Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Door Weather Strip Broken Or Vandalised?

Brillo

Hi All, My lease car is a Toyota Avensis D4D 2.0 TR. It's nearly 2 years old & the outside off side front door weather strip has broken away at one end. I put it down to being vandalised but I asked my boss what he thought & found it strange that anyone would vandalise it where people walk round & was in full view. There is no other damage. It looks like the glue fixing has broken away. I took it to the dealer & he thought it was vandalised. It's not bent it looks like the glue fixing has cracked so when the window goes up the weather strip goes up slightly. I could glue it which would save £117. The window is hardly used except when going into car parks for tickets. It's under pressure so will have to clamp it slightly when gluing. It looks normal when pushed down hard. Has anyone else had problems with door weather strips breaking at the end?
Regards....Brillo

I had the same on the n/s/f window on a 59 plate TR. There was no sign of vandalism either but it might've been like that when I bought it, and I also sold it without fixing it.

• 2 years later...

Hi, reviving this old thread, rather than starting a new one.

I have 2 faulty weather strips on my TR, a front door one and a rear door one. They have sprung up at the ends. I'm aiming at repairing rather than replacing.

Could someone explain how they are fixed, (adhesive, clips)? Or give me an idea on the install/removal procedure.

Cheers

I found this website when hunting around for info on the weather strip. Didn't find anything on my issue but i found a ton of Toyota Avensis Acessory Installation Manuals.

Maybe they were common knowledge, but here they are anyway.

http://www.toyota-tech.eu/Aim/Aim.aspx?pubtype=AIM&menuitem=3

Anyone got any tips on my issue.

Cheers

• 2 years later...

Hi, I've got a similar issue of it popping up, did you ever get any joy at repairing them?

(digging up this old thread again, but still relevant)

Thanks

• 2 years later...

I started a new thread about this same issue a few days ago no replies so far so it might not be a common problem but thought I would give this thread a bump.  Only thing I can think of to repair is superglue and to clamp it down somehow.  Would be useful to know if these are glued down at the factory originally and its just over time its give up or if something has actually broken🤔

Can you post a photo of where it's broken. I think I've seen something similar, but want to make sure I'm talking about the right thing before I comment.

I can push it down but it starts coming away again in a day or so, its started to happen on one of the back windows too

Trim.jpg

Saw the previous thread, and couldn't help there. This isn't the same issue I was thinking of. 

Apart from cleaning the area with spirits and using an automotive grade double sided tape, there's not much more I can suggest.

Perhaps something along the lines of this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283015328771?hash=item41e5073403:g:yNgAAOSwm4NbKSTo&var=583376230650

• Like 1

Thanks double sided tape that's a good idea, less mess than superglue too, I think these are the only options apart from replacing the strip.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

A toyota tec refitted the strip for me free of charge, he bent the plastic prongs back and it seems to be holding.  He didn't have any double sided tape that was thin enough as its very tight but that was the only other option he thought of without replacing the entire strip.  I will see how his repair does, its been okay for a few weeks anyway.

• Like 1

Good to hear it's resolved - for now