Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Augmented Reality Hud

The Prius gen3 (2009-) has had this or something very similar since launch. The later versions don't display SatNav instuctions but the older ones did. Work that out :)

I find the HUD the best thing ever. Even just leaving it on the speed and hybrid indicator display it's great not having to remove ones eyes from the road. I rely on it so much I actually almost forget to check my speed when using a car without a HUD.

It can be switched off if required and the brightness can be adjusted too. All vehicles should have one.

• Like 1

Cannot stand HUD myself, just looks like another gadget to me (and I like gadgets usually) never saw the point of HUD and is a total distraction to me, each to their own eh? :mellow:

As you probably know all that i incorporated one in the top of the TNS350 housing and works fine. What i don't like are all these gadgets that are "add-on's" where they all have to fit into the cigarette lighter/ aux sockets and trail numerous cables all over the dash. If its a temporary thing maybe satnav, then you store it away, then thats fine but things like scangauge where they also plug in the OBD2 socket , i find so messy

David

• Like 1

The Prius gen3 (2009-) has had this or something very similar since launch. The later versions don't display SatNav instuctions but the older ones did. Work that out :)

I find the HUD the best thing ever. Even just leaving it on the speed and hybrid indicator display it's great not having to remove ones eyes from the road. I rely on it so much I actually almost forget to check my speed when using a car without a HUD.

It can be switched off if required and the brightness can be adjusted too. All vehicles should have one.

Pleased to hear that. I love this sort of technology. When I worked in Jeddah I was able to have a tour of the (then) new C-130J and sat in the cockpit and look through the HUD in that when it was on. Fascinating tech, and that these technologies are being passed down to the venerable motor car is for me, exciting. Okay, so some people, such as Parts King, don't like it, and I can appreciate that. I don't like the bluetooth tech that allows people to use their phones in the car as it's distracting, at least that is what I feel. I know there are thousands of others out there who love the tech and couldn't do without it, just like my 2 lads who drive can't do without being in touch. Personally, I like being away from the phone where others can speak to you at any time. Anyway, each to their own.

As you probably know all that i incorporated one in the top of the TNS350 housing and works fine. What i don't like are all these gadgets that are "add-on's" where they all have to fit into the cigarette lighter/ aux sockets and trail numerous cables all over the dash. If its a temporary thing maybe satnav, then you store it away, then thats fine but things like scangauge where they also plug in the OBD2 socket , i find so messy

David

I can see the point you are making here, and you get around those problems with your electronic genius experience, and some crafty stashing of cables. I want to install one of those Crash-Cams at some point and seeing you pulling the interior of our car apart has given me confidence that I could stash cables behind the trim, if they are long enough. One day in the future perhaps.

David

I can see the point you are making here, and you get around those problems with your electronic genius experience, and some crafty stashing of cables. I want to install one of those Crash-Cams at some point and seeing you pulling the interior of our car apart has given me confidence that I could stash cables behind the trim, if they are long enough. One day in the future perhaps.

Simples

David

Still, there's a big difference between "add on" and "designed with the add on in mind". Far too many "car improvements" are of the "tacked on, powered from the socket" variety. It's for that reason that we rejected the "bespoke" system in favor of the traditional satellite navigation system.

I understand that some like this sort of thing. To each his (or her) own...

David

Fully agree !

I still think things stuck/added to the dash are hideous with trailing leads. The other thing is quite a lot of items require connection to the OBD2 socket so now your in the realms of splitters dragging on the floor and putting extra load on the thin pin 16 of the OBD2 socket dragging it down along with tbe ECU

David

Sounds like a gigantic distraction to me?

How can reading texts and social media messages while driving be legal. Okay it's on the screen in front of you but you still need to look at it and focus on the writing rather than the road ahead?

Craig.

Sounds like a gigantic distraction to me?

How can reading texts and social media messages while driving be legal. Okay it's on the screen on front of you but you still need to look at it and focus on the writing rather than the road ahead?

Craig.

Sounds right to me, but it sure would be good to know my speed without having to take my eyes off the road.

To me the NAVDY needs to dump the 'Hand Gesture' (why encourage you to take hands off wheel?) and the Social Media bit, alright it is voice activated, but you will still read it in front of you to make sure it has understood you correctly. It should be navigation overlay and voice command only.