Do Not Sell My Personal Information

D4D Head Gasket

cat3

Hi, new guy here.

Just wanted to share my head gasket story. I bought a 2008 Avensis with the D4D 2.2 engine. Car had about 76000km and was in pretty nice shape.

It was a quick sale and I really didn't research the head gasket issue....

After a month or so, I noticed the coolant level was low. A bit of research on the web and I figured that I had a bad head gasket.

Took the car into the local Toyota dealer (I am in Germany). They checked it out and said no issues with the head gasket and go ahead and drive the car.

We went on a road trip and about a 1000km from home, started to see the dreaded splatter marks on the engine cover. A quick stop at a Toyota dealer

(outside of Germany) basically confirmed a bad gasket. They wouldn't cover the repair under warranty but advised that we would be OK to drive home. Bought a 5 liter jug of coolant and started home.

Used 4 liters but made it home!

Local Toyota dealer confirmed a failed head gasket and after a bit of research, WILL replace engine under warranty. All labor and the replacement engine at no cost to me.

The only cost might be if they find any issues with bits and pieces that they have to transfer over but only parts cost, no labor!

I am VERY impressed that Toyota is covering this repair on a 2008 car and after several owners. Car goes in tomorrow afternoon and I should have it back by the end of the week.

Again, I am VERY impressed with Toyota and their customer service.

• Like 2

Hello AJ - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

Good result.

The car is back! Picked it up this afternoon and all is well. Toyota recommended replacing the radiator. They said it would last about another year so it was up to me. Told them to do it now so I don't have to worry about it.

That was the only part that I had to buy. They did an excellent job and Toyota even detailed the engine bay. The entire under hood area looks brand new.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

nice, but they know they flucked it up on the design,not a big deal if you didn't have to take engine out,after five years you will be screwed,i'll never buy another toyota after owning a t27 avensis,they are really low rent crap

imo, no.

Is it perfect? Again, no but what is?