Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hiace D4D Very Smokey!

yourmatedave

Hi guys, my 02 Hiace d4d has been emitting black smoke quite a bit recently, she has just passed 200000, so been around a bit, always had filters and oil every 5000 miles in my ownership, and recently had a service at 200000. Basically it kicks out black smoke when under reasonable throttle, eg holding 65mph, accelerating up to speed, but not at idle. It's not a huge amount, but definitely not right. Is there any order I should start looking into it? I am reluctant to spend a huge amount on it, but I'm guessing the injectors spray pattern check would be the first port of call? The turbo seems to boost fine, and it's still good on fuel, I have got 42mpg on a recent trip away. Somehow though I assume it is just over fueling pretty much the whole time, is there anything else that could have gone out of spec? EGR maybe? Anyway, any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Dave

This will not harm your engine in any way in fact it's better for the engine its just a regulation in certain countries) (9 times out of ten this will also eliminate any black smoke issues when accelerating)

I won't bore anyone with the science behind this but the simplest mod is to stop the EGR valve from opening. this will lit take 30secs,

1. Open the bonnet

2. on the inlet manifold side right at the back you feel a diapharm on one side it has a plug the other side has a vac hose.

3. Simply pull the hose off and put a small bearing in the end

4. Put the hose back on hey presto,

This returned me an extra 5miles per £10 of fuel with the auto box and no more black smoke.

• Like 2

BG244 in tank mate as well... will clean the system out

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers guys, I have run bg244 throught it, seemed to reduce the smoke, I will blank off the egr and see what happens!