Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Corolla Verso Model

roger.searle

Have just enroled in your TOC forum.

I am working for a British company and resident in the Netherlands and have just ordered a new Corolla Verso - UK T3 version with MMA (Multi mode Automatic) transmission and full screen nav.

Has anybody over there in blighty beaten me to the same model and has any experiences to tell?

rgds,

Roger Searle

roger.searle@exel.com

• 3 weeks later...
Have just enroled in your TOC forum.

...have just ordered a new Corolla Verso - UK T3 version with MMA (Multi mode Automatic) transmission and full screen nav.

Has anybody over there in blighty beaten me to the same model and has any experiences to tell?

Hello Roger,

I too am very interested in the new Corolla Verso but as yet have not been able to arrange a test drive so am not able to offer any first hand experiences.

But I have scoured the Internet for reviews and reports are disappointingly consistent in describing the low speed ride as harsh, the engines all grossly underpowered and the MMT transmittion 'jerky'.

Did you test drive before you ordered? I'd be interested to hear if you had the same findings in practice, and even more interested to hear how you get on with it when it arrives. Presumably yours will have the 1.8 litre engine? When are you due to take delivery?

Just received mine on Monday, and I'm very happy. Took it round some corners really fast to test the stability control, and was amazed when the car started to get out of shape, then just jinked back on track. Then I read the bit in the manual about not thrashing it for the first thousand miles. Oh well!

Brakes are staggering, as you'd expect with four discs.

I have the T3 manual, and all the gizmos are great too. The auto-dipping rear-view mirror just works. The rain sensing wipers just work. The cruise control just works. Climate control means you don't have to even think about the temperature. All you have to do is point and occasionally apply the brake.

I'm getting over 46mpg.

The only (slight) negatives I can see so far are:

1. It doesn't handle as well as the Ford CMAX, but then it's substantially bigger, safer, and cheaper to insure.
  2. The black interior gets a bit hot in the sun (but then you have the climate control...)
  3. The throttle (on my diesel) is a little tame - you have to press hard to get the engine to take off. Fun when it does, though.
  4. The back row seats are only for children. Adults need to be gymasts to even get in to them.

I'm taking it to the Lake District this weekend, and I'm really looking forward to it.

Rupert.

• 1 month later...

I have recently bought the new Verso Tspirit diesel. Its a great looking MPV and initially appears to be well built. However, I have noticed some minor quality issues such as the seat belt height adjustment jamming and the lid to the dash storage not closing properly. However, my main concern is the clutch which make a coubik sound when changing gears. I wonder if anyone else has experienced this problem? I am disapointed that I will be visiting the garage after only two weeks of ownership.

Karl.

to:

MYOYA

RMC

Karl TC

Have been unable to reach you it appears as an overseas member I cannot responde to your posted comments which were very intersting indeed.

roger.searle@exel.com

MYOTA

Have been unable to reach you it appears as an overseas member I cannot responde to your posted comments which were very intersting indeed.

roger.searle@exel.com

Roger,

I have recently registered so not yet familiar with the system.

How are you getting on with your new Verso?

Karl.

After more than a month driving the car, I thought I'd give you an update on my Corolla Verso.

For:

• Fantastic quality throughout. Fittings are superb, build is very solid.
  • Gadgets are excellent value on my T3 model. I've been spoiled by the cruise control, auto wipers, auto dipping mirror, auto air, and now I feel like my Yaris is very primitive.
  • Very good fuel economy from the diesel, and reasonable power.
  • Leans a bit in the corners, but still goes round them very fast and safely, especially with the stability control on.
  • Superb versatility. Fits masses of luggage, and with the seats down took a whole garden shed of junk to the tip in one go. Seven seats.
  • Tough. I managed to run the front into a stationary object (my first ever time, would you believe), and while the bumped lost a small patch of top-coat, it didn't deform at all, so it should be easy to touch up. I did swear some, though.
  • Feels very safe and solid. I know it's safe, because it scored five stars in eruo-ncap.

Against:

• Last row of seats is only for children, but does have full seat belts.
  • Engine could do with just a bit more power. It's not bad, but the car is quite large, and could do with a little more thrust. I know Toyota is hot on the environment, but they could do with a bigger engine at the top of the range.
  • Suspension is a little hard at speeds below 30mph. I think they've done this to reduce lean in the corners. Having said that, a bit bumpy is much better than too much lean if you want to avoid car sickness from the children.
  • Turning circle is not great. But then I am comparing to my Yaris, which is incredible. I found a couple of country-lane corners in the Lake District that I had to take two goes at.

All in all, I'm very pleased with the car. I bought it to carry the family, and it does it very well, and with some style.

I mentioned in my previous post that I was worried the black interior would get hot. It doesn't seem to be a problem.

By the way, with the Euro-NCAP, it's worth taking a look at the web site yourself. They have diagrams showing the loads on various parts of the crash test dummies, colour coded from green to red. The Corolla Verso did very, very well. Some other cars in the class seem to have been given the fifth star based on the addition of audible seat-belt warnings. This car seems to have earnt the fifth star on its crash results alone. That's my reading of it, anyway.

Rupert.

Rupert,

Your very detailed response was indeed greatly appreciated.

I have not yet received my new Verso which I ordered on the 3rd of May. The version I have ordered is the 1.8 vvt with MMA and full screen navigation etc etc.

I ordered it on May 3rd and have a delivery date of August 27th which seems to be forever. I guess this particular model is either in short supply or great demand.

Have had a test drive and found that the MMA took a bit of getting used to but in the traffic jams over here in Holland it seemed at sensible thing to go for. I too have selected the Verso a) because of the versatility for the family and carrying capacity and B) because its good looks!

In the past I have had two Renault Scenics which met our needs but do not like the current model especially the back end.

Hope you receive this via the notice board. Just in case I shall send it to you via mail as I am not at all certain how this system works!

Roger Searle

In the past I have had two Renault Scenics which met our needs but do not like the current model especially the back end.

Yes, I agree about the new Scenic. We considered them, but hated the styling. Also I didn't really fit - long legs, and there is a bit of console next to the steering column I found very uncomfortable.

Rupert.

• 2 weeks later...

:thumbsup: Hi guys have had my little verso( fed up with people saying it is BIG!!) for about a week now used to have a Yaris T-Sport ( great Car ) but after test driving the verso i fell for all the extra buttons :) mad button pusher u see the kid like it alot big fights over the boot chairs :D but all in all very happy

ps only question does any one get a lot of vibration in the steering wheel at speeds above 70mph if so thats good if not i think the tracking may be out

pps not all the reports on the web are about the New Verso they talk about the old model as i read i few and couldnt beleive what the where saying but have found nothing but good ones now :thumbsup:

ps only question does any one get a lot of vibration in the steering wheel at speeds above 70mph if so thats good if not i think the tracking may be out

:

No vibration at all on mine. Sounds like you need to have the wheels balanced.

Rupert.

Hi guys

Have just heard that mine is on the boat underway from Turkey :thumbsup:

Dealer tells me that I should be able to take delivery on August 30th :) perhaps I can then make some sensible contributions to the discussions.

Hi Guys - acemiko, interesting to hear that you experience vibration through the steering wheel at 70 mph.

I also experience a slight vibration but have not had it checked yet. Have you had yours checked since your post ?

Apart from that the car has been amazing, I bought the T3 1.8 manual in Black and have had it for 2 months now. Recently got all the windows from the B pillar back tinted to prevent my kids from getting direct sunlight when in their car seats. It's made a big improvement and makes the car look even better.

:thumbsup:

Cheers

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All

My fist post whilst looking for info on the Verso. Expecting my TSpirit with Sat Nav Co Car next week (although was supposed to be Oct if I had stuck with the Ixion Blue!). Interested to read your comments and pleased to see nothing really negative. I'm looking forward to the DVD headsets, no more Rap, Eminem etc unless through the headphones.... got to be worth £2k on its own.

Has anyone out there yet found out how to put a games console on to the DVD system?

Tnaks

Travellingman

Hi Guys,

At last and finally I have now taken delivery of my Corrola Verso complete with MMT and Full Map nav :rolleyes: .

The car is top quality in everyway comfortable and very roomy indeed the airco works a treat too :thumbsup: !

The auto transmission with manual sequential takes some getting used to but after 3 days I'm getting there. The trick is to lift your foot slightly just before the change takes place if you can of course hear it in the first place.

Over here in Holland the selection of wheels was pretty poor so I had some very nice alloys fitted which immensly enhances the look of the car instead of the rather dreary run of the mill plastic wheel covers.

Hope to take it down to Spain in the next two weeks for a run if the SatNav can find the way for me!

Regards,

Roger Searle, alias Peanuts.

Hi Guys,

At last and finally I have now taken delivery of my Corrola Verso complete with MMT and Full Map nav :rolleyes: .

The car is top quality in everyway comfortable and very roomy indeed the airco works a treat too :thumbsup: !

Roger,

Great to hear you are enjoying the car, after such a long wait to get it.

I had an American friend to stay recently, and he was astounded at the fuel economy given the "feel" of the car. They like solid feeling cars over there, but normally that translates to heavy and poor fuel economy. With the current price of oil, this is really starting to hurt. It's still ridiculously cheap over there, but has gone up enough to make people think. So it looks like Toyota might have timed it right to get a good market in the US.

Rupert.

I too have just taken delivery of a T3 Corolla Verso and love it. I am particulary impressed with the turn-by-turn sat-nav and its traffic avoidance. This weekend it re-reouted me off of the M25 and onto the A25 as the M25 had ground to a halt in that area.

The best bit was knowing that my brother, who had scoffed at the idea of me getting Sat-Nav ("why do you need sat-nav when you can by a road atlas?") was stuck in the jam and arrived home hours after me!

A couple of points to mention: I too get steering wheel wobble at 70mph - the garage have offered to check this out for me. I have also noticed a 'cloncking' noise when I drive off. The garage say it is the traction control system engaging. Is this true?

Overall though I am dead pleased. My 4 year old son managed to spill Ribena all over the interior but luckly the garage supagaurded it for free!

:help:

Sat Nav!

Guys, can anybody help my dealer has provide the 'Prius' Nav handbook instead of the right one for the Corrolla. On top of that it is in Dutch of course living over here

Some things are therefore quite confusing :crybaby: ie sometimes when pressing the 'DEST' tab on screen I only get the 'MAP' icon highlighted and am unable to select the location address etc etc

Any help most useful as the reference book is of no help whatsoever.

Roger

Hi Everyone

I'm experiencing excessive steering vibrations in the Corolla Verso diesel, I have read that some of you are also experiencing this. I had it checked out and was told it is the nature of the car! I think this could be a fault.

I would very much appreciate your comments.

Thanks

Karl

sparky mpv have you had it sorted? if so was there a problem sry for the late post but i love the little car and have been out in it loads :D but still 70-80 ???? vibration after that not that i do that its fine :D

:D sry seeing the last post is there a problem with the steering or has any one had it sorted love the car i think its great (had a zafira crap) 7 seats in this car is the best thing toyota could have done not all of us need the previa ( CANT PARK THIS LET ALONE THAT) yaris t-sport before lol so you see what i mean :thumbsup: any help plz???

• 4 months later...

:unsure: Bought mine last August.

After five months with it not sure I did the right thing buying one with MultiMode Transmission. The wife loves it to bits, but I find it doesn't let YOU drive it, it wants to drive it's own way. In Auto mode it constantly changes from 2nd to 4th or even 5th when I try to pull away, even fast. Good fun when you're trying to pull out onto a busy carrigeway !?! When I accelerate hard in low gears in auto mode the gearchange can be very harsh and after five months I still can't predict it well enough to do the "MMT lift". I will risk upsetting every blue blooded guy with an MMT model out there by saying I think the MMT model is a womans car. ;)

If you really want a car to DRIVE get the manual model. The build quality is superb however and I've had mine at well over a ton with no problems whatsoever (Except for the ol' Bill). Cornering and roadholding is excellent as well. All in all eight and a half out of ten. If they came with a proper auto box the score would be ten out of ten. :unsure:

• 4 weeks later...

I have had my Diesel for 3 months and pretty happy with it. Sorry petrol owners but i felt the power /torque was not enough on petrol version.

Anyway to divert slightly, as no one seemed to respond to the other thread that i started with this question, therefore i'm piggy back it onto this one in the hope i will get better response.

anyway i was just wondering if anyone has put the 17" 5 spoke alloys on their car as opposed to the std 16"..? I seen pictures of this 5 spoke but seems to either be on european model or it was prototype accessory, but the Toyota www does not seem to have right picture although there is mention of 17" as accessory but the description and picture on the site is wrong, even asked the Parts guy and he was not sure of the wheel let alone the tyres size..?

It just seems to me to look better with those wheels. Thanks in advance anyway.

Rolla Verso on 17"