Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Peeling Paint On Plastic Front Bumper

bobkneale

I have a few areas appearing on my IQ front bumper (Silver color) the paint is peeling off the bumper, I think it starts with a stone chip then the paint peels off in strips about and inch long and about one eighth of and inch wide. there are about 4 of these now !

Anyone else have this problem ?

What colour is under the paint when it peels?

I would say this is a bumper that has been resprayed in the past, not factory paint.

Craig.

IT certainly doesn't sound like a factory paint job. I have had both corners scrubbed by idiots in a car park now and where the paint has been rubbed off down to the bare plastic, the edges haven't shown any signs of peeling.

Under Silver paint that has peeled is the grey plastic bumper, I recon its peeling when I take my car to the jet wash !

Never, ever, ever jet wash your car if you value your cars paint.

At first I thought flaking paint on your bumper was a ropey repair, but then when I read you jet wash the car I knew that was the problem. The high powered jet will find a way in through the tiniest stone chip and whip off a chunk of paint. Paint on plastic has never been a great idea, but jet washing doesn't help.

I used to use a jet wash but there are many negatives to doing so, one of which is stripping off paint. The next is stripping off any lubricant on brakes etc. Seriously, avoid jet washes like the plague. They're great once in a while but usually do much more hard than good. Save yourself a drive and get out a bucket and sponge. And let's face it, with the IQ a hand wash takes 10 minutes from start to finish.

Pictures.... or it aint so... ;-)

Allways jetwash and brush... never a problem.

Got a nasty corner scrubbed by running over nextdoorneighbor's flower-bin... not retouched it, only a little touch-up paint but that fell off...

Years ago... no peeling .. but underneath it is black plastic...

You can see the black plastic and on the upper-right are some scratches ...

And yes ... the black-carbon-look-wrapping... has gone away (did not like it any more)... and even the pulling off of this very sticky wrap-stuff did nothing to the paint...

DSC_0987_zps0f39a12b.jpg

• Like 1

I too have used jet washes on many vehicles in the past and never touched the paint. Only where it was already dodgy or corroded on my Range Rover.

The Toyota paint on plastic does seem to be a one stage process. I have a few chips on my bumper and no trace of primers underneath it. I still think this is a repaint in the past that wasn't done to the best of the painters ability.

Can you post a picture of the peeling areas?

Craig.

• Like 1

I will take some photo's tommorow and post them, re Jet washes I am aware they are quite aggressive, I have used them for years, and never had this problem before, if the paint adhesion is slightly lacking then a slight chip can cause a strip of paint to come off, that is what has happened to me, yet only on the plastic bumper nowhere else, so adhesion to plastic is less than on std metal bodywork.

I have also had plastic parts on other cars in the past and never had this problem so I suspect a incorrect paint job in the past. perhaps the bumper was resprayed before I got my IQ ?

"Thank You" to those of you who have responded to my post !

• Like 1

If it is grey under the paint then it sounds like it has had a repair. On both instances of my damages it has just been black plastic underneath. Not sure what colour the plasticiser coat is to be honest. Just wondering if whoever did do a repair on yours used a std primer?

• Like 1

Yep...looks like a repainted area... (no black under the paint)...

And thanks for the pics Bob...

The fact that it peels off says to me it's been resprayed at some point and not very well. Maybe an incorrect primer. Even if there is a stone chip a jet wash won't make it peel off if it's good paint. I had some extra plasticiser put in some arches I had on an old car and you could practically bend them in half and the paint stuck fast. If the prep is good there shouldn't be any issue and I'm sure the factory doesn't do it incorrectly, so my money would say they have been sprayed at some point. When I machine polish customers cars you have to go easy on bumpers as the plastic/paint heats up a lot quicker than on metal and can bubble. A good job shouldn't have any issues with a pressure washer and anything above point blank is ok. You can stand right in front of one after a few inches and it's just mist.unfortunately it's going to need a respray to sort that, and be prepped correctly.

• Like 2

Thanks very much to all members that have responded to my post.

Looks like my bumper has been replaced or incorrectly resprayed before I got the car, I did not know, and now face the decision to spend on a respray ?

As I intend to keep my IQ for quite a while I will leave it and re consider the bumper respray if if choose to sell in future.

• Like 1

Are not the "bumper warts" (the separate pieces attached to the bumpers on all four corners of the car) intended for relatively easy replacement under situations such as this? Try as I may, I cannot come up with any other reason for their inclusion.

Inquiring minds want to know...

The lumps on the corners of the bumper are not removable, They are part of the same plastic moulding as the front and rear bumper.

Craig.

• Like 1

I'd wondered if those bumper corners were removable, and now I know they're not. Thanks!

Chris

2012 iQ² with red leather upholstery ☆ upgraded interior lighting ☆ white backlit dashboard/switches ☆ auto-folding mirrors ☆ keyless entry ☆ chrome exhaust ☆

They do sell these (way overpriced) carbon-look plastic covers... not from Toyo..

But I did think Toyota also sells some sort of covering.

I had put some carbon-wrap over them... but that gets bad...

This is it: http://www.marktnet.nl/auto-onderdelen/onderdelen-toyota/toyota-iq-bumper-corner-covers-carbon-look-15991011.htm