Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aftermarket Navigation / Bluetooth

mab13

I don't have nav or bluetooth in my car so I'm considering aftermarket options.

What have you done please? It doesn't have to replicate oem, but I do want it to look fully integrated... i.e. with TomTom I'd want a docking station for the unit with all wires hidden, with Parrott I'd want all wires hidden etc.

Solutions don't need to address both requirements either. If there's a particularly good nav option, for example, then I could simply keep a bluetooth earpiece in the car for the odd call.

Thoughts appreciated together with any pics of what you've done. Thanks.

I am currently thinking of getting one of these:

http://www.my-io.com/products/io-play2-overview/

All connects to the std Radio/CD player, stream music via bluetooth from phone, satnav etc. Browse your phones phonebook and music library. I prefer to have a stand alone satnav, cheaper to upgrade after a few years ;) I've had my Garmin a few years now, but it came with free lifetime map updates so that is a big bonus. The iO Play2 will also connect to a bluetooth enabled satnav to give voice directions through car spaekers whilst muting the music being played.

If I do decide to get it, the controller will go between cup holder and gear stick and the display wil sit on top off the steering wheel cowl just under the rev counter.

Good place Mark. When i fitted my TPMS there i found i had to cut the plastic bar underneath so just a warning what your in for. Also i dont know if you have an iPhone but a lot of devices are not able to look at the iphone's phone book

David

I'm wondering whether to simply get a Kenu Airframe and pop my iPhone in it. Whist it won't work with the car's Speakers etc. it gives me nav and hands free phone for £17.95.

Hmmm... decisions, decisions.

Mark - thanks for the heads up on the io though. :)

The controler is surface mounted, so no cutting needed. I will place it as close to cup holder or gear stick gaiter for the wire to slip through the trim. Windows phone for me ;)

Ive got a Parrot MKI9200. Fitted with a Brodit mount for my iPhone, with hands free bluetooth, music and sound via bluetooth, iPhone dock, Audio connector, usb stick and Sat nav with full speacch on iPhone from Copilot, great setup and not too difficult to fit.

Ive got a Parrot MKI9200. Fitted with a Brodit mount for my Iphone, with hands free bluetooth, music and sound via Bluetooth, Iphone dock, Audio connector, usb stick and Sat nav with full speacch on Iphone from Copilot, great setup and not too difficult to fit.

Any chance of a quick iPhone pic when you get a minute? That sounds a rather nice setup...

Ill get a pic tomorrow.

The full set up for an iPhone 5 is as follows

Parrot kit, £100 off Amazon

SOT cable £13 off eBay

Brodit IQ mount £19 brodit

Brodit active iPhone holder £39 brodit

Genuine Apple 30 pin to 8 pin adapter £15 off eBay only Genuine works

Copilot, £15 off Itunes

Grab an SD card and put some tunes on, plop your controller in front of the centre cup holder, the mic up by the rear view mirror and enjoy.

I even put a Toyota screensaver on my screen to look quite snazzy and put a Suzuki one on the one I have in the Vitara, the great thing is, the screen saver is stored in the blue box behind the dash so the removeable screen can be used in either car.

Ill get a pic tomorrow.

The full set up for an Iphone 5 is as follows

Parrot kit, £100 off Amazon

SOT cable £13 off Ebay

Brodit IQ mount £19 brodit

Brodit active Iphone holder £39 brodit

Genuine Apple 30 pin to 8 pin adapter £15 off Ebay only Genuine works

Copilot, £15 off Itunes

Grab an SD card and put some tunes on, plop your controller in front of the centre cup holder, the mic up by the rear view mirror and enjoy.

I even put a Toyota screensaver on my screen to look quite snazzy and put a Suzuki one on the one I have in the Vitara, the great thing is, the screen saver is stored in the blue box behind the dash so the removeable screen can be used in either car.

That's really helpful - thank you. :thumbsup:

50A5FCD5-7ADA-413D-89CF-6AB742594B1C_zps

I have my Sat nav in built into the iPhone and when I get bored can switch to OBD via a WIFI plug in on the OBD socket, only cost £11 off Amazon. The Mic is positioned on the screen near rear view mirror and a wireless bluetooth controller next to the gearstick in front of the cup holder.Sorry about quality of pics, but i was a little busy today.

Just some quick pictures of the iO Play2 I have just fitted today, will post more about it when I've used it a bit.

Controller, positioned as close to gear stick gaiter as possible to hide the wire.

WP_20140818_001_zps5c3799d0.jpg

Microphone, instruction said to position centrally, NOT on A-post and 6 inches from windscreen.

WP_20140818_008_zpscf6c1fcb.jpg

Aux Input, thought I might as well fit it as seen as it was supplied.

WP_20140818_009_zps303c62e7.jpg

I mounted the Display on steering wheel cowl, best place for the driver to see (don't see the point in passengers being able to see it). From my view it just about covers the bottom of the rev-counter.

WP_20140818_003_zps74c3ba12.jpg

Edit: The reason the above picture looks blurred is because it is 'scrolling text' ;)

Parrot MKI 9200 allows charging, bluetooth and dock sounds from iPhone, full music and phone book directory lookup with shortcuts on the colour screen, as well as one touch voice dialling using the bluetooth remote. Nowhere near as complicated as it sounds

Mark for some reason every time i click on your pics to see in detail it just goes to a blank screen. Any thoughts

David

Mark for some reason every time i click on your pics to see in detail it just goes to a blank screen. Any thoughts

David

Sorry David no idea. I just logged out of Photobucket and clicked a picture. It opened up a new window to the picture hosted on the Photobucket site and displayed ok for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm picking my IQ2 up on Saturday and the first thing I'm going to do is get the Parrot bluetooth MK9000 screenless version fitted. Want the bluetooth and music streaming without having a screen on dash. The control unit on the parrot is very discreet.

• 8 years later...

Just wondering if anyone has any images from under the dash of how their Parrot bluetooth kit is connected?? I've got the 9100 model, can access the radio/cd player and have a good plan for getting it all installed.  However, I am a little confused with the iso connectors and what goes where.  I think I can see the connections between the parrot blue box and the radio/cd player for Speakers and radio.  However, there is a couple of grey connectors coming from the blue box which I am not sure what to connect too??  Has anyone got any images of what all the connectors clip to under the dash??  Any thoughts/images gratefully received.  Thanks, Mark. 

With a parrot kit you just use a standard Toyota SOT lead, it's then plug and play, no messing around

CT10TY01

• Like 2

Love that Flash22. 👍 

For some reason I managed to totally confuse myself when I initially looked at trying to plug the iso connector and parrot device leads in with cd/radio unit.  Revisited Saturday morning though and having followed some of the wires I found myself happy with everything at last!!  The existing cd-radio player plug/sockets are distinctive, they are self explanatory within the iso connector.  The next pieces I connected were the speaker/radio lines from the parrot device, the colours in the iso connector wiring allow for these to be easily identified.  The remaining "power" pieces from the parrot device where was confused me for some reason, think the change in colour coding scuppered me a little.  That was where I had to follow the wires, convince myself all was good, but they just plugged into the remaining 2 connector in the iso connector.  Literally as simple as that!!  

Was dead easy to install into the car as well, there is good space behind and below the cd/radio unit and there is ample space to get the cabling down into the passenger footwell.  I has seen images of others being installed behind the panelling in the passenger footwell, so went for that as well.  Much of the trim is removed with a firm pull, just one bolt has to be removed.  Couple of cable ties allowed the blue box to be secure in place and hold the cables headed for the cd/radio unit in place too.  The microphone I've installed above the rear view mirror, nice and discreet, with the cabling able to be hid in the roof lining, within the A pillar and into where the blue box is.  

Have put the hand control behind the handbrake and I haven't decided where to put the display yet.  Would like to get one of there from France if possible...https://www.setma-sa.com/integration-kit-mains-libres/1631-support-ecran-pour-parrot-mki9100-pour-toyota-iq-3284420065093.html...not sure, will have a think on that. 

All good though, simple install in the end and wish I'd done this a while back!! 😁

20230414_183240.jpg

20230414_183247.jpg

20230414_183257.jpg

20230415_101825.jpg

• Like 1

done more than a few installs in the past, when it was more black magic to do installs