Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis Slow Speed Brake Judder

securicar

My 2006 T180 has a strange slow speed brake issue. When driving slowly in first gear or when parking if you gently put your foot on the brake you get like a fluttering from the front offside brake as if the ABS is controlling the braking? Bit of a vague description but anybody have any ideas?

Not showing up anything on the Diagnostic machine either

Paul

Vibration in brakes when slowing down is usually because of warped brake discs.

Normally the vibration can be felt in the brake pedal or steering wheel. In extreme cases you can feel a vibration in the drivers seat.

I know what you mean but this is something completely different. Normal and heavy braking is fine. This only happens when you are barely moving and just touch the brake. It's only on the front off side and feels like the abs is fluttering on and off quickly?

If it was me, I would remove the wheel to inspect and clean the pads disc and calipers. It could be brake dust. Make sure the discs are mot scored.

Also check that the caliper can move freely, and the piston is not sticking. Remember to pump the brake pedal before driving the car. The first push usually goes to the floor without any braking!!!!!!!!!!!

If you cannot do it yourself, then a garage can do a brake check.

The inboard face of the disc will probably hold the key. On my 2008 the original pads and discs are still on and I'm unhappy with the wear patterns given the mileage is less than 40k. I've found that Mintex brake pads and discs have never caused me problems with uneven wear and shall be swapping to them next service even though there's more than 50% wear left.

• 4 years later...

I have exactly this problem, feels like around of rapid machine gun fire when you press the break at low speed, and it’s random, any thoughts?

If you mean a loud low frequency graunching noise, just before the car comes to a halt, check the brake pads and discs. I had this on my old Avensis many years ago, and cleaning them helped for a while, but changing the pads or pads and discs solved the problem. It was build up of brake dust in my case. 
I remember when it so bad, it sounds like a big subwoofer!

Hi Konrad C,

No, this is like a spring sound followed by an almost buzz at high frequency

• 3 years later...

Recently have been experiencing that, I changed the discs and shoes. Surprisingly nothing changed. I later realized all my engine mounts were broken. The vibrations are gone now. 

Mine is doing the same thing so I bid some research and think it's abs wheel sensor 

22 hours ago, JPGT4 said:

Mine is doing the same thing so I bid some research and think it's abs wheel sensor 

is it by chance discs problem i was sickened with my last car thats was tbh the main reason i got rid of it was dam kept getting shuddering from the front breaks when breaking i didnt even drive that hard on the the breaks either but my main problem im thinking was those rare brand motor factor discs. i just figured this out as soon as i sold my car and bout a 2014 toyota avensis with 38k on the clock she drives great and no shudder problem what so ever .i have bought genuine toyota avensis discs for my front as well think might need them but she went threw the mot good so not going to bother changing them as she drives great i have did the rear discs and pads with genuine toyota parts so should be all good there 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links