Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Opinion On Auris Hsd Tourer

T Sport 1978

Hi all,

I have had my 2010 Auris HSD T Spirit for 2 years now and maybe time for a change due to now being a dad of a 10 month old and increasingly finding it difficult to accommodate all the loot that needs carrying whenever we go out, I am trying to keep an open mind on the kind of car to get, whether it be a SUV, MPV, Estate or a big hatchback. The only criteria is a NON diesel after such a bad experience with my T180 Auris a few years ago, I am looking for a petrol but leaning more toward another hybrid after being spoilt with not paying car tax and low running costs of the current Auris HSD.

So, I am asking around here for any Hybrid Tourer owners for their opinions on their car, perhaps sharing any problems that you may have had and also how do you find the load space of the car?

Thanks in advance.

Gen2 Auris Sports Tourer? Prius+? The new Mitsubishi hybrid SUV?

I would recommend the Prius T Spirit. Lots of load space for luggage etc with under floor storage in the boot. Very reliable, I have only had one fault and I have had 3 Prius cars. Dealer fixed the one fault that happened under warranty. We find the car very comfortable on long journeys. I have suggested the T Spirit as it has the best spec. Prius cars from 2011 onwards had 5 year warranty on the car and 8 year warranty on hybrid Battery. 2014 Prius has 5 year warranty on car and Hybrid Battery but the hybrid warranty gets extended by having a yearly hybrid Battery health check.

The Auris Tourer gives the benefit of a hybrid without making the statement that many out there believe the Prius does. It's not known as the pious Prius for nothing :)

The Auris Tourer looks hot too.

From what I've read on here previously it's as nice as the other HSDs and as reliable, but feels a bit underpowered for an estate car.

I must say it looks a lot nicer than the newer Auris!

SWMBO has a 2010 Auris HSD T Spirit. We both love it but it's true that the boot is too small for a growing family (kids 5 and 8). It's a keeper as a second car though.

We have test driven an Auris Tourer and a Prius Plus looking for extra space, with a view to buying one of these when they reach 2-3 years old.

IMHO the Tourer looks good in some colours but somehow dumpy in others. We love the panoramic roof option only available on high spec versions, but somehow the car as a whole does not quite float my boat and I don't really know why. It's just a bit ordinary somehow which is weird when this is what we love about her car. It also doesn't feel as quick as her car.

Nevertheless I was still going to buy one as the used values seemed to be plummeting fairly quickly to my price point.

However as an interim measure I bought an early gen 3 Prius. I worried about the image but I couldn't care less now, I love this car. It is also more than adequate for boot space for the family so it's a keeper!

• Like 1

There's a lot of personal choice here - looks, digital or analogue instruments, for example.

In this part of East Anglia, local taxi firms seem to be ditching Prius in favour of the Auris Tourer Hybrid.

Personally, I'd hate to give up the digital instruments and Heads Up Display, but I'd pay serious money to get rid of the "flying bridge" centre console.

Yes, the flying console is a bit useless. Having come from a T-spirit Prius to a T-Spirit Auris, I'd also give serious money for

the rooftop storage space for my sunglasses. Gone.

the other storage drawers in various places. Gone.

the ability to talk to the nav system. Gone.

the boot space. Gone.

the ride quality. Gone.

the guide lines on the camera. Gone.

the ability of the camera to actually show anything after a cold start - it takes ages to warm up enough to be visible at all. Gone.

the nice glass touchscreen to be replaced by tacky plastic bouncy thing. Gone.

There are plus points of course, I'm just sounding off, and it's nobody's fault but my own for not checking these things properly first.

• Like 2

It's the little things.

What do you mean ride quality gone? Is the Prius better?

The Prius was on 15" and smooth and rattly. The Auris is on 17" and lumpy as heck - but not rattly.

I'm pretty happy with the ride, handling and quietness of my 2012 Gen 3 on 15" wheels - I seem to recall the face lifted Gen 3s had a slightly stiffer chassis to help in these respects.

The only Hybrids I've driven that were more comfortable were the Gen 1 Prius (better seats and ride) and the Lexus Hybrids on air suspension (which you'd kind of expect for £65-100k!)

I have a two week old Auris HSD touring sport in Island blue, in excel trim with panoramic roof and the ice grey leather interior (for exterior photo see below-I think it is a good looking car - apart from awkward rear end).

It's a great car to drive, if a little underpowered compared to my other car (see below)....but once you are up to speed it plods along quite nicely. Lots of Nice touches with a very relaxing to drive and ride.

My other car is a 170bhp skoda superb estate: Lots of power, space and refinement.

Paul

post-142916-0-34283500-1409180402_thumb.

170 bhp diesel to a 134 petrol.

Different cars with pro's and con's to each. When I got my Prius it was a toss up between it and the Superb saloon newer shape. I did almost go for the Skoda but now glad I didn't. The hybrid is just such a smooth and relaxing ride.

Yup different cars, but my skoda has dsg gear box which is an absolute dream and has oodles of power .

As relaxing as the superb is to drive I must also admit the auris ts is a more relaxing drive for me...probably as I am accepting that it does not have the same acceleration or reserve of power.

P

The Prius was on 15" and smooth and rattly. The Auris is on 17" and lumpy as heck - but not rattly.

My Gen II is smooth and quiet. No rattles at all.

I once had a small rattle but tracked it down to the sunglasses in the roof storage.

I got used to the gen 2 Prius rattles - entirely untraceable but appeared to be coming from inside the dash somewhere. Ah well, tis gone.

This morning the dealer gave me a lift in a new 2014 Prius. It's on 17" of course. Not rattly, but indeed, lumpy.

We discussed putting my Auris onto 15", which is apparently "a bit naughty" but they would do it. I guess I need to decide if the outlay will make that much difference or not. Hard to tell until you try I guess.

I got used to the gen 2 Prius rattles - entirely untraceable but appeared to be coming from inside the dash somewhere. Ah well, tis gone.

This morning the dealer gave me a lift in a new 2014 Prius. It's on 17" of course. Not rattly, but indeed, lumpy.

We discussed putting my Auris onto 15", which is apparently "a bit naughty" but they would do it. I guess I need to decide if the outlay will make that much difference or not. Hard to tell until you try I guess.

On what basis did they say it was naughty?

Hi T Sport 1978

I have had my Auris HSD Tourer icon now for 6 months and am on the whole very pleased with the car. You already own a hybrid so I don't need to tell you what it's like to drive so will concentrate on general impression of the car it's self.

The rear space is ok although not particularly deep with the false floor and storage tray in place so often find I need to remove both when I'm packing up the car to collect kids from Uni etc having said that the space below the false floor and the tray are handy for storing items out of site so boot looks empty you also have room for a full size spare in the back without impeding on luggage space which is good. I don't like the net divider that sits by the luggage cover as I never use it , it's very heavy and an extra thing to remove when I put the seats down and the fixings in the roof line have plastic covers of which one of mine keeps popping open not a big problem but annoying none the less I would just remove it but unfortunately it then leaves a gap between the back seats and the luggage cover so people can see whats in the boot. I find the 134bhp to be fine and the car has enough oomph for overtaking etc although noise wise as you will no is not great when you put your foot down hard but a small price to pay for all the positives.

The suspension on the tourer is very good and way better over the bumps than my previous car and I'm getting to like the reversing camera as opposed to the sensors on my last car would be great to have both but the excel spec was a little out of my budget range.

If your looking for a real work horse estate for lugging lots around daily then I would look elsewhere however if like me you don't need an estate car on a daily basis but do need the extra space over a hatchback regularly which for me is runs to the dump, holidays, picking up large items the other half has purchased on eBay and moving kids and their stuff around the country then would highly recommend the car.

I have also noticed that the car does seem to mist up very quickly in comparison to my previous car and requires the aircon on to de-mist quickly.

After 6 months of ownership if I could turn back time would I still purchase an Auris tourer? the answer is YES

Hope some of the above may be of help, if you have any specific questions then I'm happy to try and answer

Tutchy

• Like 1

On what basis did they say it was naughty?

I didn't enquire. It was me saying I'd be interested to do it, and there was a shrug, a sigh, a narrowing of the eyes, some hissing through the teeth and a reluctant long drawn out "weeeellll" followed by "I suppose if you went to the service counter and ordered new wheels telling them they were for a T4, then once you'd got them we'd fit them for you. Who would be to know they were for a T-Spirit until they were here? And I'm sure your insurance would be fine with it".

So I drew the "it's a bit naughty" conclusion without pushing as to why specifically.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Well, after much searching and negotiation I have jumped ship and gone back to Honda. Got myself an Accord 2.4 saloon, the boot in these turns out to be good enough. Had an Accord before the Auris and have always missed that car, this Accord was a good deal against my Auris in partx, a bit high miles but a good car with all the whistles. It's a guzzler compared to the Auris, but got a years tax out of the deal and with four new tyres, new brake discs and pads all round, and zero balance against the Auris, the deal was right.

Also refreshing to have a bit of power again!

Anyway, I will check in these boards as I have done since 2005, no doubt will be crossing paths again :)