Do Not Sell My Personal Information

63 Mpg Honestly

The Cav

I recently took a run from liverpool to llandudno

On the way back i took the old road not the A55 and managed to achieve 63mpg from my 2.2 avensis diesel by easy driving in 6th geararound 40-45 mph

My mate in his cmax diesel only managed 42mpg dont ask me how

But since my little indiscretion with the petrol pump instead of the diesel one...i put 8lts of petrol in before i stopped and tanked the car with diesel..i now regularly achieve 39-40 mpg around town

And as i previoysly posted i no longer get black smoke when driving normally which i always got when driving up the box or excelerating out of a bend dispite trying every injector cleaner on the market..but what ever the reason was the petrol has cleaned it...i suspect a sticky injector was the problem

Nice story - do you think it just required a little clean out?

Beware! I dont mean to rain on your parade but Diesel fuel has more lubrication properties than petrol and the reason why its dangerous is that It ll strip almost any kind of lubricant from where there should be lubrication especially the fuel pump. I must tell you that in order to achieve efficient and good burn with lubrication is to add some 2 stroke oil. Please read up on. Using petrol in a diesel is way more dangerous if used as a substitute to clean the inside of your car.

Regards,

Waqar

Petrol is a much more powerful solvent than diesel so it's possible it's stripped out or dissolved some crud in the engine somewhere. It is a lot more risky to use it in modern engines due to the injectors being that much tighter, whereas it was apparently a common thing to mix diesel with petrol in the winter to stop it gelling up on older diesel engines :lol:

There are better additives out there tho' - V-Power diesel is an easy option, but the various BG-something-something ones that certain people are very keen on here ;) , then there's the old 2-stroke oil, but I think that's more to reduce smokiness than to clean the engine.

Adding 2 stroke to my old Ford Transit diesel used to make it drive real smooth, quieter, less gear changing etc, I used to add 2 stroke every time I filled up.

As I deliver fuels for a living, I can tell you that some of the farmers actually put a small amount of petrol in their diesel tanks because their machinery runs more cleanly that way. What really messes some cars up these days is the high percentage of bio-mass in certain supermarket fuels - hence the reason many of us stick to Esso, Shell, etc.

Its a proven fact that Vpower and like fuels are a waste of money unless you have a super car ..ordinary cars like The Avensis etc gain no benefit from the higher octane of the V power fuel and higher cost of the fuel

Incidently i put the petrol in my D4D purly by accident

Yes the outcome was to solve the smoking problem that the car was suffering with

Dispite using bg244 .Forte etc etc which all proved to be a waste of hard earned cash

BTW the petrol mistake happened back in December 2013

And the car seems fine I just changed the fuel filter when i was completly sure all the petrol was out the fuel system

Its a proven fact that Vpower and the like are a waste of money

I disagree and can back up with data - under normal conditions it more than makes up for the extra cost in fuel savings.

• Like 1

Its a proven fact that Vpower and like fuels are a waste of money unless you have a super car ..ordinary cars like The Avensis etc gain no benefit from the higher octane of the V power fuel and higher cost of the fuel

Incidently i put the petrol in my D4D purly by accident

Yes the outcome was to solve the smoking problem that the car was suffering with

Dispite using bg244 .Forte etc etc which all proved to be a waste of hard earned cash

BTW the petrol mistake happened back in December 2013

And the car seems fine I just changed the fuel filter when i was completly sure all the petrol was out the fuel system

See above.

It is far superior to old four star so any older car will run better including modified or normal vehicles under normal conditions will see benefits. have qualitative data on this.

Well said Robert - the point of Vpower diesel is not to make more power as such, but to smooth out & bolster the torque curve & run cleaner. This in turn gives better MPG & can sometimes produce a little more power. I can't use it in my Auris because there aren't any Shell garages that sell it within 100 mls, but I did use petrol Vpower in my Nissan Almera 1.8 & I could feel the difference. MPG improved around 2-3 miles per gallon, so I KNOW it works.

Amongst the higher cost fuels, it was only BP's range that failed the extra cost versus improvement challenge.

I must admit that i dont like supermarket derv

At the moment i am running on sainsbury diesel the car runs ok

As i said before my 2.2 Avensis does run clean now following my petrol mishap but i must say that there is a slight increase in smoke(nothing drastic) usingthe sainsbury fuel which i am lead to believe has a high BIO FUEL content so i will be going back to Shell ,Esso , BP but definatly only the ordinary diesel