Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2002 Avensis 1.8 Vvti – Rear Wiper Motor – Sealant / Lubricant

wombling

Hi again Guys

Back in January my wiper motor suffered the notorious ‘permanently on intermittent’ syndrome, from which it later recovered after, a spell of dry weather.

Unfortunately it has now failed to operate at all, and will require the strip and repair treatment,

as kindly detailed by members responding to my previous posts.

As a rank amateur, I would appreciate some advice on the following……

1. Which sealant/lubricant to use on the spindle and the bodywork grommet?

2. Which grease to use inside the motor unit?

I have had “Carlube LM2” mentioned to me, but have no idea whether or not this is suitable.

Your kind advice and recommendations will be appreciated

I would strongly advised to re new the rubber grommet- after I cleaned mine it was still playing up- once I changed the grommet, its not played up since- it cost around £4 from Toyota- worth buying.

LM2 is multi purpose grease it should be fine.

• Like 1

I thank you for the prompt reply, and have ordered the suggested grommet.

Now for the silly question........

Can you please tell me what type of 'screwdriver' is required to remove the cover plate from the motor assembly?

I cannot locate anything in my amateur toolbox which will fit!

Grateful for your continued assistance.

My motor is exactly the same as the one in your pic, and I will now obtain a set of torx bits, as you suggested.

Many thanks

Derek

• Like 1

Great stuff, let me know how you get on, don't forget to put some grease on the spindle to stop the water running down it into the motor.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your continuing interest..

I have now removed and opened the unit, to find a mess of old grease and a rust-seized drive to the wiper arm shaft, which I have managed to free-off with WD40. I was surprised to note that the shaft itself was completely rust-free, although the 'o-ring' seal at the top end of the shaft was a very loose fit.

Sadly, I have now hit a major problem, in that I am unable to extract the orange plastic control wheel from the unit!

Having read the article on the 'Workshop Forum' i was under the impression that this wheel could be easily lifted from its axle, using a needle-nosed pliers, but in my case it will not budge, even with an overnight application of WD40, and the persuasion of a large pair of pincers!

Please confirm that i'm not missing a point somewhere. Any further advice or suggestions would be welcomed.

New Topic Posted -

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/163947-2002-avensis-rear-wiper-motor-plastic-control-wheel/