Do Not Sell My Personal Information

:d New Car :d

Steve Ratcliffe

Morning Guys,

I finally got my T-Sport delivered on Friday!!! I have not been able to stop driving it all weekend :D

If anyone has any tips on how I should treat the new engine and for how long before I start getting top performance and top speed out of it? It doesnt seem to eager to do much above 100mph at the moment? Is this right for a new car with only just 200 miles done?

Steve.

hurrah! congratulations!

but don't you have to run a new car in? or don't you do that anymore? :huh:

I suppose the question is how long do you want to keep the car, most people change their cars pretty regularly so IMHO it is up to you whether you run it in or not.

Obviously the car will last a lot longer if you run her in properly but if your going to sell it in a few years time then is there really much point as you shouldn't be effected by the wear and tear that quickly...

Just means further owners down the lines may encounter more problems...

Well I am taking it easy at the mo - what would running it in entail? I didn't get much advise from the dealership on this one as the guy who i deal with was ill, so they had it delivered by someone else who only really handed over the keys and buggered off :S.

Steve :D

Hi Steve,

when i got my Corolla T Sport, i was told by the dealership and was confirmed in the handbook, that it was recommended that for the first 500 miles i stay below 4000rpm and from 500-1000 miles i build up to 4000-6000 rpm, where after you good then build up to the maximum legal limit of speed for your country, I followed the first two points to the letter of the book, even though as rhaines points out i like most most keep a car more than 3 yrs.

No having passed the 5000 mile mark that was more signifficant than the previous as the dealer had told me i would see a marked change in performance after that, and i believe this to be correct, the engine does feel freer now and is only too willing to sing its way up to 8200rpm, and it's at this point in 2nd that i have difficulty with the orinal point 3, :ph34r: and the stig in me takes over B)

Hi steve glad to here that you are enjoying yourself in your new car. :D As for running in I stuck to keeping the car under 3000rpm until i had 1000 miles on the clock. Then after that i was giving it a bit of stick for there onwards.

Like what jake said at the end of the day if you are going to keep the motor for awhile then it is advised to just baby it for awhile until you put some miles on the clock.

I know some people dont care about that. But thats how i have away done with my new cars and in return i have always had a good reliable service back from my cars.

Have fun anyway steve happy T sporting mate :D

Jerry!!

Ok - from now on I will keep it under 4000 rpm until 500 miles, and build on that gradually - I had some contridictory advice from this, but i beleave this to be correct - which leads me to ask if I will have done any damage if maybe a couple of times i might have got a little carried away?

Jake - at what rpm does the corolla tsport redline?

Regards, and Thanks,

Steve.

the car will be down on power as its used to being driven like a old lady..... the ECU learns as you drive.....it will take time to relearn and for you to know its full potental

dan

With regards to this running in theory, surely by keeping below 4000rpm for 500 miles, you are only running in *half* the engine?

I figure this because the cam profile changes at 6000rpm, so surely this part of the engine wont be run in at all??

Just my thoughts?

PLus of course your not running in the accelrator properly as surely a large percentage of it wont be used if your only rev'ing to 4k.....

LOLOLOLOL

Thats a good theory. Perhaps we should ask yaristpot about this one as he is the toyota mechanic. :blink:

jerry!!

Hi Steve,

you ready for this red line is 8200rpm, like a motor bike on four wheels, the engine note, chages at at 4200rpm, to a impressive throaty rumble, then as you pass 62oorpm the roar is quite something ok around 8200rpm its suggesting thats the limit, but hey thats what the limiter for :blink: