Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Noise Or Rattle From Steering

stumpyj

Hi everyone

I have a 2010 Avensis Estate that I have owned from new. It was my company car and was serviced by Toyota so wanted for nothing. Its got 92k on the clock and has been pretty much trouble free.

Typically, now that I have bought it from my company, a noise has developed over the last couple of months.

Its hard to describe, I first thought that it was coming from the steering column, as it is worse when driving slowly over rough ground. It definately reduces as I speed up. There is no play in the steering, but the noise comes from that direction.

I have had the car to my local garage, and his first thought was the tyres on the front which were worn, so I replaced them. The garage owner is a friend so he went for a drive with me, and immediately heard the sound. His initially thoughts were the ABS motor. When we returned to the garage, we put the car up on the ramps and checked underneath. There was no rattle or noise when the car was not under load.

I then went upto the local Toyota dealer and the foreman came for a ride, he noticed the noise and said that he thought it was a mechanical noise. He had a good look under the car/bonnet and couldnt see anything wrong. He said that he had not come across that before. He said that the car was not unsafe and was probably more annoying than anything else.

Anybody got any ideas??

Cheers

If they haven't been checked already, I would check the front anti-roll bar bushes and drop links.

These tend to make a knocking/clunking noise on rough ground when worn.

• Like 1

The brake slider pins can wear giving a light rattle over lightly rough ground. See if the noise goes away when you press the brakes.

I also read on here about someone's rattle, IIRC it was something to do with the steering column.

cheers guys, ill get these checked out. ill let u know how i get on.

Possibly the nut at the top of the suspension Mcfersion strut is loose, remove the rubber grommet where the suspension top mount is on the inner wing in the mddle of the 3 nuts, check both sides.

Just a quick and a no cost idea,

Pete.

Possibility:

Technical Service Bulletin

CP-0077T-0614

INTRODUCTION
This Technical Service Bulletin is to inform you of the recommended Field Fix repair method for knocking noise
coming from the steering link.
DESCRIPTION OF PHENOMENON
Some customers may experience and report a knocking noise coming from the front of the vehicle during
driving.
REPAIR PROCEDURE
Replace the “Gear Assy, Steering” according to the procedure in the repair manual.
What is the registration date of your car, if its after 1st June 2010 then the car will have a 5year/100,000mile warranty and should be covered, if the car is registered before 1st June 2010 and has a full dealer service history ask for goodwill towards the repair.

• 4 years later...
On 8/26/2014 at 9:54 AM, stumpyj said:

Hi everyone

I have a 2010 Avensis Estate that I have owned from new. It was my company car and was serviced by Toyota so wanted for nothing. Its got 92k on the clock and has been pretty much trouble free.

Typically, now that I have bought it from my company, a noise has developed over the last couple of months.

Its hard to describe, I first thought that it was coming from the steering column, as it is worse when driving slowly over rough ground. It definately reduces as I speed up. There is no play in the steering, but the noise comes from that direction.

I have had the car to my local garage, and his first thought was the tyres on the front which were worn, so I replaced them. The garage owner is a friend so he went for a drive with me, and immediately heard the sound. His initially thoughts were the ABS motor. When we returned to the garage, we put the car up on the ramps and checked underneath. There was no rattle or noise when the car was not under load.

I then went upto the local Toyota dealer and the foreman came for a ride, he noticed the noise and said that he thought it was a mechanical noise. He had a good look under the car/bonnet and couldnt see anything wrong. He said that he had not come across that before. He said that the car was not unsafe and was probably more annoying than anything else.

Anybody got any ideas??

Cheers

DID YOU EVER GET TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS AS MY 2011 AVENSIS D4D 2.0L SEEMS TO HAVE THE SAME ISSUE WHICH IS GETTING WORSE. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

• 9 months later...

Hi , I also seem to have the same problem on my 2009 Avensis , did you ever get to the bottom of your problem 

many thanks 

David

• 1 year later...

Hi, i had a problem with my avensis 2012, sound only comes while driving and turning the steering. I went to mechanic but they were unable to locate the sound and said car seems no issue... I then went to discussion forum in pakistan where there ate alot many toyotas... some one said try to adjust the steering bcz it's telescopic steering.

I tried to adjust the steering all the way to down and sound was gone...

Try to adjust the steering maybe it resolve the issue

• Like 1

On 8/26/2014 at 9:07 PM, Devon Aygo said:

Possibility:

Technical Service Bulletin

CP-0077T-0614

INTRODUCTION
This Technical Service Bulletin is to inform you of the recommended Field Fix repair method for knocking noise
coming from the steering link.

DESCRIPTION OF PHENOMENON
Some customers may experience and report a knocking noise coming from the front of the vehicle during
driving.

REPAIR PROCEDURE
Replace the “Gear Assy, Steering” according to the procedure in the repair manual.

What is the registration date of your car, if its after 1st June 2010 then the car will have a 5year/100,000mile warranty and should be covered, if the car is registered before 1st June 2010 and has a full dealer service history ask for goodwill towards the repair.

would this affect the 2014 toyota avensis 2.0d4d mines rattle a real small bit nothing to bad but how would i know if this is the problem has passed the mot monday there 

13 hours ago, 2009joe said:

would this affect the 2014 toyota avensis 2.0d4d mines rattle a real small bit nothing to bad but how would i know if this is the problem has passed the mot monday there 

Many Toyota models suffer from steering column rattling and often is because of dried out lubricant. If it bothers you you can watch this video and follow the steps shown and try add some new grease and see if it will make any difference. I personally myself was thinking to do it, but then I need to have the car off the road for a day or two and it’s not worth it. Drove over 150000 miles with this slight rattling and nothing goes worse and it only comes in certain conditions, so not a problem for me. 

I had annoying rattling sound coming from somewhere at front at bumpy roads. Front brake sliding pins needed some new grease and sound was gone. 

I also had clunking sound mine T27 and greasing steering intermediate shaft (part 45260 at middle) worked couple weeks. After all I had to replace it and now that annoying sound is finally gone.

455242G.png

• 5 months later...

This annoying rattle is the steering column and it needs replacing,it happened to me in a 2010 avensis and Toyota replaced it under warranty, I was using the car as a taxi at that time and after another 10 months of driving it was gone again,I brought the car back to them but they wouldn't fix it again and to buy one myself they wanted £1400 just for the part so I got rid of the car after that.I actually put a post up recently to see if the newer models still have this problem but so far have had no response back.

I had similar noise on mine, a bit of a knocking noise going over uneven surfaces upto 40 mph.

My issue was the brake caliper carriers, I re-greased the slider pins and the noise went away until the grease wore down.

I have since picked up a new pair of carriers, and they have quietened down the knocking considerably. 

The retail price for the carriers is around £130 a side, I managed to find a pair from a breakers off a new car. 

Annoyingly Toyota know they wear and wouldn't warrant them, saying they are a "wear item" even though mine were noisy at 45K miles.