Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Should I Change From A Prius T-Spirit To An Auris Excel?

thecaretaker

My local Toyota dealer has made me an offer on my spotless (under 4 yrs old 30,000 miles) Prius T-Spirit. Apparently, there is a lot of demand for 3/4 year old Prius's (Mainly from Taxi companies).

And he has offered me a deal against a new Auris Hatchback 1.8vv-t hybrid excel 5dr with sat nav.

I've always been happy with my Prius although it can be a bit rattly over bumps and pot holes.

Reading a few online reviews, the Auris hybrid gets between 2 and 3 stars out of 5 and don't get a top write up. But I'm not fully sure they are talking about the very latest versions or are really accurate. One review says it doesn't come with aircon (surely a car at that price does).

I'd welcome a few comments from anyone who either owns or especially if you have gone from a Prius to a Auris.

Are they any noisier than a Prius?

I'm going to pop over for a test drive tomorrow. I hope I won't be disappointed.

For the UK market, all Auris models came with air conditioning from the introduction of the first generation in 2007 - some had manual air con, some climate control.

I bought my Touring Sports a month or so ago, I saw the write ups before I bought it and the stuff written like "it is not a fun car to drive", "the dash presentation is poor" etc etc.

I wasn't looking for a fun car , merely a comfortable car to drive - which it is. Yes, the dash presentation is a little so so but I am getting used to it. There is a bit of noise too but no more than some diesels and I am sure I will get used to it, it is not a problem, just a different noise from other cars. My mpg seems to be improving all the time as the car settles in, 55 mpg on a brim to brim fill this week. One annoying thing is the Sat Nav screen being poor to see as it seems to suffer from reflected light (even with the sky roof closed). Other than that I am more than happy with my new car!

Joe

• Like 1

I own an Avensis T27 Tourer with CVT which is now 4 years old. I have been toying with the idea of switching to the Auris Hybrid when I feel the time is right to change, to that end I have had a good test of the hatchback version of the Auris Hybrid on two occasions now. It is a comfortable car and due to the familiar control systems in Toyotas it didn't take long to get used to driving it. However I did find that the cabin and wind noise was higher than in the Avensis. It's still on the short list though.

We got our Auris Tourer last week. I also read the reviews on what car etc which present it in a poor light. I really like it. We chose the auris over the prius because although It is probably smaller in the rear seats than the prius but has better boot space.

I haven't noticed it being harsh over the bumps and when asked by passers by about the car, we always comment how quite it is to drive.

I have the icon model and it does come with climate control.

• Like 1

You are correct about the Prius being in high demand the dealer sold our Prius before I did the deal on a new car. (I have just P/X my 2011 Prius T Spirit with only 15,000 miles on it for the 2014 Prius model.) I looked at the Auris but I did not like the dash layout i much prefer the Prius with its head up display etc. The boot space on the prius is ideal for us. Our new car has no rattles and we are well pleased with it but we find getting to grips with Touch & Go Sat Nav is not easy. The Auris Tourer is a nice car but my personal preference is the Prius.

Well, I sat in one today. The demonstrator had been taken home by the manager. The guy that made the offer who told me he is there every day except Fridays wasn't in today. Other reps didn't want to steel his sale and didn't want to know. I was prepared to commit today, shame they didn't want to know. I think I'll shop around now (at other Toyota dealerships) to see if anybody is prepared to match or better the deal that was offered. I feel very disappointed with the lack of interest given. Maybe shows flaws in the way these firms make reps rely on commission and sales, I'm sure the owner/manager (like me) at the main dealer doesn't care who makes a sale as long as somebody is selling cars. I feel I've had a wasted journey.

No doubt I shall get a phone call tomorrow, but I think I'll just tell him to forget it.

Sorry, just venting my frustration....

The few seconds I did sit in the Auris, the rear leg room is a lot less than in a Prius. Boot space is smaller (even without a space saver in it). Finish and materials looked better. It looked more solidly put together, less recycled plastic. They are still a lot of money :gora:

I own an Auris, the car is okay, and I would buy another, but why would you want to change your Prius?

You have a car that is still in warranty, it has a low mileage, and you know it's okay, why change it?

Changing cars is always expensive, what are you hoping to achieve by swapping, as far as I can see you will get a smaller car, loss a pile of money, and you may not be as happy with your new purchase?

• Like 1

a new top-of the range Auris Touring Sport with leather/roof/nav etc, is £21400 from www.drivethedeal.com and has a £4 k discount

better to sell your beautiful Prius privately, and get a discounted new price

• Like 1

Hi All,

I've had both Prius's but then changed to the Auris Exel Hybrid, Why, because i was swindled on the warranty, (early Prius buyer) and did not want to pay out for an additional warranty every year. i got a good deal on the part exchange which clinched it for me.

Pros

Panoramic roof.

Much better Ride.

Better Finish and more solid trim.

Much better Satnav.

Better seats more comfortable.

Cons

Instrumentation Poor especially Speedo

No spare, (but haggled with dealer and got one thrown in) but you sacrifice a bit of boot space.

Boot Panel don't lock down.

Head room can be a bit tight (with panam roof)

90% of the time theres only 2 of us so hence why we went for the smaller Auris, all that said would i buy another Toyota? Hmmm our Dealers where i live are all under one group L***********S lol and they own most of the Toyota dealers in a 30 mile radius, Ive family who own Toyotas and the consensus of opinion is that they are not great on customer service, I've drove Toyota for 35 years now and think it might be time to look at other makes as i think Toyota are slipping, Had high hopes for the Lexus but compared to the Prius at the time it was a Backward step, well Hey -Ho lets see what comes out in the next few years. :driving:

• Like 1

My 2011 Prius is due for replacement next year (four year company car), and my current intention is to replace it with an Auris HSD.

Although I could spec the Excel, I'm inclined to go for the new Icon Plus, which includes all the tech I'd want, including nav, but which also benefits from 16" (rather than 17") wheels, which reviews suggest greatly improves the ride.

• 5 weeks later...

Well, after finally getting a test drive, I bought an Auris Hybrid Excel with Panoramic roof. I've had it a couple of weeks now and I'm loving it.

It handles much better than the Prius. It's quieter, no rattles and handles the poor roads better. It is smaller and leg room in the back isn't as good. But the boot with the more upright hatchback is more practical.

I do miss the HUD and takes a bit of getting used to a handbrake again instead of a footbrake. It's more like a traditional car with dials instead of digital speedo.

It feels more solidly built. The doors make a nicer thud when you close them.

SatNav even when I pick fastest route tends to take me off main roads and down some narrow lanes.

I do miss the voice recognition. But then I've got heated front seats and mirrors that close in when I power off.

It's swings and roundabouts, but I am very happy with it. The few missing items are well made up by the ride comfort even with 17" tires.

When (if) we ever get some dry fine days, I'll clean her up and take some photos for the gallery.

Oh, those so called professional Auris car reviews I read are so wrong about this car.

• Like 1

Just to add, I've just booked my new Auris in to have the annoying reversing beeps changed to a single beep (it says is an option in the back of the handbook) so I can hear the parking sensors. My main dealer says it takes 45 minutes, is complex to do and will cost me £52 + VAT. I'm sure I read a post on here somewhere it said some Toyota main dealers will do it for free or at worst £15.

I shall name and shame St. Leonards motors Toyota (in St. Leonards-on-Sea) but unless somebody on here can do it for less reasonably local to me, I'm just gonna have to cough up :dontgetit:

Mine did it for free.

When I was buying the car I asked if it could be switched off and they said yes (well, to a single beep which I don't mind). When I collected the new car they'd forgotten to do it, said hold on, whipped the car round the back and came back about 10 minutes later with them switched off.

Complex job? lol, that would be a no.

Absolutely - mine was free too, and they did remember before I took delivery - it's just a case of plugging in the Toyota hand held diagnostic computer to the On Board Diagnostic connector in the dash and finding the item on the menu!

Mine was free too, Just another example of Dealerships not knowing about the vehicles they maintain. Thats why i like this forum, Pity the Dealerships don't subscribe!

At my first service ( which I had negotiated was free when I bought the car). I requested if they could change the reversing bleeps to just one beep for free, and it was done without any problems.

Or just get them to include it in the next service FOC, they'll be plugging in computers for that anyway, so a few extra clicks on a computer mouse at the same time do disable the beeps isn't going to cost them any more.

I'll suggest that. I'll also ring a few other main dealers to see what they are prepared to charge.

Mine was free too, Just another example of Dealerships not knowing about the vehicles they maintain. Thats why i like this forum, Pity the Dealerships don't subscribe!

One or two do, but then they're probably the good dealers with an active interest.

Well, just to update you, I had the reversing beeps changed today at the Eastbourne Toyota dealer. Free of charge, took less time than I had to drink a free cup of coffee they gave me.

To be fair, when I cancelled my booking at my local Toyota, they wanted to know why I was cancelling the booking, so I told them it was the £52+VAT and they did offer to do it for free this afternoon. But I chose to keep the free booking I'd made in Eastbourne.

Me totally happy bunny now :-)

Wonder if anyone just accepted it and paid up...

• Like 1

Wonder if anyone just accepted it and paid up...

Exactly.

"Yeah we'll do it for free now we've been caught out". Hmmm, and if you're going to try and lift my leg this time, when you going to try and do it again?

Suggest an email to Toyota HQ drawing their attention to the matter. Toyota dealers are usually fine and friendly, but this one sounds like they need bringing into line.

• Like 1

I'm almost certainly going to replace my 2011 Prius T Spirit with an Auris Excel in the new year. Or maybe the Icon Plus, if for no other reason than 16" wheels.

The build quality of the Prius has been a disappointment. It will be nice to be back into a car that doesn't rattle like a tea tray full of crockery.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links