Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Ignition Coil

mr ben

URGENT PLEASE

My engine is cutting out and misfiring when ticking over and running on 2 cylinders. When I reeve it up it goes back on to 3 cylinders. Had the A A look at it twice. The reading on there device was faulty No 1 Ignition Coil Connector.

Replace both Ignition Connector and new Spark Plugs. No Joy? A A back again and he said it cant be that then. They suggested that it maybe the Fuel Injector has gone or a cylinder valve.

Only 40000 on clock

Any suggestions Guys

Mr B

EGR valve anyone?

Try running some injector/fuel system cleaner through it, though if you're running on 2 cylinders you really don't want to be driving it anywhere. How friendly are you with your local Toyota dealers?

If it's running on 2 cylinders and cutting out you really do NOT want to be running it as you will be damaging the catalytic converter and they're not cheap.

Check the following link to see if there are any outstanding recalls on the car;

http://www.toyota.co.uk/owners-info/recall-checker

I'm not right up on IQ recalls as Mrs Cabbie sorts hers out (she owns an IQ). But I'm sure there are some egr valve issues with the IQ. Someone will put you right soon, but double check that above link first (assuming you're in the UK).

• Like 1

Thanks again grumpy

There is no recall issues. I have been told to try liqui moly fuel injection cleaner was told it is good. Worth a try first.

Not if it's the egr valve as it won't help. Even if it was a dodgy injector, the cleaner takes a while to work and I'd be worried about the misfire on your catalyst, especially if the car is cutting out.

I had an egr problem on my Prius and it ran like it was missing, coughed and spluttered and almost cut out at the lights. There were no codes that the AA man could find either. It got much worse and I took it to the dealers and their machine immediately said there was an EGR problem. Upon investigation the egr valve was totally gummed up and needed expensive replacement. The car ran a little rough after but flushing fuel system cleaner and using quality petrol has helped and the car has got better since. I used to use the cheapest petrol, be it Asda, Tesco, Sainsburys etc. Now I use VPower as it has lots of cleaning agents in it. The car runs sweet.

There are known EGR issues on the IQ and you might want to read the long thread about it. I believe it's a sticky at the top. Maybe check to see if you needed the egr recall and whether it's actually been done.

Thanks Grumpy

I note what you say and agree I am going to call Toyota head office tomorrow and see what they say

mr b

Just ring your local dealer. Toyota HQ will probably test your patience and then pass you on to your dealer. You don't say where in the World you are. Most of the Toyota dealers in the UK are good with one or two exceptions. Maybe someone could point you in the right direction?

Just to note the "EGR" issue is not a recall only a bulletin sheet issued

David

Just to note the "EGR" issue is not a recall only a bulletin sheet issued

David

Aha. So if you haven't got a Toyota service history the chances are it hasn't been looked at/corrected?

Just called toyota hq, have been told to speak to CR when they open at 9 30. I have done manager paul corrigan states 5 year goodwill gesture on this issue if your car is past the. 5 year your stuffed. My car is just past the 5 year mark. I told him come on the problim I have only started about 3 weeks ago, I can only deal with a problim when it happens, no joy, called my local toyota and they said bring in 80 pounds to test it and then we see what has to be done

Any suggestions

If the car has a FULL Toyota service history then go back to them and argue the case and see if they'll offer something on a good will basis. But if you don't and you're out of warranty then you're on your own.

Some manufacturers will be flexible with warranty claims that are just outside warranty if you've supported their dealer network. I have made use of such a good will claim when my Prius inverter failed about a year out of warranty. As I had a full service history and we're a two Toyota household, Toyota helped me out on the parts and I paid labour. It was a £2,000 part!

But they draw the line pretty much on the dot if you (or a previous owner) has serviced the car elsewhere at any time.

No my car has not got FSH I live far away from toyota dealer. But car has been serviced reg. Any way I do feel this is out of order my car has done 40000 not much I would say.

Is there not a issue about fit for resnable use

Ok this is straight from the horses mouth (my Toyota contact)

They do have a 5yr good will warranty. When its outside that period then its at the discretion of customer relations who will only move if you have a full toyota service history. I know this for definite as i tried to do this for another member but fell down on the service history. At present you dont know if thats the fault you have. If it is you can rectify the problem for up to another 60k miles by replacing the inlet manifold No1 which is what gets sooted up causing hesitancy when accelerating from low speed. Or you could remove it and clean the ports in it.

The symptoms are not as you describe though

David

• Like 1

Hi david how are you?

Going at 4 today to put car on the test thing at local garage the guy has the full works for toyota. So hopefully find the problem

Robert

Yes i have the Toyota diagnostic software. You can run the engine and see a live reading how the engine is. Fingers crossed they find it

David

• Like 1

Hi david

the local garage guy was not sure so I went back to toyota they said that in there opinion it would be the egr that needs a clean.

Anyone done this is it easy access

Mr b

Yes david good stuff on it. No not overnight over the past weeks thats way the toyota man said the egr might be blocked up and needs cleand. By the way I did change my spark pluges no need to drain off the water just push the throttle body two one side after you take off the 3 bolts 1nut off then you get access to the ignition coils it takes about 15 mins

Thats good nice and easy. If you look at the tthread "Loss of power on accelleration " i have detailed what the problem is from tbe bulletin note. You have to clean the small ports on the intake manifold No 1 or replace it if you can't clean it. It has the part numbers on there for the gasket as well. From the CD you can see if its something you want to tackle yourself or a garage

David

Yes david I may have go at it. Just like the plugs that no one would try. I just hope that you dont not dran off the water first. Whats in the egr is it fuel or what anyone got a close up pic of one what it bloked up with?

mr b

Have never heard of cylinders missing due to any EGR problem.

Clogging of the EGR system does something to the on-board-computer and the the engine is then overruled and withdrawn from any power ...... but nowhere I have read anything about misfires or no-fires on any cylinders or...

So.. Imho it's not an EGR issue.

But then again ... waI (who an I)?

Well peter you maybe right. You will not beleave this. This afternoon took the 3 plugs and ics out cleand them wd in them put all back again. Put 50k cleaner in the fuel and low and behold after runing the car in 2 and 3d at hight reves for 30 mins. Back out tonight and its ticking over and smooth like a babys bum.

Cant beleave it. Get this stuff guys and put in in.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links