Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2008 Annoying Drivers Window

Julian30

Hi all,

I've got a peeve about my 2008 Prius (which I love generally) and it's that if I have the drivers window open any amount, even a tiny bit, whilst it's raining or drizzling then the water from the windscreen sweep / support strut / door seems to come in the drivers window.

Is this normal and does anyone have a sensible method of dealing with it?

Yes it's normal and yes the window deflectors are the solution. Tens of thousands of taxi drivers have them for a reason :)

Hi all,

I've got a peeve about my 2008 Prius (which I love generally) and it's that if I have the drivers window open any amount, even a tiny bit, whilst it's raining or drizzling then the water from the windscreen sweep / support strut / door seems to come in the drivers window.

Is this normal and does anyone have a sensible method of dealing with it?

Yes, this is normal. A bi-product of the aerodynamic shape, I guess. It also happens if you use the washers on a fine day, so close the windows before washing the windows. :)

Solution: Close the window.

Thanks Everyone,

I had completely forgotten about wind deflectors (shows how long ago I last used a minicab ;-) ), will buy a pair and hopefully not get too frustrated fitting them!

(and yes, I know I could just shut the window but I like a cracked window to reduce the misting up issue :-) )

Only two options that I can see. Fit wind deflectors or keep the windows closed...

Speaking of wind deflectors, they all seem to fit into the channels where they, presumably, add friction that the motors weren't designed for. Anyone had any issues with these things?

"Speaking of wind deflectors, they all seem to fit into the channels where they, presumably, add friction that the motors weren't designed for. Anyone had any issues with these things?"

That's a good point, although minicab drivers wouldn't use them in that case surely?

Get good ones and get the professionally fitted. You'll be fine.

And if you look, every other car in Japan has them. I believe you can get just the fronts or a full set from Toyota. I'm tempted to get some now that sunroofs are no longer common. I like a bit of fresh air in the car and the deflectors allow you to have your windows open without getting rain or buffering.

Just be careful putting the car through a car wash.

Car wash? What is this devilish thing of which you speak?

None of my cars have ever been near a car wash...not while I've had them anyway. Might as well use sandpaper to clean the things...

Car wash? What is this devilish thing of which you speak?

None of my cars have ever been near a car wash...not while I've had them anyway. Might as well use sandpaper to clean the things...

But if you had to have a spotlessly clean car every morning before members of the public get in and out, you'd soon tire of spending 20/30 minutes hand washing every day. That's 5/6 times a week in winter and maybe twice in summer.

Jet washes are as bad as they strip off polish/protection and grease and oil on the brakes/bearings etc. I found a good car wash was the best of a bad lot. But my car was scratched to **** after 3 years. Nothing a professional valet doesn't cure though.

... I like a bit of fresh air in the car ...

don't you mean 'fresh pollution' ? :yucky:

Misting up issue? Have to say I ran a Gen2 Prius for about three years and honestly can say it never misted up once in any conditions. I just made sure the aircon was on permanently and changed the cabin filter annually is all.

Misting up issue? Have to say I ran a Gen2 Prius for about three years and honestly can say it never misted up once in any conditions. I just made sure the aircon was on permanently and changed the cabin filter annually is all.

But doesn't running the aircon constantly negatively affect the mpg?

Not significantly I felt. Average summer readouts on computer were 62-64, with peaks of 67-68 on perfect runs. Depth of winter readouts were just about 10mpg less, so 52-54 with peaks of 57-58.

So the average over the year was about 60-ish on clock, which calculated out as about 57-58 ish mpg in reality overall. I was very happy with that, as nothing else on the market with a similar size and in "auto" got anywhere near that, and many were only half as good.

At that mpg I opted for permanent air con, no misting, and the cabin at a nice 20 all year round. Sorted.

The aircon on a Prius uses electrical power rather than using a power-sapping belt turning a huge compressor. It made no noticeable different to my 2nd gen prius.

Thanks to Bibsy and Korat, good to know, should I use recirculated air or 'fresh' air and should it be just at the windscreen or the 'whole' car on the selection?

In my case I didn't obsess about any of that. I left it in auto all the time and it switched itself about in its own way happily, so it just didn't get touched at all.

FWIW I'm now doing the same in my Auris, and so far the mpg is reading a couple higher than the old Prius, and again, no misting or general fannying about required.

I only use recirculate when I'm behind some filthy bus pumping out loads of pollution that the driver of any vehicle not on local council business would be in court for. Using recirculate can cool the car faster because you're not drawing in as much warm air from outside. Be careful using it without the aircon though, especially if it's raining, that's a sure way to get everything misted up.

I always kept the front demister on when I had my Prius, I found it misted up gradually if I didn't. The disadvantage of keeping it on all the time, of course, is that you're always blowing air onto the screen and that makes it dirty...

I always kept the front demister on when I had my Prius, I found it misted up gradually if I didn't.

Something was wrong with it? Never touched my front demister button once. How strange they all behave a bit differently.

I always kept the front demister on when I had my Prius, I found it misted up gradually if I didn't.

Something was wrong with it? Never touched my front demister button once. How strange they all behave a bit differently.

Yeah, it's strange. Funny thing I've found with my Verso is that it I leave it on auto, everything works really well., If I try to interfere and tell it what to do, everything mists up! It's really difficult to get it to demist the front screen without affecting other things, needs multiple presses on buttons and its just too complicated to do while you're driving so I just leave it on auto...only hit the recirculate button when that mangy bus turns up.