Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Comparing New With Old

cumbrialass

I ve just bought a new Icon, AWD 2 l Diesel. I thought it would be similar to the 03 Rav I ve driven for the last 8 years but at the moment it feels really different. Is it just because it is diesel? I ve always driven petrol. Obviously the engine sounds different and the rev count is different too, even the clutch pedal.

Where I confidently drove up steep rough tracks in the old Rav I feel nervous about doing it on the new one.

Can I drive it the same way? Is there differences I need to be aware of? I know it is just a matter of time but any useful comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi Kath,

Your post sums up my experience ( Read post of last week, and its good bye from him). I to had only petrol Rav4 models and bought an invincible diesel. All the luxury I wanted but just could not get on with the vehicle, after 18 monthe traded it in.

Now I dont want to appear totally negative because my wife found it fine but she has her own car but prefered the Rav. She also enjoyed the torque the engine produced.

Personnaly I did not want the new Rav to be as physically large as it is, I thought I would adjust but I didn't. To be honest I didn't rate the 2.2 diesel engine but thats just my rating on it.

So I can sympathise with you but I would recommend you stick with the car and leave your reassessment till the spring, hopefully you will have become more accustomed to the car.

You have bought a fine car, thats well made and will provide years of safe motoring. But for me it fell short of the mark and I took the option to change it.

Only you can decide if the Rav stays.

Regards Steve.

Hi Steve, Many thanks for the reply. As you say I need some time to really assess it, especially how it performs over winter. The extra boot space is what we wanted but the extra width and length means I need to take more care driving through our gate! Early days yet. The clutch pedal is different but I am gradually getting used to it. It is certainly a contrast to my much loved Celica .... which I will not part with.

You've made quite a big change in one go so it may take some getting used to ...

I switched from petrol to diesel engines some 14 years ago. I prefer the improved torque and acceleration of a diesel and the fact that it delivers performance lower down the rev range. Perhaps petrol engines have improved over the last 14 years but I'd be reluctant to switch back now.

You've also gone from a 4.2 to a 4.4 which is quite a big change in character and refinement. Last year I swapped from a 4.3 (SR180) to a 4.4 (Icon auto). Earlier RAVs had more character - they were more focused on recreation and activity; later RAVs have become increasing more refined and car-like and the 4.4 is the latest stage in that evolution. Whether that suits you, only you can decide.

I'm pretty sure that you new RAV will go up (or down) slopes steeper that the old one would cope with - it's worth noting that the engine will take 5,000 - 10,000 miles to feel properly run-in, and in that time you will have become much more used to its driving characteristics too.

However, I'd be mindful that the ground clearance of the 4.4 is somewhat less than its predecessors and it's better suited to on-road than off-road use. If by "rough tracks" you mean anything deeply rutted or rock strewn I'd be wary ...

All that said, after a year and 15,000 miles in my Icon I wouldn't swap it for anything at that price ... :D

Thanks Philip for the reassurance. It is nice to find someone who likes the Icon.

As you say, it is a lot different to the previous Rav... I got the manual rather than the automatic, having driven manual for over 25 years and never driven auto, I thought it would be more in my 'comfort zone' . So far I have only driven 420 miles in it so its definitely in the 'running in' stage lol I don't plan to drive it over bad terrain, but we do field archery and that means driving and parking in fields and up forest tracks rather than anything that would be more suited to a farmer's Landrover. But living in the lake district I need something that can get me up winding lanes and hills.

The worse track will be in our Club's woods which is a bit steep but with only one sharp gradient and a bit of a sharp turn to add to the fun. First time last week I managed ok, 2nd attempt I stalled it.... but no problem with my hill start! 3rd attempt tomorrow....

So first thoughts, comparing this Rav to the previous. The steering feels less light which feels better, the pedals seem more sensitive... time, practice and the right shoes will help! The engine is quieter and has good acceleration.

:)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links