you actually enjoy driving, get manual :)

Now for some real advise...

Pick of the bunch is the 1.5 VVTi T-Sport. Its nippy, and has all the goodies as standard pretty much. However the pre-facelift models did not come in 5dr so if your after practicallity its not as good as the rest.

The 1.3 versions aren't exactly slow either, prolly one of the best 1.3 engines around (way better than a KA, but not quite so good as the 1.3 Mazda RX-8 :rolleyes: ). Not sure on what you get, but I think the CDX has most of the goodies, and the SR has more styling accessories (T-Sports little bro I call it). The facelift T-Spirit is a very nice car and would be my second choice after the T-Sport.

The 1.0l. Again, not a bad engine at all. But you don't want this car if you plan to do a lot of motorway miles. This car is best for around town and for the youngens who can't afford the insurance :P

The 1.4 D4D (desiel). I don't really know jack about this version, but I hear great things from people who own, or have driven it. Heard it has loads of torque and it can't be that bad, cus apparently BMW nicked it for their Mini. Don't be surprised if people think you own a van though (wait... thats all desiel cars...).

Things to look out for:

- Rusting/corroding alloy wheels

- Corroding disc brakes

- All the other usualls (rust, scratches, damage repair, electronics)

Hope this helps.

As a guide, all the early Yaris' were made in Japan, from about 2001 onwards, most 1.0's were made in France but all others were made in Japan, after the facelift last year all except the T-sport are French.

I’m afraid you have that the wrong way round!

The ‘New’ facelift Yaris is made in France.

The T-Sport is made in Japan.

:thumbsup:

hi mate

good choice in choosin yaris :thumbsup:

i have a 2000 (w) Yaris 1.3 SR. Quality little car, its fairly nippy, and really nice to drive.

As pointed out, it comes with 15" alloys, TTE exhaust , Springs and Spoiler as standard.

I have the front fogs on mine. Dont think they where standard, but it makes the front end look much better,

Would recommend the SR. If you want something that looks a little different.

Have a look at my (crap) page of pictures. The yaris is obviously the one at the bottom!

http://www.kierangray.co.uk

:hokus-pokus:

HAve fun hunting!

I have test driven an MMT and I was not too impressed. In 'auto' mode there was a definate delay between gear changes, the same thing applied to the manual change. I am used to driving a fully automatic car so maybe my critisism is slightly unfair. The idea is brilliant though. I finished up buying a new Yaris T-Spirit automatic (black) to replace my aging Corolla automatic. Quite imressed with the Yaris.

Brian

I'd go for a manual gearbox over auto or MMT. Makes it a little faster acceleration wise. Wouldn't worry too much about French built. Mine's not exactly falling apart!

I've got a 1.0L and the fuel consumption is amazing. If I'm honest though, I'd go for 1.3 or the 1.5 T-Sport if fuel consumption (and insurance) aren't issues for you.

You might also want to consider what goodies you need on the standard car you buy. No point spending more at the beginning if you intend doing a lot of mods to the car anyway.

Best bits of advice I can think of? Full service history and compare as many as you can. Don't rush into a deal. You know it makes sense!

I'd go for a manual gearbox over auto or MMT. Makes it a little faster acceleration wise. Wouldn't worry too much about French built. Mine's not exactly falling apart!

I've got a 1.0L and the fuel consumption is amazing. If I'm honest though, I'd go for 1.3 or the 1.5 T-Sport if fuel consumption (and insurance) aren't issues for you.

You might also want to consider what goodies you need on the standard car you buy. No point spending more at the beginning if you intend doing a lot of mods to the car anyway.

Best bits of advice I can think of? Full service history and compare as many as you can. Don't rush into a deal. You know it makes sense!

Insurance wise, T-sports Still only group 7 :thumbsup:

Go on you know you want to :P

Niz

Hiya KOTG! Welcome! Glad you took my advice to join - told you they are a steller lot here! :D

They have helped me shed loads with advice for my car - I can't wait until you get yours aswell! :D

i have the 1.3 is it is great and great fun to drive....

Its fast and has good aceleration, with low insurance

Cheers :thumbsup:

Matt

i agree, its nippy and a good middle of road yaris

the SR has the TTE exhaust which sounds great when flooring it

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links