Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Corolla Verso Model

roger.searle

I would like to import a top of the range Corolla Verso from Japan. Can anyone help in telling me what the vehicle would be known as out there?

• 1 month later...

Hi all, we took delivery of our Verso T-spirit in February 05 and we've been very satisfied. Funny thing is, we went in to the showroom to put a deposit on a RAV- 4 and whilst waiting for the sales rep the Corolla Verso caught our attention.

We run a small events company and with all the seats down it's ideal for lugging our equipment about, we also had the rear windows tinted for extra privacy. The full screen Sat Nav has been a revelation, given us door to door navigation which has spared us hours of getting lost and saved on petrol too.

Only two gripes after three months. We feel it’s underpowered, whilst being adequate for most urban driving conditions, the engine tends to feel ‘sluggish’ under acceleration and often we have to push the revs up to 3000 to get it off the mark quickly. At motorway speeds the engine noise can sound overly harsh and rasping at 70 – 80 mph (but that could be just a 'new car thing'), but generally the drive is smooth. More oomph in the engine by way of a 2.0 litres engine would be better.

The other gripe, concerns the In Car Entertainment system for the T-Spirit. Although the specs (a DVD player with headset monitors and headphones + mp3) are great for entertaining kids & passengers on longer journeys, they are not ideal for us.

We’d become accustomed to a 10 CD changer in our previous car, naturally we specified for a multi-cd changer with the Verso. When it arrived, the embarrassed dealer had ‘forgotten’ to tell us that a CD changer was not an option with the T-spirit, because there’s already DVD unit under the driver’s seat and a climate control(?) unit under the passenger seat. So in one stroke this oversight eliminated the whole reason why we opted for ICE system in the first place.

The brochures, the adverts (and the salesmen) do not explicitly make it clear that the ICE is ‘independent’ of the main car Speakers and driver controls, a shame really. We now have a rather expensive 'gimmicky' entertainment system that is redundant for 99.9% of our journeys.

Haven’t had any of the problems described in the above posts (apart from the underpower issue).

I have had my Corolla Verso Tspirit diesel for 3 weeks. Considering the type of car the build quality and handling is excellent. I have not had the problems noted within earlier posts regarding excessive vibration at speed.

However, I agree with the above post regarding problems with the in car entertainment. I will only be using the in car dvd player during long family journeys. Most days the car will be used for work travel and only listening to music.

I have noticed that the dvd player can play mp3 tracks, it would be perfect if the mp3s could be heard through the car Speakers. I cannot understand why the system has not designed to enable the dvd player to be heard through the main car Speakers.

Does anybody know if there is a way of connecting the dvd player to the main car stereo? Even better could the dvd player be controlled through the main stereo?

Hi there.

I took delivery of my Verso (T3 D-4D) on Monday, and I am loving it.

The one problem that I am having is the wheel vibration mentioned by a few others. Has anyone found a solution yet?

I am not convinced that it is a tracking issue since the vibration is not constant given a constant speed.

I shall be repoting it to my dealer soon, and will let you know of any response.

A couple of points to mention: I too get steering wheel wobble at 70mph - the garage have offered to check this out for me. I have also noticed a 'cloncking' noise when I drive off. The garage say it is the traction control system engaging. Is this true?

The wheel wobble could be a simple matter of wheel rebalancing. The 'clonk' sound you hear is indeed the traction control system engaging. I was concerned about this too until a Toyota mechanic clarified the matter.

Apparently the engine management system monitors the brake callipers to ensure they are fully disengaged. When it's happy, it switches the TRC on, that's when you'll hear the 'clonk' (which is Japanese for 'on' :P). Try moving off gently with the handbrake still engaged and you'll notice a definite 'locking down' the whole car stops dead.

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I have (had) a t3 spirit 4d4 for 2000 miles. Loved the demonstrator, relatively light drive responsive etc.

I've had a few problems however

Boot didn't always register as being closed properly

The funny little box in the middle above the stereo didn't close flush to the dash

Car didnt drive anything like the demonstrator, very heavy and unresponisve. (ironically the Previa I currently have is a lighter drive than my Verso)

It developed a constant unexplained grating squeaking noise on the clutch pedal ( Toyota replaced the gearbox).

Took it on holiday and the clutch completely failed and needed replacing.

I actually really like the car, but not this particular instance of it. I've given the keys and log book back to toyota and asked for a replacement or money back....

I'm guessing that I have been unlucky....

• 2 weeks later...
:unsure: Bought mine last August.

After five months with it not sure I did the right thing buying one with MultiMode Transmission. The wife loves it to bits, but I find it doesn't let YOU drive it, it wants to drive it's own way.

...I think the MMT model is a womans car. ;)

If you really want a car to DRIVE get the manual model... :unsure:

Have MMT 1.8 model about 1 month

My wife loves it.

Do not agee about way of driving with MMT. there is ES(easy sport knob) and if you press it you can drive 50miles on the 2nd gear :)

Changing gears I feel when you depress the acceleration :)

Or the other way we drive it say on motorways:

before overtaking - switching to manual and '-1' - then do what you want without delays!

In general very happy about the car

used Opel Zafira and the rear seats are much better and the way you can lift them any time is perfect

especially when we have baby seat on the second row and previously you have to move all seats forward to lift the back seats - now my wife can do it in seconds

Also individual movements of the seats is excelent!

Have just enroled in your TOC forum.

I am working for a British company and resident in the Netherlands and have just ordered a new Corolla Verso - UK T3 version with MMA (Multi mode Automatic) transmission and full screen nav.

Has anybody over there in blighty beaten me to the same model and has any experiences to tell?

rgds,

Roger Searle

roger.searle@exel.com

I've had one for 2 weeks now and we are getting the hang of driving it. In e mode I find it best to lift off the throttle a fraction just before the automatic change occurs. Or if you want to acellerate faster put it in manual.

Regards

Terry

The funny little box in the middle above the stereo didn't close flush to the dash

I've had the same problem with the central storage box.

The front right hand corner sits lower than the left hand corner when closed. It gives the appearance of not closing properly.

I think this is a design flaw where the storage compartment isn't supported sufficiently and slumps slightly at the front right corner.

• 8 months later...

:) all the reports i got say the verso is brilliant orderd the t180 after test driveing the 140

Have just enroled in your TOC forum.

...have just ordered a new Corolla Verso - UK T3 version with MMA (Multi mode Automatic) transmission and full screen nav.

Has anybody over there in blighty beaten me to the same model and has any experiences to tell?

Hello Roger,

I too am very interested in the new Corolla Verso but as yet have not been able to arrange a test drive so am not able to offer any first hand experiences.

But I have scoured the Internet for reviews and reports are disappointingly consistent in describing the low speed ride as harsh, the engines all grossly underpowered and the MMT transmittion 'jerky'.

Did you test drive before you ordered? I'd be interested to hear if you had the same findings in practice, and even more interested to hear how you get on with it when it arrives. Presumably yours will have the 1.8 litre engine? When are you due to take delivery?

• 7 months later...

I got a T2 1.6 and am pleased so far. Only slight disappointments being the gearbox is nowhere near as slick as my Honda, and the tank only takes me 360 miles before wanting refilled.

Also, if you look at anything on the trip computer nobody can see a clock !

Anybody got any good ideas for fitting a clock that passengers can see but which doesn't look like the kind of thing I had in my old Vauxhall Viva ?

• 2 months later...

I've had the same problem with the central storage box.

The front right hand corner sits lower than the left hand corner when closed. It gives the appearance of not closing properly.

I think this is a design flaw where the storage compartment isn't supported sufficiently and slumps slightly at the front right corner.

mine does this too which means it doesn't always open first time. Has anyone managed to solve it?

• 3 months later...
I have recently bought the new Verso Tspirit diesel. Its a great looking MPV and initially appears to be well built. However, I have noticed some minor quality issues such as the seat belt height adjustment jamming and the lid to the dash storage not closing properly. However, my main concern is the clutch which make a coubik sound when changing gears. I wonder if anyone else has experienced this problem? I am disapointed that I will be visiting the garage after only two weeks of ownership.

Karl.

Hi Karl, I have a Verso 2.2D4D T3 spec, had a legacy of problems. The first was the dash, the top passenger storage lid distorted as did the centre lid. Both were replaced the centre lid has gone again! I started to sound like a Jumbo Jet was taking off at age 6 months. Took 3 visits to find out it was the airfilter, had distorted with heat it had to be replaced and insulated, but that cured the probelm. My clutch felt ropey, the gears clunked going into 2nd, 4th and 6th. Toyota agreed, they put new gear selection cables in at 12 months. The body coloured paint came off all the door handles, revealing the black behind my beautiful metallic blue. Watch out for that its on the line where the handle is moulded. The fog lights had to be replaced, they misted up and filled with water. The on-baord computer is a waste of time. The range is way-out! MPG not good but the engine performs well so perhaps I enjoy the speed too much. Overall not pleased our other car is an Avensis - great. This does not compare, normally I keep a car 5 years. This one will not be kept beyond its warranty. I hope you don't experience this, Toyota main customer service a waste of time make sure your dealer sorts things. Regards, Sib

:thumbsup: Hi all.

Just an update about my Verso VVTi.

I've had it just coming up to three years now and have been, on the whole, pleased with it (except the horrible MMT gearbox, which the wife loves and I hate!)

It did start clonking a bit when changing gear about 18 months back, but we decided to live with it as we couldn't find the time to take back to be looked at. Then, about 3 months ago it got stuck in neutral going round a corner and the transmission warning light came on. I followed the advice in the handbook and eventually the transmission came back to life. We thought this was an isolated incident and decided to see if it happened again. A week later it did...

To cut a VERY long story short, the car had to go back to Toyota and have a new transmission computer, a new clutch actuater, a new clutch plate and release bearing plus a few other bits I can't remember.

Total cost EXCLUDING labour? £1200!!!!!!!! :jawdrop:

Fortunately the car was still under guarantee and Dingles Toyota in Norwich were fantastic.

I was going to keep the car four years ('till the finance is paid off), but not now. It's going to go as soon as the warranty is out.

I could take out extended warranty, but if you check how much Toyota wants, you'll see why I've decided against that course.

Moral of the story? Don't ignore problems with the transmission on this model! :wacko:

Just a note:

The reason the transmission failed is a known fault with the "first batch" of Verso's manufactured. The factory used the WRONG GREASE on the release bearing housing, causing too much drag when cold and overstressing the actuator. That in turn knackered the transmission computer. (Words directly from the Service Manager).

My next car will be a Toyota.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post on the forum. It's a shame so may people come across the forums only when they have an issue!

So I took delivery of a 2008 Corolla Verso SR (1.8 MMT) just 10 days ago which I purchased as a gift for my parents and unfortunately it has not been a good experience so far.

I have experienced the dreaded "N" issue with the MMT gearbox twice since taking delivery just 10 days ago!

When the car is on a hill and you use the hand-brake - the car still rolls!!!!!

The fuel gauge is very misleading - I started a journey with the gauge showing 1/4 tank, after driving just 7 miles the reserve light came on!!

Finally, the door for the storage comparment on the dash board opens of it's own will and random times!

I have had the car for such a short time and luckily my parents are on holiday for another 2 weeks, it would have been so embarrasing to give them a car with such problems not to mention extremely dangerous!

Can anyone offer me any advice??

Thank you,

J.

Hi J.

If I was you, I'd go back to the dealer you purchased the car from and tell them your problems. :boxing:

I'm sure they'll fall over themselves to help. Toyota, in the vast majority of cases, really go all out to solve problems, especially with new vehicles.

If, and I doubt this'll happen, they don't help you to your satisfaction get onto Toyota U.K. and they'll put a rocket up your dealers ***** big-time. :bash:

Just don't take no prisoners. Tell 'em what you want and, if they muck around, tell 'em what you'll do if they don't provide it. :2guns:

Toyota really are a company who take customer service VERY seriously and don't mind jumping all over their dealers if they think it's neccessary.

Good Luck Mate! :cheers:

P.S. Sorry about all the emoticons, just found out how to use them. :yahoo:

Just an update,

I returned the vehicle to my Toyota dealer on Monday morning and got a call from them later in the day where they acknowledged all the faults and said they would "repair" them. I obviously informed them that I wasn't happy that a car which is only 10 days old should need such repairs. The manager was very rude and said "that's why the vehicle comes with a warranty!"

I refused to take back the car on the grounds that I do not feel it is safe for me or my family to travel in, the manager argued some more and said I would have to take this up with Toyota directly.

I called Toyota on Monday and have heard nothing since. I have called 5 times since then and have been informed that due to staff shortages there is a 3-4 day wait before someone will get back to me!! Bear in mind also that I have been offerred no loan vehicle in the mean time.

Help!

:censor:

• 1 month later...

Dear Users

Same problem with our 2004 Verso. MMT failure FLASHING 'N'

My wife was driving it two days ago when the MMT transmission failed. It suddenly went into neutral with the ‘N’ symbol flashing and the car came to a halt, even though the gear knob was still in the drive position. Luckily there were no cars nearby. It could have been a serious accident. Our three children were in the vehicle at the time.

There were workmen nearby on a building site who noticed my wife’s predicament and came to her aid. They could not engage the system either, but they helpfully pushed the car toward the kerb. Our house was a short distance away so she decided to walk home and phoned me to work. Being a man, my first reaction was that her driving skills were at fault. When I arrived home later I walked down to see the car and was able to operate it with no problems.

I am writing to VOSA as recommended and the local TOYOTA dealership have agreed to hook it up to the computer this afternoon FOC

[*]Engine could do with just a bit more power. It's not bad, but the car is quite large, and could do with a little more thrust. I know Toyota is hot on the environment, but they could do with a bigger engine at the top of the range.

Owners of D4D Toyota's may be interested in boosting the power of your car by a minimum of 20%, by fitting one of our fully mapped chip kits details on our website here, discounts to TOC members who register on our website Any questions, please feel free to PM me

Kingo :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links