Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Limp Mode Issue

ejabrod

I don't know how to tell if it happens before or after the thermostat opens tbh.

I've cleaned the EGR and the solenoid was moving freely.

I thought it was the injectors but when I had it on the diagnostic the error was a boost condition, didn't refer to the injectors at all.

It may cost £40 in the UK but it's €139 over here :O

So, has anyone experienced limp mode as a result of a failing/failed injector?

I'm considering getting a 05 Corolla D4D, anyone made the switch?

not made the switch but if its the 2.0 it will the same engine in a smaller car, unless your going for the 1.4 most likely to be underpowered.

my advice would to find out what the problem is with yours. it may be something simple.

• Like 1

I have booked in with Mr T, this afternoon.

Will he really be able to tell if an injector is failing/failed via diagnostics?

Unless the turbo or actuator are on the way out again, I can't think what else it could be.

It's weird as it happens once a day, usually in the morning on the way to work, cruising along at 80 (3K revs) and then all of a sudden it drops revs (to 2600) and no response from the throttle.

Have to bring the car to a stop, switch off and back on again and it's fine for the rest of the day.

Ejabrod you really should Chen the electrical connector loom connecting to the throttle body as stated earlier. Your symptoms are identical to mine was and that was my problem. A Toyota techie told me my problem.

• Like 1

Thanks George, I will have a look at the weekend.

The reason I think it may not be this is the hesitation I sometimes experience going up the gears and the BIG puff of really black smoke which follows

I had all that too. You'll have take off the throttle body to repair the loom. When I had mine off I was able to clean out manifold too. It was clogged up bad with carbon buildup.

• Like 1

Had the car with Mr T and he is convinced it is the turbo.

2 Fault codes showed up (dont know which ones exactly) he said both were related to the turbo (over boost I think)

Unfortunately the limp mode issue is becomming more frequent....4 times in total today (I know I really shouldn't be driving but I don't have a choice the last few days)

Thinking of getting another turbo tomorrow and fitting it

Does anyone know if a fulty injector would show up on diag?

I will be looking at the loom on saturday

how much did mr T charge.

surely they will have done a full diagnoses on the whole engine.

is yours a t22 or t25?

They charged me €40 and it took approx 30 mins. I had called another T dealer and they quoted me €139!!!

I believe it's a T25 (late 2003 newer shape) and yes I would hope they would have done the whole engine but I wasn't sure if a bad injector would throw a fault.

It's really bugging me as when I'm cruising on the MW 2800/2900 rpm and all of a sudden no acceleration and gradually decreases the rpm's until I pull in, shut down the engine and restart.

The speed/rpm's are constant when it happens. I went for a drive tonight (urban) and intentionally pushed the car into boost, multiple times and it didn't go into limp mode????

It seems to only be on the MW that this happens while cruising at a steady pace....

was this replacement turbo new or used?

the problem is with these injectors they have to be coded into ecu, not something a every garage can do.

if you have fault codes for the turbo- I would start there. if going for a used one try and get a low mileage one.

Thanks (for the reply!) :)

The turbo was a reconditioned one but when the actuator rod snapped I replaced the actuator with the one from to old turbo.

Yeah, the injectors would be something I would be wary of doing. If I was to send them away for refurb I would have to be assured I would get the same ones back and if one was gone beyond repair, then I would be a bit fúcked

Had any luck yet, I read all replies about your problems , and I still think it's the EGR. Why you ask, because it the same problem I had MW DRIVING going along 70/75 mph all of a sudden no power , had change down gearbox jumping like Kangaroo , and then black smoke after that it cleared it self and was fine for rest of the journey .it was usually 1/3 into my trip of 50 miles that's why I asked you was it before or after the thermostat opens, because the EGR stays shut until the tem censor tells the ECU to start operating the EGR. If the solenoid as stopped working and sticks in the shut mode, the ECU put the engine into limp mode. Well that's happened with my car. I put a new ERG On no problems since then touch wood .

Sent from my iPad using Toyota OC

Thanks for that DOG.

I haven't had any luck yet. I bought a turbo today but will not be able to fit it this weekend,

I will however be able to inspect the EGR and clean it down.

If it was the EGR I would have thought it would show up on the diagnostic when Mr T was looking on thursday. Also the codes were for boost condition.

I would love if it were the EGR, that would be such an easy fix.

I will keep the thread updated

I cleaned the EGR today.

Didn't get to look at the loom and I have sourced another turbo which I will be fitting next weekend.

Will keep the thread updated.

Hi ejabrod, have you checked the solenoid is working correctly on the EGR valve, just cleaning inside bore and piston, springs etc, does not mean the valve as a whole is working! Just thinking!!

Sent from my iPad using Toyota OC

HI DOG,

I didn't. I just cleaned inside bore and piston, springs etc.

Unsure how to check if the solenoid is functioning correctly?

Just a quick update.

Today I drove to work (100 motorway miles) and the car did NOT go into limp mode.

I'm not yet sure if this is coincidence or if cleaning the EGR did it.

See how the drive home goes

Thanks DOG,

Hoping this might be it but won't hold my breath :D

So, two more 100 mile MW trips without the car going into limp mode.

Surely this can't be a coincidence???

• Like 1

Hi ejabrod, the best thing you can do now is to use only main steam fuel, and put some forte or arcoil cleaner in your fuel . By main steam I mean Shell ESSO BP etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Toyota OC

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links