Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rear Screen Demister - 2002 Avensis Hatchback

wombling

For some time I have felt that my demister was not functioning correctly and recently, on removing the rear hatch trim to access the wiper motor, I discovered that the twin feeds from the loom to the base of the screen were no longer connected to either the left or right hand side of the screen! I suspect that this ‘accidental disconnection’ may have occurred when a bodyshop repaired third-party damage done to my car, some six months ago.

I now need some advice on how to re-affix these connections, having read elsewhere in these forums, the horror stories of torn-off tabs and melted wiring.

The disconnected surfaces are quite clean, and there appears to be no damage to the ‘tabs’ on the screen itself (see photos).

The million dollar question is….do I apply a dab of solder?….or do I obtain a tab adhesive kit? The 'input pads' on the electrical wiring are non-metallic!

Your observations and suggestions will be appreciated.

post-137378-0-34651900-1412455710_thumb.

post-137378-0-59647300-1412455813_thumb.

post-137378-0-01375200-1412455912_thumb.

If the bodyshop intentionally removed the tabs they presumably had the capacity to reconnect them. Give them a ring for advice. They may even invite you back to do the repair themselves?

• Like 1

I had the same problem with my 2002 Avensis when I had it, must be a common issue. It fixed it with conductive glue, it worked very well and lasted for a few years until I sold the car. Only problem is I had to order it from the USA.

Here's a link to the website, good luck. Tip - take your time, prepare the surfaces well and use LOADS of adhesive!

http://www.frostfighter.com/index.htm

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links