Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fuel Gauge Problem

mo1100

Hi, we just picked up our first corolla, a 1994 1.3 xli liftback. The car has a few small issues which need tackling. Most important thing is the fuel gauge. When we bought it the needle was showing 1/4 full, we filled up and the needle went to the top. Then it got stuck at around 3/4 full and stayed there until today when I put in some petrol and it went back to the top. We definitely used most of the tank in between fills.
When I take the key out of the ignition the fuel needle stays where it was but the temp needle drops. I tried removing the fuse for the gauges but the needle didn't move. I also removed the gauge cluster and unplugged the connector at the back of the fuel gauge side but the needle stayed where it was.
Any ideas on what's causing this?
Thanks in advance!

Faulty Gauge possibly. If you can get access to the sender, and run it up and down manually, to see if the the gauge rises and falls.

The sender should be attached to the pump assembly under the rear seat, under an inspection cover.

Thanks for the reply, I'll check that out tomorrow. If that does nothing to the needle will I have to replace the whole gauge cluster?

You should be able to just get the gauge possibly. Might be easier to change the cluster.

You can check the functionality of the sender using a multimeter on ohms setting.

I do know that the fuel gauge in these cars is meant to stay where it last was when you take the key out. Mine has always done it.

So, in that respect yours is doing as it should - you will probably notice that when you fill it right up the needle will stay at the full mark also.

However, why it isn't dropping below 3/4 could be a faulty sender unit in the tank or dirt/dust contamination on the needle shaft causing it to stick.

My Battery level needle was sticking a while back and managed to fix it by removing the cluster from the car and squirting a contact cleaner onto the needle shaft and *carefully* moving the needle up and down. Repeat this a few times and you should flush away any contamination. Ideally use a contact cleaner without any lubricant (e.g. IPA) as this will prevent future dust collection.

Thanks for that, I'll hopefully get time over the weekend to investigate it. I'll let you know what it turned out to be!

• 8 years later...

I have a 2022 Toyota Corolla Cross  and my fuel Gauge will no move if I fill up the tank when the vehicle is at 3/4 full. Somtimes it will move after a few days of driving. When the car is at a 1/2 tank or less the gauge will work Properly and go to full. I took it to the dealer and they said the fuel need to see a preset amount of Fuel. They said its a computer set up. My answer is if the car is full no matter what level the gas is in the tank it should read it.