Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Our Next Prius

johnboy4809

Hi folks, I'm on here to ask some general advice, today we got the news that our dependable 06 t-spirit would be written off by the insurance company following some berk pulling out into the path of my wife on sunday. the car was very low millage only just over 50,000 and we had had it from new.

Unfortunately the insurance will not cover a new car so we are having to look at the used prius market, I have seen three from local toyota dealers with full toyota service history, they are a 08 with 65,896 miles, 07 with 60,987 and a 09 with 71,067 miles.

I just wandered if any one could offer advise on which one they would recommend, all are t spirit models so have same spec. We were going to have a look and a test drive so the other question is anyone have any tips of things to check on the cars before we agree to buy.

And finally, really sorry about all the questions, we had toyota fit parking sensors for free to close the deal when we bought the car, this time this will be over £200 from toyota so has anyone had experience with aftermarket sensors and are they easy to fit

thanks for your time reading this post

I am informed that second hand Prius cars are in high demand. In this area we have "The Thames Valley Trader" paper which has a wide selection of second hand Prius for sale. I suspect you have a similar paper in Yorkshire. Alternative approach your local Toyota dealer give them the top price you can pay for a Prius and see what they can come up with. I would suggest you go for the T Spirit if you can afford it, I have recently P/X my immaculate 2011 Prius T Spirit with very low mileage. The dealer sold that car before I did the P/X. Hope you get a good low mileage car. My mate has had good service etc from Toyota in York.

The three cars I am looking at are all t-spirits, thats the model we had and want to replace with and the three cars in my post are all from local toyota dealers, i just wanted peoples opion on which one they would suggest and also things to look out for when inspecting the cars

I would check the tyre makes as many are supplied with non-LRR tyres.

All much of a muchness.

Check what supposed to be fitted on the Tspirit is actually present and work.

I would check aircon too as that is a big bill if seals/condenser failed...see if there's any paperwork for recharges.

Then I would go for the one with best warranty compared to price given your mileage, so the 70k car isn't a bad deal doing 7k a year but would be doing 15k a year, if you get my drift.

thanks for the advice cootuk, I wasn't aware of LRR tyres but will certainly check and thanks for the advice on the air-con too

I would have a drive of each one, and be influenced by which feels the best, and looks good.

The computers look after the components of the Hybrid system fantastically - it would be incredibly hard for someone to have abused the hybrid system. Just look for signs of accident repairs, or frequent kerbing.

All three of my Prius from 2002 have been ex-demonstrators, and have been phenomenally reliable (touching wood :chair: ). My second (Gen 1) Prius had 8½k on the clock when I got it and 163k when I sold it 9 years later - the current owner is still using it almost every day and it's still going strong!

My 2000 and 2011 Yaris, on the other hand, were both brand new and loads of trouble!

I did a lot of research pre buying my Prius and I'd say the 2008 (end of 2nd Gen) has generally a better reputation than early 3rd Gens and depending on actual registration date you should still have the longer 8 year Battery warranty etc.

I managed to get a Dec 2008 T4 with 60K fsh for £6K (private) and mine has aftermarket reversing sensors, can't comment on ease of fitting but they work great with both a visual aid and sonar sound effect!

Good luck.

I did a lot of research pre buying my Prius and I'd say the 2008 (end of 2nd Gen) has generally a better reputation than early 3rd Gens and depending on actual registration date you should still have the longer 8 year battery warranty etc.

I managed to get a Dec 2008 T4 with 60K fsh for £6K (private) and mine has aftermarket reversing sensors, can't comment on ease of fitting but they work great with both a visual aid and sonar sound effect!

Good luck.

He's right. The later gen2 is almost over engineered. The gen3 first came out in 2009 with a reduced 60,000 mile warranty and with good reason. Whilst many owners have had trouble free experience, I have had more new parts on my car that it is almost brand new at 4 years old.

If you're after a Prius get a late 2008/early 2009 gen2 OR a gen3 after June 2010 and before April 2014. That way you get the better warranty.

thanks for your help guys, went to see the 2009 on sunday and liked the car, deposit placed and just waiting for a few things to be done. Sad to see or old prius go to the hybrid motorway in the sky, went before its time.

Curious which dealer you used? Vantage seem to be good and have been ok with me.

Well, best of luck with your choice, can I ask, what made you choose the one that you did?