Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Air And Cabin Filters- Prius Gen 2

MLW2233

Replaced both filters today as it is going in for a service, and I resent paying £39 when a mann filter (top quality) is just £9.02p. What surprised me was that both were dirty after only 10,000 miles. It reinforced my view that the normal service intervals on these are far too long.

Do you live in a dusty area?

Both mine lasted for 20K at least.

When I had the first 10K service last year after buying the car in 2012 I was advised that both filters would require changing at the 60K service.

I checked the air filter just before the service and it was dirty, but not to the point of NEEDING doing.

They were done at that service in June this year, I only paid for the pollen filters though.

I picked the car up with approx. 42K on the clock and don't know when they were last changed.

I leave the heating system on A/C Auto so the A/C is on and off as the car decides.

I live in London/Essex hardly the end of the earth......or maybe it is!

I change my cabin filter every 10,000 miles too; and it is always black. I don't live in an area renowned for pollution but the car was used in town all its life.

Personally, even if you cabin filter isn't dirty after 10k, you might still want to change it for general health reasons. Over 10k miles It can grow all sorts of mould on it and you'll be breathing that in! Agreed that a non Toyota filter at £9 is much better value than the £40 demanded by main dealers!?! No idea how they justify that.

I think you will find that the standard Toyota filter is electrostatic and is capable of filtering to a high level without too high a resistance, (but still overpriced).

http://www.camfil.co.uk/Filter-technology/Principles-of-Filtration/Mechanical-and-Electrostatic-filters/

The cheaper filters are simple pleated, porous paper and whilst they do a good job they just work mechanically like a sieve and are incapable of filtering out the finest particles without introducing an unacceptable flow resistance.

Interestingly, electrostatic filters may be easily cleaned and their powers regenerated by simple light vacuuming then a good rinsing with soft water with a little soap to be as good as new.

Toyota also offer 'enhanced' cabin filters which contain a layer of activated charcoal in, which supposedly cuts 25% more major pollutants from entering the cabin. They do cost approx 50% more. Currently got one in my Auris.

http://blog.toyota.co.uk/toyota-cabin-filters-the-secret-to-cleaner-air-infographic#.VAw6mTewWUY

Toyota also offer 'enhanced' cabin filters which contain a layer of activated charcoal... Currently got one in my Auris.

is the difference very noticeable?

Toyota also offer 'enhanced' cabin filters which contain a layer of activated charcoal... Currently got one in my Auris.

is the difference very noticeable?

Went for the enhanced filter as my partner has asthma, and the traffic in Birmingham tends to be quite heavy - both in volume, fumes, etc. She reckons its better than the standard filter.

The enhanced filter with discount worked out at just over £22, so for my Auris about £8 more than the standard. So for that difference, I thought it was worth a try.

• Like 1

Replaced both filters today as it is going in for a service, and I resent paying £39 when a Mann filter (top quality) is just £9.02p. What surprised me was that both were dirty after only 10,000 miles. It reinforced my view that the normal service intervals on these are far too long.

Dirty is slightly different to blocked or flow restricting though. Have you any pic's of how dirty we're talking?

I can't see a manufacture going to turn down more money on servicing by saying filters don't need changing when actually they do?

• 1 month later...

Need to replace the cabin pollen filter and was searching for compatible aftermarket products. Thought I'll share the info. here.

Activated carbon / charcoal (enhanced) cabin air filter for Prius Gen2:

WIX Filters - WP9027

Hengst - E2915LC

mann FILTER - CUK 2131

FRAM - CFA9846

Standard cabin air filter for Prius Gen2:

WIX Filters - WP9026

Hengst - E2915LI

mann FILTER - CU 2131

FRAM - CF9846

Ordered Hengst E2915LC (enhanced) from Amazon @11.37, a perfect fit.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links