Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris Acceleration. Where Is It?

Tafia

When I first drove my wife's Auris 2012 1.6 petrol I had a lot of trouble finding the gears so I let her do the driving most of the time.

I have now gotten used to it but have noticed the acceleration is worse than any car I can remember. I put my foot down and hardly anything happens. Do that in the Corolla 2 litre diesel she had before and see the car leap forward. Auris is flat as a penny. It does get there in the end but I am very disappointed.

I had thought that as it has allegedly more BHP than the Corolla the acceleration should at least match it but no. Seems the turbo diesel made a big difference. The bhp figures seem to vary too. One site says it is 124 bhp and I have seen 130 elsewhere.

Is this normal for the Auris? I realise it is a heavy car but sheesh!!

Cheers

T

Yes, I drive 2011 1.3 Auris and its exactly the same. There is some sort of lag, all new cars are made like this now. Its supposed to 'lower' emissions...

I have noticed the exact same in my 14' Auris 1.6, the acceleration is embarrassing.

I came from previous diesel cars and was used to the low rev torque that these cars have. I think you have to get used to changing down a gear (or two) and give it some revs.

My 2010 1.6 petrol goes just as advertised but you have to allow the engine to rev to levels that you would not do with a diesel motor.

The manual 1.6 Auris is 0-62mph 10sec 132 bhp

My automatic is 11.1 secs to 62 132bhp.

Neither of them are rocket ships thats for sure.

My last car (which was stolen) was a Suzuki Swift Sport 12 plate 0-60 around 8 secs if you gave it the beans 1.6 137 BHP.

The road holding was fantastic,in fact it is the ONLY car in 50 years of driving that ever made me smile.

I used to take it out for a blast late at night just for the fun of driving it.

The Auris just doesn't have the same effect on me,it just does what it does and thats about it.

Fantastic little car the Swift Sport,should have got another one.

Where's the telephone :-))

The thing is you have to remember these are still japanese engines. The japanese have this obsessions with high revs and all the power in their engines is mostly at the top end!

It's only because we have been spoilt with their fantastic diesel engines (Which they also somehow made high-revving!) that we've been able to pootle around at low RPM and still have the torque, but I find most of their petrol engines need at least 3000rpm to really come alive!

(I really had to change my driving style when I had an Aygo/C1/107 for a courtesy car; Kept stalling the bugger by changing up far too early! :lol: There were hills I'd do in 4th in my Yaris that the Aygo would need 2nd to do and still be able to accelerate! It did have much nicer handling than the rolls-like-a-whale Yaris suspension tho', very chuckable round corners :D)

The thing is you have to remember these are still japanese engines. The japanese have this obsessions with high revs and all the power in their engines is mostly at the top end!

It's only because we have been spoilt with their fantastic diesel engines (Which they also somehow made high-revving!) that we've been able to pootle around at low RPM and still have the torque, but I find most of their petrol engines need at least 3000rpm to really come alive!

(I really had to change my driving style when I had an Aygo/C1/107 for a courtesy car; Kept stalling the bugger by changing up far too early! :lol: There were hills I'd do in 4th in my Yaris that the Aygo would need 2nd to do and still be able to accelerate! It did have much nicer handling than the rolls-like-a-whale Yaris suspension tho', very chuckable round corners :D)

This is true! Despite its performance pulling from stand still, the engine does come alive at higher rpm and is somewhat addictive. I recently changed from a 12' Yaris 1.33, that was a fun little engine and faster off the mark but the handling was shocking!

Thanks for all your responses, folks.

My 2004 Honda Accord is a real rocket in comparison.

I will probably need to change it soon and was looking at an Avensis, mainly because the local Toyota dealer is quite good with us now he has realised that we are not the usual idiots he can lash with tales of a cut in the tyre at MOT. I asked them to keep the tyre to show me and there was no sign of a cut - that didn't go down too well.

If the Avensis engine performs in the same way the Auris does, perhaps not.

Cheers,

T

Kick my CVT Auris down and you get a real impression of acceleration,until you look at the speedo and realise its all noise and no go !!!!

I tried booting the car in the lower gears this morning as suggested by the contributors here and it did accelerate quite quickly but joining the dual carriageway off the slip needs care to get it up to speed.

Hard to believe it will get to 60 in 10 seconds. Odd that in days gone by diesels were sluggish but the 114 bhp Corolla T3 diesel is a real rocket in comparison to the Auris petrol which seems to need to be rowed along with the gear stick as an oar!!

I tried booting the car in the lower gears this morning as suggested by the contributors here and it did accelerate quite quickly but joining the dual carriageway off the slip needs care to get it up to speed.

Hard to believe it will get to 60 in 10 seconds. Odd that in days gone by diesels were sluggish but the 114 bhp Corolla T3 diesel is a real rocket in comparison to the Auris petrol which seems to need to be rowed along with the gear stick as an oar!!

The difference is all down to the Torque and where its available, in simplistic terms BHP ( and gearing ) dictate how fast a car is but Torque dictates how the car can put the BHP to use, your Auris is both quicker to 60mph and has a higher top speed than the Corolla but its lower torque figure is much higher up the rev range meaning higher RPM is required.

The Corolla develops 90nm more torque than the Auris all available much lower in the rev range giving the Corolla more shove for less effort but is ultimately slower to 60mph and has a lower top speed.

In a head to head race from a standstill the Auris would pull away from he Corolla but a head to head in gear race e.g in top gear @ 40mph the Corolla would initially pull away from the Auris until the Auris engines revs come up then the Auris would reel in the pass the Corolla.

Corolla 250nm between 1800-3000rpm

Auris 160nm @ 4400

I bet the Corolla would get to 60 with a lot less fuel used tho' :lol:

Ahh, I do miss my bro's Corolla 2.0 D4D. It was a really nice car to be in and drive :)

I bet the Corolla would get to 60 with a lot less fuel used tho' :lol:

Ahh, I do miss my bro's Corolla 2.0 D4D. It was a really nice car to be in and drive :)

I had a 2001 Corolla 2.0 D4D. Only 98 left in the UK, too bad when I sold myne last week, the person who brought it exported it to Ivory Coast!!! Thats another one down!

Thanks Lee,

That explains it very well. As a long time diesel driver ( Accord 2.4 diesel and the sadly missed Corolla) I am not used to having to rev engines and hate the MOT when the tester has to bounce my cars engine off the limiter. I go for a walk so that I don't hear it.

The Honday is " just above a tick over" at 70mph ( around 2000 revs).

I presume the Auris engine is designed to be revved. I guess I will have to get used to a different driving style.

Thanks again.

T.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links