Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris 1.0, 3rd Gearbox!

Busted Yaris

First time on site, hope this'll be a talking point.

I've got a T reg Yaris GS which is sitting in the dealer waiting for me to cough up £2000 for a new gearbox only 10 months after a new one went in!!! All problems seem to be differential probs which mash my g/box up! Is this normal????

Toyota are saying coz I've put 15" x 7" wheels on it (which is the ONLY thing I've changed) the box is destroying itself. Best bit is apparently NONE of Toyota's work carried out under warranty has any guarantee whatsoever so the box they put in in May isn't guaranteed!!! :angry:

Any suggestions anyone? Do I have the 'Christine' of the Toyota family or what??!!! <_<

fight for the guarantee, it should be at least a year...... oh and 15inch wheels come as standard on t sports so whats there problem?

Sounds like your local garage is taking the ***** mate. Like what yaristpot said you better keep on there back about the years guarantee. All parts fitted by them should have some sort of guarantee?

jerry!!

Not sure about Christine of the Toyota Family, Christine of the Toyota Dealers sounds more like it...

As above I would fight for the warranty, especially if you have had 3 clutches in 5years, if the dealer keeps getting ubiky try speak to Toyota GB, £2000 every 18 months is not on....

Just out of interest, do you take your car on track or race it at all as I can't see how the car is eating clutches so quickly, changing alloy sizes is not going to do that !!

Thanks for the replies guys

I said the work should be guaranteed but all Toyota GB have said is any work carried out under warranty has no guarantee whatsoever but if I paid 2 grand then it would have a year! What's the difference?!!

I'm thinking of some sort of legal action here, this ain't right.

On the wheel subject they said that the GS is tested for 14" wheels so they can't cover any damage caused by putting bigger wheels on it (they called it mis-use of the car - cheeky *****s)!!

nice

ps - Rhaines I've had to replace 3 gearboxes, not clutches.

Sorry was tired when writing repsonse yesterday so put clutch not gearbox....

Legal action would be a suitable step after contacting Toyota GB to see if they can resolve it first or local CAB. It make no sense to get a gaurantee for paying for the job but none for warranty work as it is the same job being carried out with the same parts by the same engineers. Something is definately not right with this and can understand your frustration.

Sticking 15's on a car is not miss-using a car, sounds like they're trying to find a cheeky way out and hoping you won't fight back.

I would definately contact Toyota GB's Head Office, am sure someone on this site can provide contact details first before contacting CAB or solicitor....

Good luck with this problem and please keep the forum updated with any developments as I am sure it is not just myself that would be interested in hearing what happens....

You need to phone customer relations on (01737)367600 and give them all the details.They do confirm that it is a 12 month warranty on toyota gearboxes and will check out your claim when you contact them.Hope it gets the robbing gits for you :ph34r:

Steve....

Can we get a pin-up page with info such as the number supplied by Sorted Avensis, I am sure a number of people on the forum may require or need to contacts like that in the future...

Dont give up on the matter. I'm sure after all the phone calls in the right place they will have to come to sense and carry out the job this time with at least 12 months warranty.

jerry!!

Any warranty work done on your Toyota vehicle has warranty of either until end of your regular warranty or 1 year, whichever comes later...

Here are two possible reasons:

a. your dealer wants to make more money off you, easily checked by calling another dealer and taking your car there... dealers get less money for warranty repairs...

b. This is of course if you are eligible for the warranty... if Toyota GB office does not think this is due to Yaris but due to your xxxxx, they will not approve your warranty request...

Basically, dealer shouldnt have much to do with approving the warranty request - they do the paperwork and send it to toyota office for approval... they get their answer back and they contact you with the info...

btw TTE has 7x15 wheels for Yaris... even 7.5x16

Thats very true. Why blame the wheel size when toyota have alloy wheels on sale in there showrooms for the yaris at 7 x 15". It really doesn't make sense at all :angry:

jerry!!

I had this once where one guy said "oh no... your shocks dont have a warranty" when the other guy said yes I do.. i did some research and asked someone in the trade and then went in and told them that the first guy was wrong and I claimed my brand new shocker 11 months down the line.

All parts that are Toyota parts should have a warranty that they will not fail whithin 1 year.

They are pulling a fast one.

BTW.. what is the name of the dealership?

I think you need to be looking for whatever it is thats causing the gearbox to fail - I know yaris boxes are a bit lumpy and crunchy when cold, but Toyota stuff doesnt fail that oftern. You either give it serious abuse or something is not right and causing it to go - I would suggest that they/you find that reason - else this will happen over and over again if you just have the gearbox replaced. I dont know what tyre size you have on - bet 15 x 7 must have something like a 205x55xR15 ?? if this is the case, as it is with most 15 inch x 7 inch rims, the error is quite big - I dont think this would screw a gearbox in ten months though, not unless you give it some serious stick anyway. They are well within their rights not to deal with you for changing the wheels, if you went with a problem with the power windows, they would not send you away because of your wheels, but when its a problem with something on the drive train, non standard wheels that are different in size to the standard ones could cause problems - this is the risk you take in modifying the car. The best you can do is claim for the warrenty on the gearbox, if its less than a year since you had it changed, but I am fairly sure this is void if the wheel size difference takes the dearing outside of the tolerences. You could always put the old wheels back on and try your luck at a difference garage.

Steve.

Thanks for the posts guys - keep em coming.

the dealers that are messing me about are McCarthy's (Bromley and Croydon) but yesterday spoke to Service Manager at McCarthy Sidcup and he says that although I've changed the diameter of the wheel, he'd only be concerned with the OVERALL diameter, since I've taken off 175x65 R14s and replaced them with 195x50 R15s he said it shouldn't make much difference :(

I'm still in touch with him and he's trying to help me out, here's hoping guys :ph34r:

I reckon my best bet is to get it sorted, finish off the 2 grand I'm still owing on it and sell it on. I doubt I'll buy another Toyota - unless it's a Yaris T-sport turbo I saw at the Birmingham Motor show last year!!!

Thanks guys, I'll keep you all posted - Keep yourselves nice

-Paul

Thats a shame that it has put you off Toyota... :(

Lets hope that it all works out for you. Good luck mate :D

jerry!!

Update:

Got a letter from Toyota GB saying they ain't gonna honour any warranty so that's that. I've also found out that even if I had a complete differential put in, it would still come to LESS than a complete gearbox replacement like I was told at Toyota Croydon! F**king salesmen eh?!

Anyways I'm looking at £1300 to repair the car. :angry:

lol anyone wanna buy it off me after???? :ph34r:

Keep yourselves nice

No thats what i call unfair mate. :(

jerry!!

Yes that really sucks!

I have to say this is a very uncommon bad example of Toyota Quality - I have never heard of anyone going through gearboxes in a Yaris that quickly - To be honest with you, and I personally am not acusing you, but I would think that Toyota are probably suspecting mis-use of the gearbox to cause failure that quickly, 3 times, with no real obvious cause.

It would be understandable if you had one dodgy gearbox, but for two replacements to do the same thing - thats just not normal for toyota stuff!

Steve.

Yeah Toyota are calling it mis-use, caused by and I quote 'Extra Large wheels'. However I have gone to the miata tyre calculator site and although the diameter is the same as my old R14s, the circumference is only 0.2 inches more causing an additional TWO, yes a shocking TWO more revs per mile. Would this SERIOUSLY be enough to do the said damage???

Keep yourselves nice, keep the advice coming.

Any work carried out by Toyota under warranty is only covered until the end of the warranty period or if carried out at the end of the period then it is covered for 3 months which is the legal minimum.

Hey busted yaris. Have you thought of going to your local new paper and tell them the story of how you where treated so bad by your garage. Perhaps your local paper might give you some backing there????

jerry!!

I wouldnt do that - Toyota could take you to the cleaners for that one, it would be different if they were actually in the wrong, but this time its an example of why changing any parts of the car during the warrenty period can have risks - unfortunatly Toyota are right, they probably suspect direct misuse of the gearbox as well, but they don't even have to get onto that subject because you have given them an easy ride with the wheels voiding the warrenty on the drive-train. I changed the wheels on my GS, but it always went into the dealership for service with the standard ones back on it - I will probably do the same with the induction kit on the new one.

Steve.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi busted yaris now i know that this is long in the back tooth. But i was at my local toyota garage. And i noticed a leaflet on the side. I was quite shock to see that they where selling yaris sports accessories. When i read on i saw that they where suppling a yaris GLS 1.0 vvt-i with wait for 15" alloys.

Now i thought that they told you that it was wrong to have bigger wheels on your motor. And that it was causing the damage to the car :angry:

Have a look at this click on my photos

http://photos.yahoo.com/juniorandlorraine

jerry!!

Ello

Thanks guys for all the help and advice but reluctantly, after a hefty fight with Toyota (they kept on referring on and on about their terms & conditions) - still saying I put after market wheels on therefore voided all warranty I had to take the car to a Pinewood garage instead of a McCarthys and they fit a salvaged low mileage (?) gearbox in it for a lump sum £930! nice

Car seems to be running ok now and they said that the wheels shouldn't make a difference if I'm careful

Keep yourselves nice!

:ph34r:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links