Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

My2014 Hilux Sat Nav - Improved Or Not?

K19NE G

Hi all,

Been a long time since I posted here, mostly because we sold my wife's iQ and secondly because I've not had many issues with my Hilux. It's currently a light use work vehicle, Dec 2012 Invincible model and it's due for a change so I wanted to see if there were any improvements over mine, particularly with regard to the terrible Touch and Go nav system it has?

It is simply the worst sat nav I have ever used and the system as a whole (media, radio, traffic, nav, online services, camera view) isn't a great package either.

This and the lack of Isofix in the rear are the two biggest reasons I'm tempted to go for something different, along with the fact work might be purchasing on my behalf so I could afford a bit more from another make.

Your thoughts and advice please? :ermm:

Gary

This and the lack of Isofix in the rear are the two biggest reasons I'm tempted to go for something different, along with the fact work might be purchasing on my behalf so I could afford a bit more from another make.

Your thoughts and advice please? :ermm:

Gary

My initial thoughts are that it will be a mistake to get any another pickup than a Hilux if reliability and durability are the most important features

Also bear in mind the all new Hilux will be released next year.

Not sure if you have them in the UK but I would go Isuzu D-Max, their reviews have been destroying ALL other utes(pick ups) on the NZ market including Hilux.

Not sure if you have them in the UK but I would go Isuzu D-Max, their reviews have been destroying ALL other utes(pick ups) on the NZ market including Hilux.

NO WAY, I`ve had and like Isuzu but they not up to the overall package of the Hilux......and the new model is yet to arrive :clap:

I am not sure which brochure you have been looking at but the raw specs are as follows:

gross weight:Lux 2780kg Dmax2950

Max torq:Lux 343Nm Dmax380

Kw:Lux126 Dmax130

Max braked towing:Lux2500kg Dmax3500kg

wading depth:Lux700mm Dmax800mm

consump:Lux8.3L/100km Dmax8.6L/100km

that puts the Dmax as winner in 4 of the six most important categories, how hilux has the "better package" is beyond me. for the last two years Dmax has taken ute of the year in NZ and Oz. Maybe for what we in the colonies need it for it is the best. I suppose it depends what you want from a ute, the hilux is also more expensive($9-11k) more and I do not see where the extra "value" is. Toyota warrenty in NZ is 100kms or 3 years on a hilux, Dmax warrenty is 130kms or 5 years which would you rather have.

The hilux whilst being a very good ute is yesterdays king. If you don't like Dmax then next on my list and still before the hilux is the Ford ranger and it's uglier twin the Mazda BT50. I probably wouldn't buy the BT50 based on looks alone, call me shallow. the VW amarok is a joke, the Nissan STX has stuff all ground clearance, the Holden Colorado is only rated to 500mm for wading, the Mitsi Triton has a weak gearbox. Ssangyong, great wall and mahindra are still trying to make fire in the dark of their cave but are ok if you want to carry a couple of sacks of compost and the dog once a month. The Foton Tunland is impressing me for a new comer and can only get better, they made a good start by powering it with a cummins 2.8L, it's well priced at only $32k so I would watch this space.

if you are like me, that goes 4WDing and hunting in the NZ bush on a weekly basis, driving on the beech to go fishing once a monthish and towing 9 cord of wood every autumn over farmland, if you want a work horse that can tow and swim at a reasonable price I can't see how any sensible person could go past the Dmax.

Toyota has been resting on its reputation with the Hilux for the last couple of years and has not followed through with its great name when it comes to the hilux and it shows. Hilux was the No.1 selling ute in NZ for at least 30 years with 85% market share. From 2010 onwards Toyota has either tried to produce and urban assault vehicle or they simply got lazy with lack of focus and dedication to what a real ute is supposed to be and their bottom line proves it. In my honest, brutal opinion the last real hilux was made in 2004, I made the mistake of buying the new shape in 2005, I was left broken hearted. the 05 lux would so much as look at a tree and would develop a dent, the 04 and earlier used to make trees uproot themselves and run.

Each to their own good luck in what ever you choose to spend your hard earned money on.

Each to their own good luck in what ever you choose to spend your hard earned money on.

Thanks, I did and bought a new Hilux, and haven`t regretted it for a second.

I`m talking about things like proven reliability, plenty good dealers,great

resale value,and quality not paper stats.

Good Luck with your new pickup you might need it :D

K19NE

Buy a 70 series, go big. If your work is spending the lions share, let them then spend your cash moving from what Dave would have you believe is the best ute in the world to what almost certainly is, 70 series!!!!!

Dave

It humours me that of all of the valid opposition to your vehicle of choice the only in put you have is to wish me luck with a non hilux purchase. You bought a hilux you didn't design it, don't get so precious. the chap that begun the thread has asked for input into a new vehicle, he is considering other options and rightly so, it's called shopping around. I get you are a die hard Toyota fan and that is fine but to not even help the man out with reasons why not to purchase anything else using valid examples is blind admiration.

You say you take no notice of paper stats? foolish! do you just buy solely on "proven" reliability? when I bought my new Hilux they had huge issues with moisture pooling in the fuel systems and I had to service more often than comparative brands. further more the interior quality was cheap plastic, it was too light in the rear and they must have used 50% less metal than previous models on the panels. I bought that Hilux based on their "proven reliability" I have regretted it ever since.

I'm not saying the lux is a bad truck it's just my opinion that Hilux is not the best for my needs, which I do believe I pointed out several times. Luck? don't need luck with a D Max 5 year warranty. Not ready to buy a new ute just yet, the surf does everything I need it to, rest assured when the time comes to make the move if Hilux carry on the steady decline as PROVEN by reviews, sales and end product it won't be my first pick. If Toyota pull their big boy socks up and produce a ute that thrashes all competitors hands down they will have earned my hard earned cash. I say show me the money Toyota and don't rest on a once great vehicles reputation.

resale....a bit of a cop out if you ask me, resale is only really relevant if your ute is an urban tractor and sold in near new condition a few years after purchase. If you actually use it for what it was intended, the ware and tare, bumps and scratches are going to affect resale. why would you want to sell a vehicle you have termed "bullet proof". if they are soooo reliable, bullet proof and ultimately untouchable as you would have me believe why sell it?

I do hope Toyota sort their focus on the trusty old lux and pave the way for its return to greatness. If I wanted to spend $25k more than the mid range ute I would go 70 series no doubt, the hilux's bigger, better, stronger, more capable and all round better big brother. land rover, Jeep and everything else get eaten for breakfast by 70 series utes in this part of the world.

enjoy your ute and take care out there dave.

Dave

It humours me that of all of the valid opposition to your vehicle of choice the only in put you have is to wish me luck with a non hilux purchase. You bought a hilux you didn't design it, don't get so precious. the chap that begun the thread has asked for input into a new vehicle, he is considering other options and rightly so, it's called shopping around. I get you are a die hard Toyota fan and that is fine but to not even help the man out with reasons why not to purchase anything else using valid examples is blind admiration.

You say you take no notice of paper stats? foolish! do you just buy solely on "proven" reliability?

resale....a bit of a cop out if you ask me, resale is only really relevant if your ute is an urban tractor and sold in near new condition a few years after purchase. If you actually use it for what it was intended, the ware and tare, bumps and scratches are going to affect resale. why would you want to sell a vehicle you have termed "bullet proof". if they are soooo reliable, bullet proof and ultimately untouchable as you would have me believe why sell it?

Quite an essay there bud, you`ve got quite a bee in your bonnent haven`t you :D

I`m not going to enter into an big discussion and this is my last on this subject with you ok.

Firstly I`ve already had an Isuzu pickup,a Ford Ranger and 2 older Hiluxes so certainly wasn`t giving a `blind` opinion on ownership or reliability

Resale ? the Hilux will still get more than the rest scratched or battered

Why sell it ?....not a difficult one that

To buy another :clap:

I am glad you have played the field to find your happy place(Hilux), that is what it is all about, that's what K19NE is thinking about so answer the mans question is the new Hilux better or not? what are the main defining features that make it better than the last. Essay....yip, I thought I would express my opinion and qualify my comments instead of making flippent remarks with zero reasoning. No bee under my bonnet mate it's a 1kz 3.0LTD which has been described as bullet proof but cost me $3.5k. I mean you no malice but I am entitled to have my say, differing opinions, knowledge and experiences are what make forums useful and worth while.

• 5 months later...

Sat nav problems, I have 2012 invincible with touch and go sat nav. Works pretty well all over the uk apart from London. We live in Yorkshire , on 3 separate occasions it has frozen in and around London ( dealer says it needs updating £110 ta). I am doubtful this is the answer. Basically we left our hotel at Windsor for Wembley, it stopped working well short of destination. Next we travelled to excel boat show , again it got lost with several miles to go and finally we stayed at hotel in Luton and set post code for Emirates stadium, didn't even get off m1 before it stopped. Screen background goes grey , distance to go and arrival time disappear. I find it hard to believe this is an update issue. Has anyone else experienced this thanks steve

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links