Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Flywheel

kash123

Hi,

Just a quick question.

Does anyone know if a IQ flywheel will be covered in Toyota's 5 year warranty?

Car is 3.5 years old.

I have contacted one toyota branch and they have told me they will need to confirm it with there warranty adviser who is apparently sick.

Thanks,

Kash

Think it may depend on whether the fault is a manufacturing fault or wear and tear.

Flywheel, What is wrong with it?

If it's simply worn out with the clutch I doubt it will be covered, clutch, clutch cover and flywheel is a wear and tear item. If it's fallen apart somehow though then maybe it is covered.

I assume the iQ has a solid flywheel and not a dual mass flywheel.

Craig.

The clutch is fine. The flywheel causes vibration in all gears at 2k rpm, I don't think you could count it as a wear and tear item although I wouldn't be suprised if toyota try.

Depends on your mileage. If you're at 11,500 miles then I'd like to see them say it was wear and tear. If you're at 140,000 miles, then you're on your own.

A flywheel can be considered a wear and tear item as the clutch bears directly onto the face of it. If the clutch has been burnt, slipped, wrecked before it can damage the flywheel too so a new clutch sometimes need a new flywheel or they can be skimmed to remove the damaged front face.

I'm kind of surprised they have suggested the flywheel itself. A flywheel is nothing more than a chunk or metal and they really don't change as they get older and I can't see how it would go out of balance unless it was out of balance to begin with.

If they haven't suggested a new clutch too I would get one fitted while the car is in bits. Makes sense to do it and prolong the life of the car before it needs doing again.

Craig.

Yes but the car has only done 30,000 miles and spent 90% of its life on the motorway, so even if it a wear and tear item it shouldn't have worn out that quickly.

They said the flywheel is the most likely cause of the vibrations but need to have a closer look, I think it was faulty from the start tbh. Yes I may change them at the same time depending on cost, although the clutch itself feels fine.

Surprised if it's a knackered flywheel, as said just a disc of metal with teeth around the outer edge aren't they!

All above sounds like speculation on "possible cause" this is not conformed as "root cause" until after flywheel has been examined and potentialy replaced and vibration has been eliminated.

Lets wait and see what the investigation reveals ?

I think a few others have experienced vibration of various types with their IQ and there may well be more than one cause ?

Maybe there is a problem we dont know about with the flywheel becoming un-balanced and this is what all this 2nd gear vibration is all about

David

Maybe there is a problem we dont know about with the flywheel becoming un-balanced and this is what all this 2nd gear vibration is all about

David

Yes David - There is always more that we don't know than we do know, so we can always learn ! Nothing is impossible, just some things might be less likely ! Sometimes we never find out the "real truth"

I may just be a manufacturing defect that slipped past QA, e.g. a sheared or loose bolt.

That would be covered under warranty tho.

I would be surprised if it's a dual mass flywheel; They are mostly seen in higher CC engines and diesels; The 1.0 VVTi is pretty smooth so I don't see them going to the extra cost of using a DMF.

Normal flywheels are just big heavy discs of metal so there isn't anything to really go wrong with them, but a DMF has wearing parts, esp. the springs which are constantly sawing against the inside of the DMF like rasps. Lots of low RPM and high torque will kill a DMF relatively quickly.

That's why I asked. :)

I wonder with the 3 pot 1.0 litre engine whether they actually did install a dual mass flywheel to help smooth it out. Maybe the 1.3 doesn't need one or have vibration issues?

According to the manual I have here the 1.0 engines have a simple, solid flywheel for the manual models. CVT's come with a torque converter and flex plate.

Odd thing is the 1.3 version are more complicated with a one way clutch assembly in them. Anyone have an idea what that is for?

Craig.

post-116364-0-40356400-1412838912_thumb.

post-116364-0-33133400-1412839024_thumb.

• Like 1

According to google/youtube the one way clutch.provides drive in one rotational direction but not in the other. Stating, provides drive but no engine braking

David

That was my first thoughts but my engine certainly does provide engine braking.

Looking again at it I'm wondering if the one way bearing is on the starter ring only. Maybe for the stop start system the starter motor is constantly engaged to reduce the wear you get on the starter ring each time the starter gear engages on a conventional type starter.

Once the starter has started the car maybe the starter ring remains stationary on the one way bearing and the starter motor is always engaged ready to go again when needed.

Craig.

• Like 1

That was my first thoughts but my engine certainly does provide engine braking.

Looking again at it I'm wondering if the one way bearing is on the starter ring only. Maybe for the stop start system the starter motor is constantly engaged to reduce the wear you get on the starter ring each time the starter gear engages on a conventional type starter.

Once the starter has started the car maybe the starter ring remains stationary on the one way bearing and the starter motor is always engaged ready to go again when needed.

Craig.

You've answered your own question, the 1.33 has stop start with a constantly engaged starter motor.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links