Do Not Sell My Personal Information

"hidden" Features

Bibsy

Have you come across any counter-intuitive or hidden features on your car we might all enjoy?

I've just discovered for example, that on my Auris HSD, it has two trip meters, A and B. Well, I knew that, but what I didn't know was:

If you press the button embedded in the display (not the steering wheel button) then it resets the trip mileage to 0. Big deal. But if you have the headlights on at the time, pressing and holding it alters the instrument display brightness to your taste.

Who knew!

Manual page 192.

Most people who have checked the manual as regards dimming or brightening the instrument lighting. This feature is common to both the first generation and second generation Auris, whether petrol, diesel or hybrid, and was also on the previous generation Corolla (2002-2007).

Oh. Well it was new to me. I'll have to try harder!

Not sure from memory how the Prius worked with display brightening.

Ok, here was another new to me - on all my previous Lexus/Toyota models, the cruise control disabled when you went below 25mph. It then forgot the setting, so if you wanted to resume your speed of say, 60, you had to accelerate up to 60 again and set it. On the Auris, that doesn't happen. It disables at below 25, but once you get over 25 again a resume takes you back to your original cruise speed.

...on all my previous Lexus/Toyota models, the cruise control disabled when you went below 25mph. It then forgot the setting, so if you wanted to resume your speed of say, 60, you had to accelerate up to 60 again and set it. On the Auris, that doesn't happen. It disables at below 25, but once you get over 25 again a resume takes you back to your original cruise speed.

That was a pet hate of mine, as on the A11 between Bedfordshire and Norfolk there are lots national speed limit dual carriageways with numerous roundabouts punctuating them - I always seemed to drop just below that 25 mpg and flick resume to no effect.

It was fixed when the 2009 Gen 3 Prius came out, and other Toyota Hybrids seem to have got the same treatment, presumably as they have all been launched since 2009.

With all these 20 mph speed limits around now (very hard to hold in a Hybrid without constantly checking the speedo) it would be really useful if it worked at 20! At least in the Prius the Heads Up Display helps.

I just wish adaptive cruise was available sensibly (I know it's been in the Prius for a while, but finding a used one is very hard). Anyway, the Toyota Adaptive Cruise, if you ever get one, is pants anyway, as it still cuts out below 25. And even that is not available on any other Toyota model in the UK at all.

Bearing in mind even a lowly VW Golf SE at 16 or 17K gets full "down to zero and resume" adaptive cruise as standard now, Toyota ought to be upping their game on that one as a company that does gadgets. You can even spec it for a few hundred on a VW Polo.

Perhaps for the next Prius.

I know adaptive is one of those Marmite products of course - love it or loathe it. Personally I'd love it.

I just wish adaptive cruise was available sensibly ... I know adaptive is one of those Marmite products of course - love it or loathe it. Personally I'd love it.

same here - I was lent a few Lexus models with it when I managed a large Fleet of Prius.

After the first couple of times it put the brakes on (with my foot hovering nervously over the brake pedal), I settled down and found it really made a journey even more relaxing.

I did consider going for a new T Spirit with the Technology Pack to get the adaptive cruise (with some desirable [iMHO] safety features too), but couldn't live with the 17" wheels that slay the aerodynamics (made the CD figure worse then the Gen 2!) as well as all the other disadvantages that go with the silly wheels.

Going back to the Lexus, I did find it amusing when it braked for you that two little brake lights lit up on the car image next to the speedo!

It's the little stuff isn't it though. I remember being terribly excited when I first had my LS430 and discovered the vents twizzled about to point the air in various places all by themselves!

Some tech isn't so good though. The Lane Keep Assist on a Honda Accord frightened the Mrs witless, as it kept very carefully to the LEFT of the lane, not the middle. Use it on a motorway to overtake a lorry and as the passenger she was about three inches from it.

If you're a car gadget freak and really want to drool, the link below is for a YouTube video showing the Tesla official guide for a new owner to go through the car's features - but even on the £58k model, you have to pay extra for heated door mirrors that electrically fold as well!

http://youtu.be/6HtlmNzqQdo

Not much else missing though!

Thanks for that - he's Alan Partridge's American cousin, isn't he.

That was just a big iPhone and loads of doodah about how to set the radio and change it from centigrade to Fahrenheit though. Nothing about "press this button and it will automatically blindfold you and drive you the Moon whilst grinding the beans and making you a coffee", which is what I really want from my cars.