Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Revs Query

t-spiritpete

A friend of mine has a 2008 Auris 1.6 petrol, he tells me when lifting his foot off the accelerator pedal to change gear the revs rise rapidly before falling again and before it does fall he has changed gear so the gear change is not smooth. He reported this to the Toyota dealer at the last service but they said this is normal with this Auris model, can anyone confirm this is normal as it doesn't seem right to me either. The car is due for its next service soon so he would like some info about it before he speaks to them.

Pete.

The revs do hold, it is all to do with emissions, I doubt they rise rapidly, I currently run a 1.6 Auris and it does it, you do get used to it.

A 2005 Avensis 1.8vvti I once owned did this, as did another one I drove.

Thanks for the replies chaps I guess he will have to live with it.

I don't notice it when changing gear but find it embarrassing when in first gear and stop start driving in traffic.

Move forward a bit, dip clutch and as you lift off throttle the revs "hang" for a second. Pedestrians glare at you because they think you are revving up to make them hurry!

Not myne it just goes down, not instantly but it feels normal.

I remember buying a Volvo 850 T5 estate in 1994 that did the same thing! I did my best to take my foot off the gas early to stop it doing it! But to no avail. In the end I contacted my Volvo dealer and had a chat to the top tech guy who told me it was normal and so I had to live with it! Drove me !Removed! mad! Emission control systems eh!!! :(

• 6 years later...

I’ve had an 05 Corrola and now own an Auris 1.6 SR Valvematic.

Both the Corolla did it and my Auris does it. It’s really irritating and I’ve never experienced this on another car(I’m 58).

I bought both because of Toyota’s reputation for reliability.

I will never buy a Toyota again 🙁

Sorry was feeling a bit grumpy when I wrote that, : )

Although I agree all petrol Auris does it a dirty throttle body can make the things a lot worse. My advice is to get it clean properly with special cleaner spray including the map(maf) sensor, 12v Battery disconnect negative terminal before work commenced and after completed connect and re learn throttle by starting the engine and leave it running for 10 min on idle without any electric accessories ON, heating, radio off, steering wheel should not be turned while engine is running. All that as planned maintenance once in 5 years or 80k miles, it might help reduce this issue too. 👍

As mentioned before, it has something to do with emissions. Also, it makes for a smoother gear change. I personally would like it to rev even harder, it only jumps some 200 rpm's for me.

When i had 1.6 mazda 3,  and when pushed up to over 4k rpm, it would rev significantly more,  and i really enjoyed it.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links