Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis D4D 1Cd-Ftv Power Loss Solved?

Ave03

hello

could be possible that the loss of power could be caused by a defective Battery???

my avensis had some power loss in its life, the lasts some months ago till today

and in this time the engine-starter worked without problem as well after 7 days in the box (Battery in good condition i supposed)

so..

this morning i found the car Battery died (very low charge status), thinking about some internal light forgotten i started the car by car-by-car battery cables

after that the car power goes really in the worst state i have ever seen (3rd gear and problems to reach 3000rpm on flat lane..)

on the first engine stop i noticed that the battery fault was always there (this could happen: the battery was 6 years old) so i decided to replace the battery with a new one:

after that the engine works perfect: i cannot remember it in so good condition!

could be that a bagttery replacement helps the engine power?????????

in the past for the same probs i cleaned the egr valve, swapped some sensors from a "fully powered" avensis, cleaned the fuel thank without success

what's do you think about it, just an error resetted for the battery disconnection (but in the past times i resetting the errors with an elm cable withouth success) , or could be that a defective battery can cause that prob????????????????????????????????

regards

Firstly... if it's working .... enjoy it! (now's the time to stop getting too worried about it!)

do you think it is the new Battery, or a power cycle on the ECU? As I understand it, it 'learns' driving style when you power cycle it... perhaps it just had it totally messed up and you're effectively reset it?

I'm trying this think of what a low supply rail would cause... perhaps fuel pump issues .. however, I'd expect you'd have seen bigger issues (lights, window heater, cooling fan etc...) long before key components started t under-perform.

hello, thanks for the reply

with the previous Battery i noticed just a problem with the engine starter: with very hot air temperature and short engine off it had some problem starting the engine

BUT no probs with regular engine start (with engine and air temp not HOT) and np with windows/light/air conditioning and anything else

i don't know if the hot starter issue is solved as well (i need very hot air temp and a long drive trip) but i noticed as well some other:

the 2 front lamps are died after the Battery replace (ok could be a random issue), and the major one: in the last times i noticed that the engine every about 1min (about i'm unsure if was 1 or 5.. it happened very frequently) had a minimal power loss (very little), now that one is desappeared

and obv, the nice one: the engine runs MANY TIMES better then before, i'm sure about it (approx twice power !)

i hope still so :)

i know that sound very unusual, but i report what i had

thinking about it..

one addition

when i bought the car (new), after approx one year, i had a very bad issue with the front projectors, and the toyota official point changed both the front projectors, all the front lamps, all the front lights wirings and added some resistors for reduce the main voltage (or so reported to me the mech, talking about an official repair advice)

could be as well that something could be related to my case?

• 3 weeks later...

nononononono :(

just to say that the power loss unfortunately returned on my car :( was not the Battery (it sound so strange to me as well, but the power for some day..)

at this moment i have not the ecu light (and i have not try to connect an elm error code reader)

so after many try is not: egr (cleaned), airflow sensor (swapped), fuel filter (new one), fuel tank (opened and cleaned), air filter (new one)

ot: is there any trick for understand if could be the (a bit expensive) scv valve?

thanks

when does power loss occur,

when engine is at running temp (warm) or from cold?

any smoke? colour?

is it at certain revs?

start with cheapest and check/replace;

mileage on car?

check vac pipes for splits (small rubber ones); I will of attached pictures to help.

check intake hose from air filter to turbo;

check the two inter cooler hoses; you will have to get them from below gearbox side.

maybe the EGR is stuck closed- can anyone comment if there is a way to test its operation whilst in situ as electric;

try cleaning throttle body;

try clean MAF SENSOR with electrical contact cleaner or maf spray

MAP SENSOR(BOOST SENSOR/ TURBO VACUUM SENSOR).

only then I would start looking;

scv valves,injectors,fuel pump, turbo,

post-125194-0-66931800-1408660182_thumb.

post-125194-0-15676800-1408660220_thumb.

any smoke? colour?

is it at certain revs?

mileage on car?

many thanks, for the reply

looks to be not related to the engine temperature

no visible smoke (but i'm not sure, i'll verify the next time)

certain revs: i have (very) few power at any range, sometimes the power is very low, sometimes is a few better

and the engine sounds sometimes like working without the needed fuel (without move the foot from the gas lever the power goes down as a braking or a little fuel leakage for, example 1 or 2 secs)

approx 120kmiles now (but i have power problems from approx 60k)

for all yours suggestions

in the week-end i know what to do...

any smoke? colour?

is it at certain revs?

mileage on car?

many thanks, for the reply

looks to be not related to the engine temperature

no visible smoke (but i'm not sure, i'll verify the next time)

certain revs: i have (very) few power at any range, sometimes the power is very low, sometimes is a few better

and the engine sounds sometimes like working without the needed fuel (without move the foot from the gas lever the power goes down as a braking or a little fuel leakage for, example 1 or 2 secs)

approx 120kmiles now (but i have power problems from approx 60k)

for all yours suggestions

in the week-end i know what to do...

The reason I asked about engine temp is because when my egr was giving problems, it was only when engine got to running temp it went into limp mode with black smoke.

The reason I asked about rev range is SCV valves- I have seen on here that the car wont go over over 3000 revs/cutting out/hesitation.

Can i just point out that suction control valves are not directly related to rev. This problem can occur in lower revs as well but reading AVE03 problems, its looking more and more like scv valves.

Ave03, in another post I pointed out to a link in rav4 forum which raistlin posted in avensis forum, pm him if you want to or search rav4 forum you ll find it. It is a very nice guide to changing scv on your car. It ll save you a fortune.

One more thing to check is turbo pipes. Check them all, as these can come off or split. This ll contribute to the symptoms you are having.

Regards,

Waqar

It could well be the scv valves- but they are not cheap £200+.I would look at the cheapest options first, as there is no error codes.

here is a good link to them;

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/87986-42-d4d-scv-valve-replacement/

blue prints technical bulletin;

http://www.blueprint-adl.com/newweb/technotes/INF118%2001%20Toyota%20Suction%20Valves.pdf

try a breaker. these dont got wrong that often and as a result dont have a huge market as little demand for it. try it you never know.

regards,

waqar

How is the Battery now?

My brother's old Corolla had a too-small Battery in it and the diesel starter motor just murdered it in a few months so we replaced it with a proper Toyota one (Which was gigantic! Looked like it came out of a van :lol:).

Later he found the starter motor had a known fault which made the car almost impossible to start when the engine was warm (Originally we thought it was the battery), ad after changing it the car started almost instantly and was fine. You have the same engine so it may be you have this starter motor fault too.

The only other thing I can think of is if it's the alternator.

I do wonder if there is something making the voltage sag and causing some of these problems.

Can i just point out that suction control valves are not directly related to rev. This problem can occur in lower revs as well but reading AVE03 problems, its looking more and more like scv valves.

Ave03, in another post I pointed out to a link in rav4 forum which raistlin posted in avensis forum, pm him if you want to or search rav4 forum you ll find it. It is a very nice guide to changing scv on your car. It ll save you a fortune.

One more thing to check is turbo pipes. Check them all, as these can come off or split. This ll contribute to the symptoms you are having.

Regards,

Waqar

thanks

It could well be the scv valves- but they are not cheap £200+.I would look at the cheapest options first, as there is no error codes.

here is a good link to them;

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/87986-42-d4d-scv-valve-replacement/

blue prints technical bulletin;

http://www.blueprint-adl.com/newweb/technotes/INF118%2001%20Toyota%20Suction%20Valves.pdf

thanks

try a breaker. these dont got wrong that often and as a result dont have a huge market as little demand for it. try it you never know.

regards,

waqar

sorry, i have not understand yours reply (sorry for my bad english knowledge)

How is the battery now? My brother's old Corolla had a too-small battery in it and the diesel starter motor just murdered it in a few months so we replaced it with a proper Toyota one (Which was gigantic! Looked like it came out of a van :lol:). Later he found the starter motor had a known fault which made the car almost impossible to start when the engine was warm (Originally we thought it was the battery), ad after changing it the car started almost instantly and was fine. You have the same engine so it may be you have this starter motor fault too. The only other thing I can think of is if it's the alternator. I do wonder if there is something making the voltage sag and causing some of these problems.

Before change the Battery i had that kind of prob starting the engine with warm motor (but only with ambient very high temperatures)

the weather in those days is not so good and i cannot say if that kind of prob was solved changing the Battery or not

i assume that the new Battery works fine (top brand and top product line)