Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav4 D4D Limp Mode

archie104

Glad to here the good news Nigel,it`s great when the car starts performing as it should after weeks of crap !!!!!

Spoke too soon! all was well for a few days, but on Sat I got the limp mode, same scenario, up hill!

Stopped and re-started, all was ok again.

I can hear something “kind of struggling” sounds close to the bulk head behind the stereo, just before it gives up.

I checked out the VSV readings as per Ancormans’ post and all was ok

So, any suggestions?

I get confused with the YouTube posts because they refer to the VSV as it being that “flying saucer” looking thing near the turbo!

and yet the post by Ancorman on the VSV is something completely different? I think I know which one to believe.

So what is the “flying saucer” thingy, and can I get it cleaned out or does it need replacing?

The EGR has been cleaned and the fuel filter replaced.

nooooo, thought you had it fixed.

the flying saucer thing is the vaccum control for the turbo. it moves the arm thats connected to the

actuator of the variable vanes in the turbo.(as far as i know!).

screenshot55_zps9ef08b49.jpg

the one in red i think is the vsv.

if iam wrong someone please tell me, so i dont make a fool of myself again.....lol

EML came on… got it read… and 1251 popped up, which indicates VSV, so I have had it checked and

the readings from it were ok

Can these things give intermittent faults? seem ok on testing but play-up now and again

Any suggestions?

My VSV gives this, it is very intermittent. We swapped it onto my Dad's RAV4 and it took 6 weeks to play up. Put it back on me and I had 2 days of spluttering and farting.

i would give it a few weeks nige and see if it happens again.

it could be a intermittant fault that may occur once every 6 months.

if it is, depends if you can live with it or not.

This is an issue that comes to any owner of an older car . My car is probably worth today £2500 as a trade in , maybe £3000 in a private sale.

If it needs a £1000 repair tomorrow, what do I do? If I don't repair it , it is going to be worth £1000 (perhaps) . If I do repair it, it is still only going to be worth £2500/£3000.

If I don't repair it and buy a newer car from a dealer for ,say. £12000, the second it leaves the forecourt, I've lost a least £1000 - the cost of repair.

For me it is reliability that counts and I don't want to be worried that doing 70 in the outside lane, I suddenly go into limp mode - and ditto in the middle of nowhere.

I've got £600 for tyres coming up in February and a year on the cam belt will need changing . The DMF and Clutch have already been changed so the next big one at any time could be the exhaust-but I don't expect the likes water pump, alternator , radiator and various suspension items to last forever.

Tricky one.

This is an issue that comes to any owner of an older car . My car is probably worth today £2500 as a trade in , maybe £3000 in a private sale.

If it needs a £1000 repair tomorrow, what do I do? If I don't repair it , it is going to be worth £1000 (perhaps) . If I do repair it, it is still only going to be worth £2500/£3000.

If I don't repair it and buy a newer car from a dealer for ,say. £12000, the second it leaves the forecourt, I've lost a least £1000 - the cost of repair.

For me it is reliability that counts and I don't want to be worried that doing 70 in the outside lane, I suddenly go into limp mode - and ditto in the middle of nowhere.

I've got £600 for tyres coming up in February and a year on the cam belt will need changing . The DMF and Clutch have already been changed so the next big one at any time could be the exhaust-but I don't expect the likes water pump, alternator , radiator and various suspension items to last forever.

Tricky one.

I here you redlew,

I’am in same position as you, same model (55 reg), cambelt was done in march, water pump, dmf and clutch was done at about 60k, I think. The car has had a knocking noise recently and it has been diagnosed as a leaking shock absorber (drivers side), so

I’am looking at doing the shockers x2, drop links x2, top mounts x2 and D bushes x2, plus if it keeps playing up probably replacing the VSV. I’ll have to get them done soon before the geometry goes t1ts up and knackers my lovely Michelins. Oh and then I’ll have to get it all re-aligned.