Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Screen Mirroring

Otisred

To all who are following this topic:

FORGET ABOUT SCREEN MIRRORING

As this was one of a number of small complaints that I had about my Aygo, I contacted Toyota and the definitive answer is that THERE IS NO FURTHER SUPPORT FOR ANY UPDATES FOR THE X-TOUCH SCREEN SOFTWARE AND NO FURTHER IMPLEMENTATION OF SCREEN MIRRORING. This is from the horse's mouth, so to speak, so we can all just forget it now. It's not entirely Toyota's fault - it's mostly down to Panasonic, who seem to have lost interest in this item. Toyota no longer even mention this feature in the marketing of the Aygo, so that's it - forget about it and move on.

See Devon Aygo post of 22/08/16 in the following thread - 

19 hours ago, Graham Smith said:

To all who are following this topic:

FORGET ABOUT SCREEN MIRRORING

As this was one of a number of small complaints that I had about my Aygo, I contacted Toyota and the definitive answer is that THERE IS NO FURTHER SUPPORT FOR ANY UPDATES FOR THE X-TOUCH SCREEN SOFTWARE AND NO FURTHER IMPLEMENTATION OF SCREEN MIRRORING. This is from the horse's mouth, so to speak, so we can all just forget it now. It's not entirely Toyota's fault - it's mostly down to Panasonic, who seem to have lost interest in this item. Toyota no longer even mention this feature in the marketing of the Aygo, so that's it - forget about it and move on.

As per my post Mirror-link does work within the limitations of the sysytem Toyota have provided the functionality it is up to the Mirror-link consortium and app designers to offer the content, newer cars are already capable older cars can be update to operate. There is no such thing as direct screen mirroring

Devon Aygo - I have looked for the list of compatible phones, but can no longer find it. As far as I remember, there were only 3 or 4 phones quoted as being compatible, none of which are current or new models, so how can we say that screen mirroring is possible? If you know different, give us a link to a resource to find out if our phones will work.

If ANYONE has found ANY phone with which this feature works, PLEASE let us all know!

Getting a bit tiring now Graham my instructional post showing how to update your phone clearly shows a working headunit, personally I have used a Samsung Galaxy S3, S5 & S7 all of which worked, the GS3 used an app called "Drivelink" the GS5 & 6 both used the inbuilt Mirror-link. Personally I have not tested an iPhone so can't comment as don't have an iPhone or the special lead required for one. 

Here is a link to a list of phone with Mirror-link capabilities: http://www.mirrorlink.com/phones 

Okay, Okay! I stand corrected. Mind you, I have tried it with a Sony Xperia Z3 and it didn't work, but there you go. I'll shut up now.

Nobody is asking you to shut up but sweeping statements about the function not working help no one.

Your Xperia Z3 is listed on the Mirrorlink site so I assume it has ML to make it work we need to know what software version your X-touch is running

0705 & 0810 are only Mirrorlink 1.0 and only work with some pretty old phones

0820/30/40 are Mirrorlink 1.1 and should work with all the phone listed on link I gave

and confirm your phone actually does have Mirrorlink on it, on my GS7 it is hidden away in "settings" then "more connection settings" there should be a Mirrorlink tab with a greyed out slider?

As I said at the beginning of my "rant" - I asked about X-touch software updates for my 2015 Aygo - at my dealership and on the phone to Toyota GB - and they said they did not know of any updates being possible. Toyota GB in fact told me that none were planned. Now, that's what set me off in the first case, so if these people were wrong, and the software can be updated by the owner, that's OK, but I wouldn't know how. Anyway, to all those who have been able to get it to work, well done. I now will definitely leave this topic alone.

• 10 months later...

I am sorry to bring this topic back from the dead, but it seems the most related one to share my experiences and recent updates. I have been looking for quite a long time into resources about Mirrorlink and screen mirroring.

1. Mirrorlink is a standard that allows the display and use of specific apps on a car's head unit, if a Mirrorlink-compatible phone is connected. Limited number of apps, limited functionality.

2. Screen mirroring is mirroring the display of your smartphone to another screen (in our case,the car's head unit). It is not officially supported by Mirrorlink but is available through hacks for specific combinations of smartphones and head units.

I personally managed to connect my Samsung Galaxy A3 (2016) running Android Marshmallow (6.0), which I bought solely for this purpose as it was the cheapest Mirrorlink-certified phone available, with my Aygo's (2016) X-Touch display using this guide (no root needed).

It worked nicely (not perfectly) for a long time, so I could use e.g. Here Maps for navigation using my car's touch screen, see photos from my phone, switch between my phones apps etc.

After upgrading my A3 (2016) to Android 7.0 (Nougat), screen mirroring stopped working - at all. Each time I try to run the LG MirrorDrive app needed for screen mirroring as per the aforementioned hack leads to a "The display of this app is not supported" message. At the same time, Mirrorlink still works flawlessly, with the compatible apps that I have installed on my phone. Mirrorlink is pretty useless to me, since Sygic Car Navigation - the only compatible navigation app - is available as a 7-days demo (if I am not mistaken - I am still on day 2).

That's my short story. The point is that the Mirrorlink is really limited and since then new standards have been deployed (Android Auto, Car Play for iOS etc.) so efforts are split and no solution is complete.   

• 3 months later...
On ‎15‎/‎08‎/‎2014 at 7:07 PM, Devon Aygo said:

At the moment screen mirroring is only supported by a few Nokia Symbian phone, Iphones with Appincar App & Samsung GS3 And Note 2 with Drivelink app.

I have tried my partners Iphone 5 and my old GS3 which all work my new GS5 won't as I cannot install drivelink as Samsumg have not made it available.

Toyota have included the functionality we now have to wait for the Phone / App companies to give us the Apps we need.

The latest Samsungs (S7 & S8) and the HTC M8 & M9 have MirrorLink. There is a MirrorLink web site that lists the compatible phones. It's at:

www.mirrorlink.com/phones

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links