Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Power Steering Prob

toylexus

My ps has stopped several times so I disconnected the wires going into the box on the dash and have gained a year from it, the fault has appeared again and disconnecting the wires hasn't made any difference.

can I replace the control box with second hand or does it need to be new?.

Any help greatly appreciated

Hi, I replaced the one on mine recently a few months back. You can use one from a wrecked car without problems or a rebuilt one since they also do it. I found one from a wrecked car pretty cheap. I think it's cheaper then rebuilt or new ones. New ones are around 500€ and rebuilt 250€. Wrecked cars can also go for around 200€. Mine was 100€ because I bought it from a private owner and not a salvage yard. Off course I'm giving you prices for Portugal no idea where you are from so prices may be different. Also you should take it to a shop for assembly. I'm not 100% sure but I think they reprogrammed the ECU with the data from mine. Anyway it is something that will take lots of time they have to take out all the dashboard, etc.. in my opinion it's not something for us to do at home.

One thing you have to be carefull is that the ECU you get has exactly the same number. The shop that mounted mine told me to ensure this otherwise it may not work or error lights may lit up in the dashboard. There are lots of ECU models even for the Auris there is more then 1. I remember seeing one on eBay that only one digit was different. The seller was not sure if was compatible or not told me to check with Toyota. But I got one locally for the same price so....

Good luck replacing that, unfortenatly it is one of those parts that gives problems in the Auris from what I could find on the net. It is not good for Toyota's name or the Japanese since mine was a Denso, made in japan. Many people have pointed that an Auris made in Japan would have more quality than our UK and Turkey ones but I seriously doubt it. This car was designed in Europe and most of the non mechanical problems are due to a bad design. Plus the steering ECU is made in japan and gives problems.

Hi, I replaced the one on mine recently a few months back. You can use one from a wrecked car without problems or a rebuilt one since they also do it. I found one from a wrecked car pretty cheap. I think it's cheaper then rebuilt or new ones. New ones are around 500€ and rebuilt 250€. Wrecked cars can also go for around 200€. Mine was 100€ because I bought it from a private owner and not a salvage yard. Off course I'm giving you prices for Portugal no idea where you are from so prices may be different. Also you should take it to a shop for assembly. I'm not 100% sure but I think they reprogrammed the ECU with the data from mine. Anyway it is something that will take lots of time they have to take out all the dashboard, etc.. in my opinion it's not something for us to do at home.

One thing you have to be carefull is that the ECU you get has exactly the same number. The shop that mounted mine told me to ensure this otherwise it may not work or error lights may lit up in the dashboard. There are lots of ECU models even for the Auris there is more then 1. I remember seeing one on ebay that only one digit was different. The seller was not sure if was compatible or not told me to check with Toyota. But I got one locally for the same price so....

Good luck replacing that, unfortenatly it is one of those parts that gives problems in the Auris from what I could find on the net. It is not good for Toyota's name or the Japanese since mine was a Denso, made in japan. Many people have pointed that an Auris made in Japan would have more quality than our UK and Turkey ones but I seriously doubt it. This car was designed in Europe and most of the non mechanical problems are due to a bad design. Plus the steering ECU is made in japan and gives problems.

Thanks grippen for that very informative answer. Can I get it out without removing the dash, couldn't be in a more awkward place.

Just had to replace my power steering ECU a few months back. Cost me £650, Toyota fitted it.....

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links