Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rear Brakes Changing Pads Help Required

gaml d4d

Hello

Help required.

Trying to change the rear pads on my 2001 d4d estate.

Does it need a special tool?

I am able to turn the piston with a pair of moles but not push it back in even with a big g clamp (I have undone the bleed screw).

Am I right in assuming you have to push the piston while turning the piston and that the piston is on a normal right hand thread? or I there something else I have forgotten/ don't know. It's my first time changing these pads.

thanks for your help

Graham

I believe you have to push it as well as turn it at the same time if you have a turning type. may i suggest that you open the cap of brake fluid container under your bonnet. This way pushing it back become quite easy as well.

Regards,

Waqar

Repeatedly on these forums we get questions from owners with their brakes partially disassembled and needing help

It cannot be overstated that if you are not experienced and fully confident and competent, then it is better to leave any work on the braking system to a professional mechanic or garage

Working on vital braking systems is dangerous if you are unsure what you are doing

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Problem solved. For those of you who don't know (I didn't), when doing the rear brakes there is a tool you can buy of Amazon for £20 that allows you to push the piston back in while turning it at the same time. Tool was called Universal Brake Caliper Piston Rewind Wind Back

I'd done loads of front brakes and rear shoes before but never rear pads. The tool has loads of attachments that will fit most rear brakes.

Point to note though. When putting the caliper back on make sure the cut out on the piston lines up with the nodule on the back of the pad. Looks like at some point in the past some numpty didn't and messed up the disks! (probably highly paid toyota garage numpty as the previous owner had service book stamped at toyota garage!)

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links