Who uses aftermarket air filters

What brands do you all use

I have seen quite a few places are doing them now i.e

Itg

Bmc

K and n

Jetex

Pipercross

I like the work aidan .. looks like some proper b**t**disng tho did u force fit that cone or find a proper size diameter for the pipe ....

Si from what I can gather a lot of people would be using k and N do you have any issues with the MAF sensor on the as a K and N filter is supposed to be oiled isn't it

The cone fit straight on, as it was an old one, I just though that i'd put a hole in the neck and secure the MAF with silicone sealant. I havent oiled any of my cone air filters, and lots of people I know havent either, as far as we can see its just a way for companys to make more money. Of course we could be wrong.

I think the cone filters are fine (never oiled mine either ) as they are exposed to engine heat which would keep them a bit more dry I was wondering whether people have done the panel ones as the box always has moisture and craps in it

The point of oiling the filter is that the sticky oil traps the dirt...

I thought it would have been to stop the corrosion

The oil is applied very sparingly and it is used to help the filter trap very fine port. I've had no issues with mine at all. And it's the first thing I do when I've bought any car is to change the filter to a K&N one.

Si

Sent from my iPhone using Toyota OC

Normally I swap mine straight out for a aftermarket filter but I usually drive older cars so no MAF sensor to worry about ... And I have never oiled them anyway

I had a K&N panel filter in my Avensis T180 2.2L oil burner. Never had a problem with it and always cleaned and oiled. As mentioned, the oil is on there to catch fine particles. It's an old wife's tale that the oil messes up the MAF from these cotton filters.

Fair enough ... It makes sense that is a a bit of a lie about the oil unless you soak it ... Thought it would be to stop the metal gauze that's on it from rusting that's about it

These filters do allow the engine to breath better! But not as good at filtering as a normal paper one! But when you think that these will last 1 million miles! Then the cost of them are fantastic. I have a HKS mushroom filter on my GT4. Not as good as a panel filter getting a cold air feed! But sounds cool :)

I have a panel one on my avensis 2.0d4d 116bhp. I did it only for cost reasons. As i drive in dusty roads I change mine at least once a year. Cost of original one is 25Euro. Cost of K&N 50Euro + 18Euro for the refiller kit. So after 3 changes (2 years) it got even(7euro cheaper to be exact). After that is a lot cheaper (around 3-5euro per clean up, depending on the dusting). Well it takes time to clean and dry and oil again, but come on it's almost free. It's really good deal if you change it so often as i have to. But if you do this once every two years... Well I do not have problems with the MAF sensor after oiling and i'm not sure that it runs better, it's not worse for sure, so it is a win for me.

Ye I change my filter 3 times a year as I'm doin a lot of miles up and down the motorway all the time my car has an easy life but it gets serviced all the time and I don't scrimp on it either ... Happy to spend money but like you say the cost thing is better suited to get a performance panel filter

I've used K&N panel filters for the last 4 cars I've owned - a Fiat Stilo, Nissan Almera, Toyota Supra & Auris SR180. None of them had any problems with the MAF oiling up & performance was either same as a normal filter or a little better. I honestly think if you're keeping a car for several years then they are a good investment. Good oil and good filters help an engine's life every time. :)

• Like 2

Was there a big difference in noise

Any one got any videos of panel filter engine noise

Not much to be honest Ben - if you listen carefully on a well-surfaced road, then you can hear a bit more induction from the air box & whistle from the turbo. But it's minor, certainly not obvious. Just out of curiosity, I bought an aluminium intake pipe which the MAF fits perfectly & put a cone filter on the end of it. It was semi-shielded from the engine heat, but I still found no difference in performance. More importantly it sounded rubbish ! It made a droney kind of noise & wasn't nice at all (more obviously diesel-like), so off it came & back in went the panel filter. Quieter & smoother :)

I've had a small increase with induction noise but not a lot to be honest

Sent from my iPhone using Toyota OC

I've been playing companies off each other to see who will give one to me the cheapest

• Like 1

I wouldn't bother with these induction kits! You can't really sheild them that well from the hot engine. Cold air feed is far better and gives you more performance. Thats why in winter your mpg goes down! And your bhp goes up a little. And the opposite in Summer.

This is purely just using a replacement panel filter as doing cold air or cones requires butchering stuff ... And for people owning cars long term is worth doing as u don't have to constantly replace it

The only reason why my GT4 has a HKS induction kit on it, is because it was already on the car when I bought it! I've always run K&N panel filters on all of my cars. By far the best and in the long run the cheapest bang for your buck if you plan on keeping a car for a while. I had one on my VW for over 10 years! Paid for itself time and time again :)

I'm just weighing up whether to go with jetex or k&n

• 5 years later...

Hi all, today a had a look at replacing the air box with a cold air induction cone filter. It looks like the mass air sensor in moulded and cannot be removed from the air box. Has anyone run into this issue? 2007 Toyota Auris. 

Many Thanks,

Danny