Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Headlight Upgrade

HEMI

Hi,just wondering if anyone has upgraded their headlamp bulbs as the ones in my wife's Aygo are cr@p,I'm alright with them but my daughter who is learning to drive in the Aygo thinks they're not bright (but she is comparing them to my car which has HID's).I don't want to go aftermarket HID's as they can be problematic especially H4 type,I was thinking of Cree but I haven't actually seen the results from Cree with my own eyes. What have you got in your's? any help will be grateful

I agree the standard headlight bulbs are a load of rubbish. I fitted a pair of osram nightbreaker unlimited about two years ago, still going strong and they definitely make a noticeable difference.

we have these fitted Halfords ultra brilliance 120% brighter they are £24.99 each but at the moment its buy one get one free so £24.99 for a pair is good

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/bulbs-wiper-blades-batteries/bulbs/halfords-hbu472ub-ultra-brilliance-car-bulb

Thanks for all that,I can get my hands on some Ring xenon Max for £16.80 a pair so I'll give them a go and see if it makes any difference

The Halfords and Ring bulbs are both made by Alite - and are effectively the same bulbs. So go for whichever is cheapest.

I would go for Philips ecovision H4 bulbs and the reason being that they are bright and last a long time. I had Ring xenon and they were bright but lasted less than a year. Bulb changes are a pain in Aygo and Philips ecovision are bright and long lasting.

Bulb changes are dead easy on the Aygo,try changing a headlight bulb on a Modus,the whole front of the car needs to come off,official book time is 45 minutes and you need every minute too.....lol

Calling it "dead easy" is stretching it a bit, specially when there are so many posts asking and describing how to change the head light bulb in Aygo without thrashing your fingers!

It is dead easy,took me 2 mins to change them,the hardest part was parting the plug off the contacts......Oh by the way,I do this for a living and trust me Aygo's are dead easy compared to other cars......lol

"I do this for a living"! That explains it all. I do not do this for a living and it takes me a long time and sometimes with finger injury too.

• 2 years later...

the reviews on Amazon aren't great plus I doubt that they are road legal in the UK for an Aygo or many other cars. Also washers & auto-levelling are required where LEDs are legal (cars that were homologated with them).

100W/80W Halogens in mine - no complaints about the headlights from me :ph34r:

4 hours ago, unclefester said:

100W/80W Halogens in mine - no complaints about the headlights from me :ph34r:

but probably everybody driving towards you at night .... :tongue:

I hope that is a joke as I am sure that you know that 100/80 W isn't road legal & that probably also as a modification invalidates your insurance.

If the beam cut off is correct - they will (and are) be fine. People generally only flash once ........

still not legal if you are caught/stopped.

Passes mot fine  - not remotely worried  :) more issue with folk who have a light out or badly aligned and more than enough of those for the dwindling number of real police to stop.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2017 at 11:42 AM, Heidfirst said:

still not legal if you are caught/stopped.

Well, I sometimes wonder how some of the cars can still be on the road with no brake lights, Euro side headlights, illegal HIDs etc etc. 

I think at the moment, main beam LEDs are still far from perfect, but I bet that they will be the mainstream soon. 

4 hours ago, Justhandguns said:

Well, I sometimes wonder how some of the cars can still be on the road with no brake lights, Euro side headlights, illegal HIDs etc etc. 

because there aren't enough Traffic Police to enforce the laws (30 years ago never thought that I would be asking for more traffic cops, not fewer ...)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Heidfirst said:

because there aren't enough Traffic Police to enforce the laws (30 years ago never thought that I would be asking for more traffic cops, not fewer ...)

Well, regarding the original post, I had been using Philips's X-treme Vision bulbs for several years and was very pleased with it compared to the stock Osram. They are significant brighter and still lies within the legal limit. 

Off the topic, I just wonder how many of those cars are road legal. Any one of the them would have failed their MOTs on any days. Our police force is being stretched to their limits, and most of them think they have better things to do other than picking on these 'minor' offences (until something major happens).

In 15 years of fiddling with cars / using the internet .... the only people I've ever seen get properly uptight about headlight lamps / HID in reflector type lenses are people on internet car forums.

With any mod you make, you run the risk ( if stopped ) of getting a notice to rectify it within a set number of days followed by an MOT retest on the item(s) that should be rectified. This applies to de-cats / exhausts / oversized wheels that stick out the arches / 'race' spec brake pads / 4 point harnesses on non FIA approved seats  / window tints / blue lights fitted as side lights and the list goes on and on and on.

The fact remains the standard headlights aren't the best and better lamps improve them, it's up to the owner what they do or don't do to their vehicle.

12 minutes ago, unclefester said:

In 15 years of fiddling with cars / using the internet .... the only people I've ever seen get properly uptight about headlight lamps / HID in reflector type lenses are people on internet car forums.

well, where else is it likely to come up /be discussed? :tongue:

• Like 2

lol - it rarely comes up on the MOT forum i frequent and the two mates of mine who are Traffic police don't seem overly interested either so .....

Anyway, 80/100 really does perk up the light output to a useful level so i'll leave them in for now :)