Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Idling Goes Below Normal When A/c Is On

bulletwithbutterflywings

idling can go from normal to as low as 500-600rpm whenever the a/c is on. but when its off, theres no problem. :wacko:

could it be the idle-up switch? where can i find that under the hood and how does it look like? :blink:

btw, the engine is a 4e-fte...

:help:

thanks!

The idle speed WILL go down when you activate the aircon. (usually by about 200 RPM). This is because the electronic clutch on the compressor is engaged, so the engine is turning both itself AND the aircon compressor.

If your idle speed doesn't drop it's a sure sign the aircon isn't working.

Just a thought here, but if the idle speed flutters a lot while the aircon is on, could this mean the compressor is on it's way out, stiffening up? Anyone?

Rich

AC sucks the life out of your engine. performance and response drop drastically when you have the airconditioning on, so it's to be expected

boro sera-i think that's a pretty good evaluation of when the compressor is shot, or perhaps its running low on freon, the substance that makes the air cold, as far as i know they DO use it in cars :huh: just my thoughts.

boro sera-i think that's a pretty good evaluation of when the compressor is shot, or perhaps its running low on freon, the substance that makes the air cold,

Not Freon anymore AFAIK. It's on the banned substance list. There's something else used instead.

If the gas pressure is low, the clutch won't engage. BUT the indicator light still comes on when you turn on the aircon. Only the resultant drop in revs (and hopefully cabin temp) confirm that the system is working.

I've read lots about aircon since I got my Sera last year. Spookily enough though, my aircon doesn't work.....hasn't since I got the car. It's just another one of those jobs on the 'to do' list. Someday though............... :D

Rich

yep - thats normal, mine drops too when aircons on - might do a jaimie from PIMP & just rip the entire unit out....

then 4agte or 4agze....... :lol:

J

Idle should increase by about 150rpm to compensate for a/c being on.

Idle should increase by about 150rpm to compensate for a/c being on.

D'oh. I Got that one a bit wrong then.

:crybaby:

Cheers Andrew

my one used to rise to 1500rpm at e-con and some times 2000rpm at ac

by the how do u put a pic on the left hand side below my user name???? <_<

The car should idle between 650 and 850 rpm, when warm.

To get an "avatar" below your user name, you need to click on "My controls", near the top of the page and then Avatar settings on the LHS, near the bottom. You can choose from a small number of standard pictures or upload a small picture of your own.

The car should idle between 650 and 850 rpm, when warm.

thanks for the info, dude!

I could care less about my A/C, it is out of freon, but i dont see the point to refill it.

while we are on the subject of a/c would any one know why, when driving with the air con on after you give it a bit a high speeds the aircon shuts off and the a/c lights starts to flash. i swicth it all off the turn it back on it goes back to normal