Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav4 D4D Limp Mode

archie104

how weird! drove to work this am and noticed the rav seemed spritely.

no problem with sticking vanes today,wthell!!??

it has done this before for a few days then goes back to hesitating above 2200 rpm

was it the weather cooling down? i have no idea. but very odd.

Sich1 - it’s done the same to me, mine doesn’t like damp weather

AR6600 pro turbo cleaner has arrived today!

It says to put one bottle to 15 to 25 litres… i make that between 1/4 to 1/2 a tank of diesel if the tank takes approx 10 gal

anyone got a more accurate calculation/idea?

10 gallons is about 45 litres so half a tank should be fine. You don't have to measure this stiff with a pipette :)

nigel, your tank is 57 litres, the same as mine.

and about a 1/3 of a tank will do the job well.

think i may need a splash and dash to do the 150 miles on monday,it will be close!

Cutting a long story short.... I had a similar limp mode problem on my X Type Jaguar 2.0D. Had the codes read, P132B = turbo actuator issue. Eventually called Midland Turbos to find cost and process to get turbo and actuator reconditioned £289 for turbo and actuator. Runs like a dream now.

Nobody has mentioned get the codes read - presumably you can do this on a Rav4. Armed with the code/s, you are in a better position to know the area of the fault.

For those that think their turbos are carboned up, such that the vanes stick and cause the limp mode, there is little chance that additives will have any effect, unless you can pump something like Mr. Muscle Oven Cleaner into the turbo and let it sit for a while. Reconditioning seemed the sensible option to me, once I had established what was the issue.

(My wife has a RAV4, which is why I read this forum - couldn't help noticing this thread with some interest)

tks for the input richard, was hoping it would not come to that expense but it will be that option if this does not work.

was that the total cost of the recon or was there extra cost like labour etc to get the turbo off the car?

what was your experience of midland turbos?

as for the codes, most of the owners of the older ravs carry a code reader in the glove box!!

nigel, maybe we can get a group rate....lol

I paid my garage £90 labour to get the turbo off and on, and change the oil, So I guess about £65 for the turbo. They contacted Midland Turbos to arrange collection. It was returned 4 working days later, and my garage said it looked good with new everything that could be seen.

Its worked great since fitting in May, and I'm no longer frightened to rev hard if needed.

Given the aggro of the previous year of regular limp modes, it was worth every penny.

Midland Turbos did exactly what they said they would do, and the result speaks for itself so far.

There are other turbo refurbishers, so you might find cheaper?

just thought i would post this paragraph from OILEM`S web site,speaks for itself really !!!!

If you are unfortunate enough to have a turbo diagnosed with excessive carbon build-up then there are a number of options available to you. Firstly, politely decline any suggestion that the turbo must be replaced unless the unit is proven to be faulty, damaged or excessively worn. Excessive carbon does not fall into any of these categories.

It is equally important to address the cause as well as any remedial work or treatments. It’s pointless tackling the carbon on the turbo directly without ensuring the fuel system is running efficiently, because the chances are high that the turbo will just accumulate more carbon immediately after cleaning if the fuel system isn’t clean and operating properly. I hear time and time again of garages replacing turbos only for the same problem to reoccur shortly after with the newly replaced unit. This may be profitable for the garage but not very cost effective or convenient for the customer.

- See more at: http://www.oilem.com/turbo-cleaning-and-turbo-cleaners/#sthash.oH1suqjJ.dpuf

• Like 1

Hi Archie,

I had my limp mode problem for over a year, and tried all sorts of stuff, including something from Power Enhancer. I can't remember what it was, but it was about £25, and had no effect whatsoever.

It is my belief that, once your turbo is carboned up, it must take more than some small amount of fluid from the fuel mixing with the exhaust gasses to dissolve it, although it seems to have worked in your case. Are you sure it was the turbo? Did you get your code read? What was it?

I agree that, once refurbished, you need to get the fuel burn right, or it will happen again, (it looks like it took about 90,000 miles for mine to occur, which seems like a common'ish mileage for X Type Jag turbos, (and clutches and DMFs aswell :( ).

Update on running with AR6600 turbo cleaner, half way through the fuel with the additive and so far has made little to no difference, unless a miracle happens between now and Friday, it is booked in to have the turbo looked at to see if there is play

in it. If there is then a refurb unit is in the pipeline!.

EGR has been blanked off (no difference) taken back off

Fuel Additive and Fuel Filter (no difference)

Turbo Cleaner (no difference so far!)

i used forte turbo cleaner on mine when doing mainly motorway miles it seems to have worked for how long yet to see

tks for the input richard, was hoping it would not come to that expense but it will be that option if this does not work.

was that the total cost of the recon or was there extra cost like labour etc to get the turbo off the car?

what was your experience of midland turbos?

as for the codes, most of the owners of the older ravs carry a code reader in the glove box!!

nigel, maybe we can get a group rate....lol

have you seen this post by DN04:

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/136776-d4d-42-engine-fault-code-p1251/?p=1266571

I am going to print it off and get the mechanic to follow suit unless he can categorically say the turbo is kaput!

not good news then nigel,thats not good.

better news on mine though luckily, goes like a rocket now,added it to 25 litres of fuel and drove

50 miles back roads then went for a 40 mile blast down the a14 to ipswich. its like a different car so far.

pulls as hard with a car full of family as it did with just me in it before!! with no hesitations or eml's.

how long this will last i dont know, but we live in hope...early results look promising...updates to follow.

I paid my garage £90 labour to get the turbo off and on, and change the oil, So I guess about £65 for the turbo. They contacted Midland Turbos to arrange collection. It was returned 4 working days later, and my garage said it looked good with new everything that could be seen.

Its worked great since fitting in May, and I'm no longer frightened to rev hard if needed.

Given the aggro of the previous year of regular limp modes, it was worth every penny.

Midland Turbos did exactly what they said they would do, and the result speaks for itself so far.

There are other turbo refurbishers, so you might find cheaper?

Rang Midland Turbos… they don’t have any exchange units in stock, so they would have to refurbish mine and it would be 4 day turnaround!!!!!!!… Looking elsewhere.

BNT Turbos don’t deal with joe bloggs

Turbo Dynamics want approx £1050

Car booked in at garage on Friday, hope he can clear it.

Found a place that offers exchange units at £390 + vat

Brand new (original Garrett Turbo) ones off the shelf £700 + vat (£840) inc gaskets not a Chineeeeese one.

I’ll let you know where from on Friday in case I have to buy it (selfish), as they only have one on the shelf at the moment, but he can get more at the same price!

Think i like the idea of a spanking new one over a refurbished one, but i’am just praying I don’t need one at all.

what was the price of a refurb one from midland nigel?

depends on price and how long you plan to keep the car if refurb or new is the way to.

depends on price and how long you plan to keep the car if refurb or new is the way to.

I have tel. that many… but i jotted down a few prices and I think (don’t quote me) the price from Midland Turbos was £398 + vat and turnaround would be 3 - 4 days, so thats £477 for a refurb with 1 or 2 years guarantee.

Or £840 inc vat for a brand new one.

I am hoping to keep my car as it owes me nothing any more, so going to see how it goes with repairing/maintaining it in the future.

At least I don’t have to pay monthly for a newer car which could still get problems, no more massive depreciation, no having to take it to mrT to keep a warranty.

I must admit I was tempted by a lovely looking Black 55 plate XTrail Aventura but I missed out on it, hey ho!

UPDATE! I’ve had the turbo looked at and it seems fine.

lots of other bits and bobs cleaned and checked

had three codes cleared and then gave it a quick spin to generate another code (but just the one)

this time we got “P0627 Fuel Pump ‘A’ control circuit circuit open” which translates to it being the SCV Valves

In a way I’am relieved.

I’ll give you an update once the new ones are fitted.

thats good news in a way, much cheaper to fix :clap:

mine is still fine, with no signs of the hesitation.....how long will it last?

yeah very good news nigel, mine`s still fine as well,in fact seems to get better every time i go out, but that`s probably just me being optimistic.i think this stuff works ok as long as there is no other issues apart from carbon build up.

good luck with the repair

Thought I’d give anyone out there needing a “GENUINE BAND NEW GARRETT TURBO” (not Chinese copy) for their RAV4, the best price I could find was from Turbo Technics (Northampton) £740 + vat and includes gaskets.

Hope this helps anyone having to go down this route, I think this is preferable to risking a refurbished one any day!

Anyone got a cheap source for the vacuum regulation valve? Part no. 25819-27040

Have you got the SCVs fitted so that you are up and running?

I’am picking them up tomorrow (Wed 3rd) from Diesel Jones (P F Jones, Manchester)

Garage around the corner from work are fitting them, I can’t wait to give it some “beans” up the hills to try it out!

It has been really embarrassing at times… nearly got overtaken by a cyclist :no: , I jest, but not far off the truth.

Yahooooooh :clap: that has done the trick! It was the SCVs all along.

Now where is that garage that just wanted to throw a new turbo at it? Bar stewards.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links