Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aygo Gearbox Problem

shan786

i have 2012 aygo fire m/m gear box the has has done 20000 miles and serviced by toyota the clutch stared sliping took it to toyota and was told it wear and tear can any body explain to me plz how can a clutch slip after 20000 miles or is it common problem with the gear box thanks

My wifes ex-Peugeot 107 2tronic had the same problem but at 34K miles. Had to have a new one. However my previous Aygo Go MMT had no issues whilst I had it and it lived a harder life than the average city car.

I HEARD ITS A COMMON PROBLEM WITH THEM AND TOYOTA KNOWS ABOUT IT BUT THE GARAGE WOULDNT ADMIT IT SO I AM TAKE IT BACK WHERE I BOUGHT IT FROM LETS C WHAT THEY HAVE TO SAY THANKS FOR UR ADVISE

Mod edit - shouting.

Peugeot wouldn't replace under warranty. When I mentioned it to my local Toyota dealer the problems we had with the 107 they said it would be covered by the warranty as in their view it would be abnormal wear and tear, especially being an automatic as the driver has no control over the clutch as you would in a manual. However it was just a quick conversation with the service assistant and might be different if I actually had to pursue the issue.

Presumably the clutch has been tested under load for slipping

The clutch on the MMT box wears and the take up adjuster fails to work necessitating the box to be reset.

The usual signs are total lack of creep when put in forward or reverse. Clutch failing to engage and the drive coming in with a lurch.

Changing down to lower gears with a bang and generally rough moving away.

Low mileage for a clutch to wear out but leaving it in gear at lights etc will precipitate wear as the clutch should be partially engaged.

The clutch on the MMT box wears and the take up adjuster fails to work necessitating the box to be reset.

The usual signs are total lack of creep when put in forward or reverse. Clutch failing to engage and the drive coming in with a lurch.

Low mileage for a clutch to wear out but leaving it in gear at lights etc will precipitate wear as the clutch should be partially engaged.

i agree with geriatric

the mmt is not a normal auto box so if you leave it in gear at traffic lights or whenever you stop then in effect you are slipping the clutch

and wearing it out QUICKLY ,this happened to our 09 plate mmt aygo(bought 2nd hand) the clutch started to slip after 32000 miles and it was going to cost

in the region of £700 to replace it at toyota,so instead i bought a 14 plate aygo for kath but you still aren't advised by the

sales staff that you shouldn't leave the car in gear when stopped as this will cause premature failure of the clutch.

when we approach traffic lights where we know we will stop we put the car straight into neutral this saves the car changing down 4 gears

and using the clutch 4 times un necessarily.

Due to the way the MM gearbox is given its mechanical/electrical working, it would be easy for the clutch to start to slip,example... on slow moving traffic up hill.

I had this last year, stuck in traffic on an incline that needed the handbrake for each pull away, I could hear the engine revs as the clutch kicked in, I ended up turning around and taking a different route.

i agree with geriatric

the mmt is not a normal auto box so if you leave it in gear at traffic lights or whenever you stop then in effect you are slipping the clutch

and wearing it out QUICKLY ,this happened to our 09 plate mmt aygo(bought 2nd hand) the clutch started to slip after 32000 miles and it was going to cost

in the region of £700 to replace it at toyota,so instead i bought a 14 plate aygo for kath but you still aren't advised by the

sales staff that you shouldn't leave the car in gear when stopped as this will cause premature failure of the clutch.

when we approach traffic lights where we know we will stop we put the car straight into neutral this saves the car changing down 4 gears

and using the clutch 4 times un necessarily.

But that's coasting which is dangerous as you have no effective steering or braking.

I'm not too anal about slipping my MMT aygo into neutral at lights, only when stopped for more than two mins for example on roadwork traffic lights or waiting to pick someone up and they're ready in five mins or less.

• Like 1

extract from the net

you need to leave putting the clutch down to as late as possible, the
engine helps you to slow down. if you stop at traffic lights then the
car needs to be in neutral until your ready (lights change) to put it in
first.

this is what we do but only when we are about 5 metres away from the lights

i dont mean 1/2 a mile down the road if we see the lights change to red,

the mmt has a brain that doesn't work it always changes gear at the wrong time

but i suppose you have to put up with this since its not a proper auto box and

the system has its quirks.

i drive a lexus hybrid and when slowing down for red traffic lights i wont be using

the engine as it will be off and no Battery power will be going to the front wheels

as the batteries will be charging so is this wrong as its probably classed as

coasting with no power being used to help slow the vehicle just the brakes.