Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Winter Tyres Or All Weather Tyres That Is The Question

catboy

Seeing everyone seems to love winter tyres, no drop off in MPG, no deterioration in the summer etc., etc . Would it not be prudent to fit winter tyres to the existing wheels and offload the older tyres on the web, then there is no changing of wheels/tyres and no storage problems and less outlay.

IF I decide to go for winters, I will probably swap them onto my existing wheels for now, and see how they go.

I always replace at 3mm, so if I think I can live with winter tyres all year, after 2 or 3 summers I should be able to wear the summer ones down to that (swapping ends so they reach 3mm at roughly the same time) and then I'll consider using winters continuously thereafter.

if you are thinking about using 1 tyre all year round then something like a Goodyear Vector4 Season is worth considering (particularly in a climate like the UK where we really don't see a lot of snow). Not as good at either extreme as a Winter or Summer but better than a Summer in Winter & a Winter in Summer.

thanks for your winter tyre suggestions,I am shopping around trying to find the best deal.The local tyre supplier in our area has a budget tyre the brand is Jynyu,tread pattern is similar to Nokian winter tyres but I think that's where the similarity ends.Has anybody used these Jynyu if so how did they measure up in the snow.

if you are thinking about using 1 tyre all year round then something like a Goodyear Vector4 Season is worth considering ...

Thanks, that would certainly be worth thinking about, but as I've bought new Dunlop Sport BluResponse all round in the last year, they're still fairly new (3k miles on rears, 12k on fronts - 5mm remaining) so I don't want to get rid of them at the moment.

TBH thats mainly their problem though, not going to be going as your fault if they've rear ended you. Luckily never been rear ended in the snow myself, although have been during the summer on 3 different occasions.

Not entirely true in snow and/or serious winter conditions.

If there is extreme weather such as a snow covered road and someone slides into the rear of your car, it is just knock for knock unless you can prove they were negligent. If they were travelling at 10 mph, slid on covered black ice towards your car whilst blasting their horn before hitting your car, then that's not negligent and your repairs come off your bonus. Obviously if you were rear ended by a Range Rover when you stopped at a traffic light in snow, then it could be argued they were negligent as if a Yaris can stop in the bad conditions, a 4x4 should have too.

The days of being hit in the rear being totally 100% non fault are gone.

Get a dash cam :)

• Like 1

Hello

I have a set of Achilles 215 45 R17 used last winter for about 5,000 miles. Prius now sold :oops:. Tyres were excellent and gave a lot of confidence in slush and heavy rain last year. Fuel consumption dropped from my usual 62mpg to about 58mpg but well worthwhile.

No punctures, no damage.

So, anyone interested? £20 each to collect ML12 or carriage at your expense. Or make me an offer.

Shame for them to waste.

David

I've got a set of Avon ice tourers to put on my Aygo in a week's time, Toyota Huddersfield are going to change them for £10 a tyre and store the summer ones for free. My Aygo is new this year so initial outlay from mytyres was £126.80 for all 4 tyres.

Reviews of the Avons seem quite good and they're rated highly. I did a bit of research on youtube as to how winter and all season tyres perform against each other and the difference was remarkable; i.e. all season tyres were rubbish compared to the winter ones. For me I'll never be without winter tyres, have always had them on for winter since 2010.

TBH thats mainly their problem though, not going to be going as your fault if they've rear ended you. Luckily never been rear ended in the snow myself, although have been during the summer on 3 different occasions.

Not entirely true in snow and/or serious winter conditions.

If there is extreme weather such as a snow covered road and someone slides into the rear of your car, it is just knock for knock unless you can prove they were negligent. If they were travelling at 10 mph, slid on covered black ice towards your car whilst blasting their horn before hitting your car, then that's not negligent and your repairs come off your bonus. Obviously if you were rear ended by a Range Rover when you stopped at a traffic light in snow, then it could be argued they were negligent as if a Yaris can stop in the bad conditions, a 4x4 should have too.

The days of being hit in the rear being totally 100% non fault are gone.

Get a dash cam :)

I beg to differ, I work in the insurance industry, a claim would only ever go 50/50 or knock for knock if liability is joint, or can't be proven to be solely the fault of one party. The examples you have given lie blame solely on the person going into the rear of you as they're obviously not driving to the conditions of the road, and if you've managed to stop and they haven't this couldn't be more factual.

And I've been a dash cam user since 2008 :)

• Like 1

That's ok if you have a dash cam or a reliable witness or two. Only once have I been hit by someone who played fair when it came to insurance.

Even the guy who went through a red light and totalled my first Prius 12 years ago tried to get his insurance company to hold me responsible! (luckily I did have enough reliable witnesses). Still cost me a lot - premium went up even though I kept my no claims discount, and I lost £2½k on the car I'd had just 6 months! Moreover, nearest equivalent I could find to replace it was £1k more (but slightly newer and lower mileage).

I beg to differ, I work in the insurance industry, a claim would only ever go 50/50 or knock for knock if liability is joint, or can't be proven to be solely the fault of one party. The examples you have given lie blame solely on the person going into the rear of you as they're obviously not driving to the conditions of the road, and if you've managed to stop and they haven't this couldn't be more factual.

And I've been a dash cam user since 2008 :)

lol, I stand corrected then :wacko:

A word of caution - with winter tyres in snowy conditions you have to be particularly aware of tailgaters as your stopping distance is likely to be far less than theirs!

On the plus side, you are less likely to crash into the car in front as it spins out of control.

I would hope that since winter tyres especially in the wet on motorways throw up even more spray due to their effectiveness in spraying water and snow away from the tyres, that drivers will give more distance behind you. This video shows my previous yaris and its winter tyres (marangonis) in action.

One thing I forgot to factor in was the auris Hybrid i purchased has electronic tyre valves so if I decide to have a spare set of wheels with snow tyres this adds something like £50 to each wheel.Is there any way the tyre pressure light on the dash can be bypassed.I am still going to get a set of winter tyres so it looks like leaving them on all year round.

Just for info - tyre pressure monitoring systems, where fitted, have formed part of the MOT since 2012, which means that one faulty sensor will be an MOT fail. Bypassing the warning light I would imagine would also be an MOT fail. Something to consider when changing the car.

One thing I forgot to factor in was the auris Hybrid i purchased has electronic tyre valves so if I decide to have a spare set of wheels with snow tyres this adds something like £50 to each wheel.Is there any way the tyre pressure light on the dash can be bypassed.I am still going to get a set of winter tyres so it looks like leaving them on all year round.

Can you just have the tyres changed to winter ones and ask the dealer to store the summer tyres for you?

The last time I did this my Toyota dealer swapped and stored them free of charge.

• Like 1

...Bypassing the warning light I would imagine would also be an MOT fail...

Yes, if it's fitted, it must work.

Equally, if you got stopped by the Police for any reason, driving a car that would fail an MOT test is an offence, but of course getting stopped is pretty unlikely these days, and being stopped by an officer who understands all these laws is even more unlikely.

• Like 1

Does anyone know the cost of the Toyota electronic tyre pressure valves

The "book" price seems to be about the £50 mark... (from Toyota) Equivalents can be found for less. In both cases you will either need to get a dealer to register the ID's for you or have your own OBDII VIM, Laptop and Techstream software to do it yourself...

I called into my Toyota dealer and asked him how much it would be to remove the tyres that are on my car and fit my own set off winter tyres.The car is fitted with electronic tyre valves so these would remain on the car and and winter tyres fitted and balanced.They quoted me £85 to do this I thought it was a bit expensive so I called into quick fit.They quoted me £35 for doing the same job,this was a much better quote but I thought about it a bit and came to the conclusion that if quick fit damaged the tyre sensors I would have further problems.So what would be your thoughts pay the extra at Toyota or go down the cheaper route.Anybody had experience of having tyres changed and keeping the original pressure sensing valves.

Do you have a service plan? If so, you can often get a percentage off a combination of either parts, labour and/or accessories. For example mine provides 10% off parts, labour and accessories.

I called into my Toyota dealer and asked him how much it would be to remove the tyres that are on my car and fit my own set off winter tyres.The car is fitted with electronic tyre valves so these would remain on the car and and winter tyres fitted and balanced.They quoted me £85 to do this I thought it was a bit expensive so I called into quick fit.They quoted me £35 for doing the same job,this was a much better quote but I thought about it a bit and came to the conclusion that if quick fit damaged the tyre sensors I would have further problems.So what would be your thoughts pay the extra at Toyota or go down the cheaper route.Anybody had experience of having tyres changed and keeping the original pressure sensing valves.

Call them back and ask them why they're so expensive, thats well over the odds to be honest.

That's £70 plus VAT, probably an hours labour, seems reasonable to me seeing how you are not buying the tyres off them.

That's £70 plus VAT, probably an hours labour, seems reasonable to me seeing how you are not buying the tyres off them.

lol there is that. I'll buy my tyres somewhere else cos they're cheaper, but can you swap them round and store them for me?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links